PDA

View Full Version : Too much? How much?

thinkersw
June 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I am moving somewhere where I won't be able to swim much for two years. Anyway, I made it my goal to swim 15,000 meters straight in four hours. I was only able to swim 14,000 meters, but it was a great experience. I actually had time to finish another thousand, but my body died on me. I should also say that I have not been training like I usually do, so this was a lot of swimming. It was a great accomplishment and I can now go without swimming for awhile. My question is, what is the most you have ever done in a workout or in a day and what has it meant to you?

In my case, this was the most I had ever done in a workout. Most in a day was 25,000 that was stretched over the entire day. The meaning of my 14,000 meters was that I was able to have the mental and physical ability to handle doing this many meters by myself.

iswim41
June 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM
All I can say is "well done!"

aquageek
June 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by thinkersw
I should also say that I have not been training like I usually do, so this was a lot of swimming.

Holy smokes! I pale in comparison to you. I'd hate to think what you could do if you were training like you normally do.

Kevin in MD
June 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
15 miles in a 25 yard pool. 6 hours and 45 minutes.

Consisted of all sorts of sets of different distances and smatterings of different strokes but mostly freestyle.

ande
June 28th, 2005, 02:36 PM
When your body fails in a long hard work out,
it's called bonking.
you bonked.

When I was in high school training for paul bergen, there were many days where we trained over 15,000.
I don't know if I ever went over 20,000 so probably my max is between 15 and 20.
Some Saturdays we used to first run 10 miles then go do a work out.

how far in 24 hours
Mathmatically there's 86,400 seconds in a day
24 x 60 x 60 = 86,400

Many people can easily swim 200 yards in 3:00
3:00 = 180 seconds

so if a person continually swam 200's on 3:00 intervals for 24 hours non stop they could swim 48,000 yards in a 24 hours

86,400 / 180 = 480

480 x 100 = 48,000

54,000 yards on 2:40 pace

I read about Erik Vendt doing
30 x 1000 on 10:30 or 11:00

Now I sometimes go over 5,000

Ande

I am moving somewhere where I won't be able to swim much for two years. Anyway, I made it my goal to swim 15,000 meters straight in four hours. I was only able to swim 14,000 meters, but it was a great experience. I actually had time to finish another thousand, but my body died on me. I should also say that I have not been training like I usually do, so this was a lot of swimming. It was a great accomplishment and I can now go without swimming for awhile. My question is, what is the most you have ever done in a workout or in a day and what has it meant to you?

In my case, this was the most I had ever done in a workout. Most in a day was 25,000 that was stretched over the entire day. The meaning of my 14,000 meters was that I was able to have the mental and physical ability to handle doing this many meters by myself.

Rob Copeland
June 28th, 2005, 02:38 PM
50,000 yards

thinkersw
June 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should also say that I have not been training like I usually do, so this was a lot of swimming.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy smokes! I pale in comparison to you. I'd hate to think what you could do if you were training like you normally do.

If I had been training to swim this much, I would have completed 15,000 and I would have completed it in less time. Since I have not been training as much as I should, I had to do intervals and take some rest. For the first two hours I was able to maintain a 1:30 pace for 100 meter freestyle. The last two hours was just hanging on and finishing. (I also swam an hour of Masters practice where most people could not understand why I was swimming so much slower than I ususally do).

Leonard Jansen
June 28th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Maybe just as interesting is "What do the lifeguards at the pool say to you/ about you when you do that kind of yardage?"

-LBJ

tjburk
June 28th, 2005, 03:48 PM
WOW!!!!

And I was happy to get back up into the 7000-8000m range:(

Back to the drawing board:D

Jeff Commings
June 28th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I got into Masters to get away from doing 15,000 meters per day.

Now I do about 3,000 meters (3,500 yards) a day, and I LOVE IT!

If I need to do more to stay in shape, then maybe I'll bump it up to 3,700 yards. ;)

SwiminONandON
June 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Jeff, I have to say I really enjoy your posts and insights. Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Commings
June 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Anytime.

gull
June 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Commings
I got into Masters to get away from doing 15,000 meters per day.

Now I do about 3,000 meters (3,500 yards) a day, and I LOVE IT!

If I need to do more to stay in shape, then maybe I'll bump it up to 3,700 yards. ;)

I'm beginning to think that 3000/day is enough to maintain your level of conditioning, but more is required to actually improve your times. Those of us in the older age groups are swimming against a "current" -- the aging process. My daughter's theory (she's 14) is that I've actually improved if my times remain the same from one year to the next (I'm 47). I can live with that.

thinkersw
June 28th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I usually do about 3,000-4,000 a day. I did this much as a one time thing because I am not going to have the opportunity to swim for the next two years and I wanted to do something memorable. I also wanted to test my mental strength in setting a goal and achieving it.

alexknibbs
June 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM
In response to the 'how much could be swum in 24 hours' .. go check out the Guinness Book of Records. Last time I looked was several years ago but the record in a 25 m pool is ~60 miles, held by a Swedish swimmer.

At the time (1990s) a colleague of mine had attempted to break this record but had failed :-(. It's a phenomenal pace to keep up.

