PDA

View Full Version : New swimming gizmo

aquageek
June 24th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Saw this on CNN.com today.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/06/23/spark.goggle/index.html

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Where i went to college, Knox college, the student union is called the Gizmo or the giz for short.

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 24th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Isn't this illegal for meets/ How would you check fir it at a meet?

Seagurl51
June 24th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Wow! Those are amazing. I know I often fall victim to losing count and time, so I can see this being a huge asset. I bet it costs a fortune though.

aquageek
June 24th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I can see where this would be a great training tool, having the constant feedback on your time at various stages of training. I always have trouble on my 200, going out too quick and coming home too slow. Knowing that type of info real time could really help with getting your pace correct. I'd still probably stink it up in the race, however.

SwiminONandON
June 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Well she's not all that bright as she said she would swim 20 laps and trick herself in to thinking she swam 25 ... I always know whether I've swum an even amount or an odd amount of laps at least ...

All kidding aside, that would be cool ...

msgrupp
June 24th, 2005, 03:09 PM
but distracting as H(*LL. I think there was something like this out a few years ago. I remember it was something that was stuck on the lens and at least gave you the time.

I've got enough problems seeing in the water without having something stuck right at the end of my eyelashes!

nkace
June 24th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Gotta love the wave of the future w/ all this technology but what if it breaks, do you get zapped? Yikes! :eek:

Glenn
June 25th, 2005, 01:23 PM
This is an interesting technology that gives a bit more information than the Time Window. I have used the Time Window off and on for a few years. There is a little suction cup where you can attach it to your goggles and a little leash so that when they fall off (which has happened a few times) you don't lose them. It is a little tricky to position them on the right spot on your goggles but once you do that it doesn't take much time to get used to seeing the time.

The TW works fairly well but they don't have a lap counter. However, if you know about where you should be in your split, you should be OK. They are great for swimming a negative split repeat and for learning pace.

Look in the Keifer catalog I think they are around $25. Also when the battery dies you can send it back to the company and for a small price will install a new battery.

Glenn

joy
June 26th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Is that a nike swoosh on the front of those goggles? Are these being marketed by Nike and are they out yet. The article was very vague. Only telling what they googles could do. This would be perfect for working out as long as the battery last for a while.
To bad you can't replace it yourself & save a bit of bux.

fatboy
June 27th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I think that is a Speedo logo. The article mentions a prototype. I got the impression they are not available for sale yet.

Guvnah
June 27th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by msgrupp
but distracting as H(*LL.

If you wear glasses, you will find that you tend to block out smudges and scratches on the lenses unless you think about them.

I suspect a swimmer using this product will develop the ability to block out the display unless s/he wants to focus on it.

Sonic Swimmer78
June 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by joy
Is that a nike swoosh on the front of those goggles? Are these being marketed by Nike and are they out yet. The article was very vague. Only telling what they googles could do. This would be perfect for working out as long as the battery last for a while.
To bad you can't replace it yourself & save a bit of bux.

Looks like a "Speedo Boomerang" to me rather than a Nike Swoosh. I wonder if they'll be able to develop corrective goggles with that technology. The lens almost reminds me fo the green scouters that the Sayajins use in Dragonball Z to measure the power levels of their enemies or opponents. :lol: I'm getting all Anime now!

*shuts up*

Alex
June 30th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah

I suspect a swimmer using this product will develop the ability to block out the display unless s/he wants to focus on it.

I wonder how can anyone focus something in this very small distance?

Alex :cool:

jswim
June 30th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Hey those do look pretty cool! Though I wonder how they feel in the water. the article said they don't take much getting used to, but who knows. everyone is different and has a different shaped face.

as for having a distracting object right in front of your eye, perhaps someday they'll start making "smart pools" where you can program your info in at the end of the lane and it will display on a screen at the bottom of the pool as you swim by.. :) including your swimming speed, split times, and lap your on!
ahhhh.... the technology of the future!

valhallan
June 30th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by jswim
ahhhh.... the technology of the future!

whatever happened to just good old brain power ? ;) If you can't count the laps...become a sprinter :cool:

laineybug
June 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I've always thought someone should 'invent' a personal touch pad.... a device you hang on the wall at the end of the pool. It could transmit number of laps, splits, total time/distance to a reciever that is tucked under your cap. It wouldn't matter if you were swimming with lanemates who might also touch the pad, because the reciever could also transmit a signal the pad would recognize and know when it was you who touched it.

Okay, when this shows up on the market. I want my share of the profits.

Lainey

jswim
July 5th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by valhallan
whatever happened to just good old brain power ? ;) If you can't count the laps...become a sprinter :cool:

lol.. what brain power?.. you won't find any here! ;)

another good idea laineybug!

fatboy
July 5th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by laineybug
I've always thought someone should 'invent' a personal touch pad.... a device you hang on the wall at the end of the pool. It could transmit number of laps, splits, total time/distance to a reciever that is tucked under your cap. It wouldn't matter if you were swimming with lanemates who might also touch the pad, because the reciever could also transmit a signal the pad would recognize and know when it was you who touched it.

Okay, when this shows up on the market. I want my share of the profits.

Lainey

It should be possible to do this using the soemething like the chip timers that are used in open water races (and triathlons,etc).

They are radio frequency and are keyed to individuals so it should be able to sort out multiple lanemates. Would just need a cheap enough receiver and a way to make it count laps.

Maybe you leave your chip at the end of the pool and the receiver gets built into a watch.

Any Engineers out there? What do you think...

valhallan
July 5th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I've always thought someone should 'invent' a personal touch pad.... a device you hang on the wall at the end of the pool. It could transmit number of laps, splits, total time/distance .............would recognize and know when it was you who touched it.

I've got something very similar to what you've described.
We like to call "it" Coach. And without him...workouts wouldn't be the same.

In Ande's absence.... swimming tip 99...Be kind to your coach.:)

laineybug
July 5th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I think it would be better to have something you could tuck in a pocket that is inside your cap over your ear, that way you don't have to modify your stroke to read the watch or ring... just swim on.

Some folks don't have coaches. :(

valhallan
July 5th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Some folks don't have coaches. :(

Necessity is the mother of all inventions. ;)

geochuck
July 5th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Best new tech is to swim, swim, swim. All the gizmos in the world won't help you swim better.