I ended up contacting the record holder .. and to cut a long story short I got a letter back from him where he said that "even today, he was not sure it was worth it". I gather he suffered from side effects afterwards.

In answer to the initial thread, the furthest I've swum in one go is only 10km in a 25m pool, although I was pleased to complete it in ~2h 15m. This was 3 years ago, when aged 43.

Tom Ellison
June 28th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I swam in two 10K off shore races....and one was NOT fun in warm water....

In the event my body does not give out before I get it back together....I always wanted to swim the 24 mile Tampa Bay Swim....I know that IF I had tried to swim this in San Francisco Bay swim shape...I would have had a DARN good chance of making it....Now, that I am fighting my way back into shape....I am not sure the envelope will come together at the right place regarding getting in shape and the bottom end falling out....But, swimming the Tampa Bay 24 mile swim....is a many year old goal....9 to 12 hours in the water is purest swimming at the finest....! Swimming the English Channel is hero swimming in my book! And, what is off the chart wild....SOME have swam it over and back....and a few have swam it over and back and over....all in the same swim.....THAT IS....... well.....words cannot begin to write how off the chart that is......I am humbled deeply by those who have swam Tampa Bay...and seriously HUMBLED by those that swam the English Channel....and the few that swam it over and back...and over....In TEN life times I could not carry those swimmers goggles......

Peter Cruise
June 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Tom, what they do is impressive...what you have done and persevered through has been heroic- don't sell yourself short!

Tom Ellison
June 28th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Peter.....from you...of all swimmers.....what a heart warming thing to write and for me to read....Thank you!

Rob Copeland
June 28th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
Tom, what they do is impressive...what you have done and persevered through has been heroic- don't sell yourself short!
Amen , to that!

As someone who has done both the channel and Tampa Bay, I am "seriously humbled" by Tom and others in Masters Swimming who have fought through tremendous adversity and made their life and the lives of those of us touched by your stories much richer. Thank you!

newmastersswimmer
June 28th, 2005, 10:37 PM
In answer to the initial thread, the furthest I've swum in one go is only 10km in a 25m pool, although I was pleased to complete it in ~2h 15m. This was 3 years ago, when aged 43.
originally posted by alexknibbs

Dear alexknibbs,

I am very impressed by your time in the 10 K at age 43!!....I am 40 (almost 41) and just getting into open water swimming.....I want to "eventually" be able to do 10 K's, 20 K's, and 25 K's (these seem like 3 of the most popular long distances for open water events as far as I can tell??)....Anyway, 2 hrs and 15 minutes for a 10 K comes to exactly 1:21 per 100 meters pace........Only you have to string 100 of them in a row at that pace to equal that time!!....Wow!!....I am hoping to average somewhere between 1:15 and 1:20 per 100 meters in my next open water swim....only it's a 2 mile race (i.e. a 3.2 K race).....1:15 per 100 meter pace equates to exactly 40 minutes for 2 miles ...So the 40 minute barrier for 2 miles seems like a good goal to try and break (and a very fast goal!!).....1:20 per 100 meter pace equates to 42:40 for 2 miles.....So if I break 43:00 I will be happy (if I break 40:00 I will be VERY VERY happy!!).....To hear that you could hold a 1:21 per 100 meter pace for 12.4 miles at age 43 just blows my mind!!

Tom.....Were you also this fast in the 10 K once?....when you were over 40??....If so, then I have a new found respect for the Moose Man!!

Newmastersswimmer

tjburk
June 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Tom, I must echo what Rob C has to say. The bits and pieces I have heard of your story, make me humble. I thank God everyday for the good things in my life! And I am happy to say, that you are one of those GOOD things!!!

alexknibbs
June 29th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Jim,

Thanks for your kind words .. but inevitably you don't have to look far to find awe-inspiring swims from others. In our club we have a 29 year old (he competed at the Sydney Olympics btw!) who went 220 lengths of a 25 yard pool in the Hour swim which I thought was excellent. [I only managed 210 :-(]

A few weeks later I then discovered a 49 year old Californian has also managed 220 lengths!!!!!
How do you do a really big sulky face??

- similarly, swimming things like a 25 km open water seems pretty awesome stuff to me. Small tip - be 'careful' with the times your aiming for in open water - it's not as easy for them to get the distances 'spot on' and distances could be a a little under or over what they say it is. In addition, in a pool you tend to swim a fairly straight course. In open water .. well, you can see where I'm heading, yes?

Tom,

I haven't been on this board for a while. I must backtrack to find your details - I expect I too will be humbled when I read about your background.

Tom Ellison
June 29th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Alex...thx for the kind word...

Where do you swim over there on the other side of the pond?
Did I read your post right...a 25 yard pool in a meter country.

Do you swim on the left side of the lanes....

;)

alexknibbs
June 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hi Tom,

Perhaps I should clarify. I train in a 50mtr pool at Burlingame (south of San Francisco) but across the width it's 25 yds. We alternate between them but it's mainly LC at present.

Yes, don't start me up with swimming on the left ... actually coached a session here a while back and got them all doing it 'UK' style for a change, alternating clockwise and counter-clockwise in adjacent lanes. Beats me why they had so many problems. As a seasoned traveller I've never had any problem switching to suit the location. Perhaps it's got something to do with old dogs and new tricks ;-)

Of course, in the UK and Europe it's done this way as much for safety reasons. Hitting someone doing 'fly in the next lane isn't HALF as painful if you're both heading in roughly the same direction!

alexknibbs
June 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Tom,

Additional clarification after reading your email again - although I'm currently based in California on a work Visa, my 'home/legal residence' is in England.

There are a number of 25 yd pools still left in England, though they tend to be the older 'Victorian' pools. We have all sorts of pool lengths in the UK; 25 yds, 25 mtr, 33.33 yd, 33.33 mtr, 36.66 yds, 50 mtr. A real hotch potch.

aquageek
June 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by alexknibbs
Additional clarification after reading your email again - although I'm currently based in California on a work Visa, my 'home/legal residence' is in England.

Oh, no, you might be soon accused of stealing US swimming scholarships.

Blue Horn
June 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM
If I calculated his time correctly, he swam a pace of approximately 1 min and 22 seconds for 24 hours straight. Ouch, I can only imagine what the effects of swimming for 24 hours straight would be, but to do it at a pace of 1:20 per 100 yards. 1:20 doesn't sound that fast, but after just 4 or 5 hours of continuous swimming I can't imagine my arms still working much less swimming a 1:20 pace.

Hook'em
Blue

waves101
June 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Back as an age grouper we did 20,000 on hell day of hell week (100,000). Morning workout was 24x400 followed by Afternoon workout 26x400. I don't remember the interval but do remember the coach put underwater speakers in (with music pumping) to keep us going.

Jeff Commings
June 29th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I had to think long and hard about this, but I vaguely remember doing a five-hour swim about 10 years ago with about 10 other people of varying backgrounds and abilities.

I think I managed about 26,000 yards, give or take a few hundred, with a few breaks to scarf down a Powerbar, take a little rest and drink fluids. I don't think anyone did it nonstop, but there were some who held 1:05 pace for an hour.

And my fiance once swam the Channel, so I know well what the work is required to do that. The thought of doing 220 lengths in an hour is astounding.

knelson
June 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Commings
The thought of doing 220 lengths in an hour is astounding.

How about 244? That's what Dan Veatch did in 1994. 6115 yards total for a pace of :58.5 per 100. :eek:

alexknibbs
June 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Geek,

I wish! ;-)

Blue Horn,

Remember that doesn't take into account short breaks too .. and of course the clock doesn't stop .. so the pace was even quicker than that.

Frank Thompson
July 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Tom:

I agree with Peter Cruise, Rob Copeland, and Tracy Burkholder that you do provide an inspiration to all of us. By the way you are not a troll that preaches the tooting of a mediorce horn with missing swimming knowledge and uncouthness. And you don't misinform posters with words like Gosh, Amen, God, Mr Moose, Ralph, and VO2 Max Shampoo. You have a great humor and you provide rational thinking regardless if you get 1 star out of 10 over at USA.

I commend you for you stances and not getting sucked in to all of the phases of sick Crocker and healthy Hall. That stuff reminds me of the Matthew Bond material that appeared here 2 years ago. Just just remember on here you don't bluff, preach, and troll but provide interesting discussion and we don't have to worry about any threads getting locked out.

Tom Ellison
July 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Thank you Skip:
I just couldn't sit on the side lines while he bashed Coach Reese and then the entire USMS Forum.....esp with the data he yanks out of who knows where.
I admit to having a somewhat off the wall sense of humor and for the most part I try to use it....
Again, thank you.....

Peter Cruise
July 3rd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Holy smoke- reading Frank's comments and Tom's reply caused me to revisit a certain closed thread which I had dropped after 5 pages...Oh Tom! Way to wield the lumber! Most of my hot tea ended up dripping from the computer screen...we all are very fond of your usual humour & conciliatory posts, but it was good to see that you have wicked left hook as well...

Tom Ellison
July 3rd, 2005, 04:11 PM
Peter....thank you very much for your post....I LOL to the max! On the floor LOL....

Under most circumtances, I do not like to fight, or toss my demented, bent, sick, deluded sense of humor into the trash, but every now an again, when stuck in a corner, or when someone slams people I highly respect, I can take the gloves off. After reading the first post over there....the gloves came off.

All kidding aside, and being serious here.....I believe in greatness! And when I see greatness in people like Eddie Reese....who is an Icon in our sport being slammed, maligned and dealt with in such a blatant, disrespectful manner by someone who has no clue what it takes to make decisions on that level in swimming, well, I have trouble keeping my mouth shut or the gloves on. Eddie Reese does not know me from Adam. But, I met him twice while in Texas, and both times I found him to be a class act. I know two very good swimmers that know the man well, and both say he is decent and as bright as they get. I'll stand up for that any day even if I take a few shots from the tin horn.

battle
July 6th, 2005, 11:13 PM
The side effect is that he may still look like a prune to this day. As a master swimmer I swam 11K one day. Not sure I will ever do that again. Took a couple days to recover and not sure of much benefit.