PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Olympic Trials go to..

SwiminONandON
June 28th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Omaha, Nebraska! Not my first choice, but oh well ... alright, who's going? (kidding)

justforfun
June 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Horn
June 29th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Shouldn't this be on the USA Swimming BB? This is for masters swimming info and should not contain info about those young whipper snappers. :D

Hook'em
Blue

shoalsswimmer
June 29th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Yeah, Heather.

"You people aren't worth the time or bother."

Remember? It's all about MASTERS swimming here!

Please read into my facetiousness. I love me some Olympics!

In 2004, I recorded the NCAA championships, Olympic trials, and Olympics. I also have the 2005 NCAAs recorded - all swimming of course. I watch some of them from time to time and have actually picked up a few things. Can't quite make it work for me the same way, but it has helped.

You know, in 2008, many of the same swimmers we saw in 2004 will be Master swimmers and coaches.

sibleyclan
June 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Besides, some of us have young whipper snappers of our own to keep informed of these things. :D

Tom Ellison
June 29th, 2005, 11:50 AM
"You people aren't worth the time or bother."

Gosh, when I first read this when it was first posted....
I thought.....gee, I hope this does not include Mooses.......:D

shoalsswimmer
June 29th, 2005, 12:12 PM
It all depends on whether or not Mr Moose is considered as a "people."

Tom Ellison
June 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM
When orig. posted a few days ago the wording "people" had Mr. Moose concerned....He thinks he is a people....but then again, so does Ralph....

shoalsswimmer
June 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I wish I had friends with me when I was alone, all by myself. Must be comforting.

Does anyone know of any new up and comers that could be in the 2008 trials and making the team? Are we just too far out to even guess?

Tom Ellison
June 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
"Must be comforting."

Ah, actually it’s kind of confusing....
Is not, is too, not, too…..
Never mind…

Blue Horn
June 29th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Swimonandon,

After reading your post, that Omah Nebraska song they played during the College World Series is stuck in my head. Good thing we won it this year.

Hook'em
Blue

Bob McAdams
June 30th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Blue Horn
Shouldn't this be on the USA Swimming BB? This is for masters swimming info and should not contain info about those young whipper snappers. :D

Hook'em
Blue

I wasn't aware that there were age limits for going to Olympic trials. :mad:

Bob

justforfun
June 30th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Check out http://www.omahasports.org/

This is the Omaha Sports Commission's website. These are the folks who put together the bid for Trials. They have a cool photo/graphic rendering of how the Quest Center will look with a 50m pool inside.

Seagurl51
June 30th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by justforfun
Check out http://www.omahasports.org/

This is the Omaha Sports Commission's website. These are the folks who put together the bid for Trials. They have a cool photo/graphic rendering of how the Quest Center will look with a 50m pool inside.

Those pics are great! That would be really cool if they can pull that off.

justforfun
June 30th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I heard today from our Masters coach that they are planning to put the pools in sometime in May and hold a Grand Prix/trial run event 3-4 weeks before Olympic Trials. This means there will be no other concerts, sporting events, conventions, etc. in that facility for a significant length of time. I orginally assumed that they would put the pools in a few days ahead of time and tear them down right after, just as Indy did at Conseco fieldhouse. It's hard to believe they've committed this much Quest Center time to Trials, but I hope it's true! The Omaha Sports Commission has been saying it's committed to getting high-profile events. I'm starting to believe...

SwiminONandON
June 30th, 2005, 10:11 AM
I'm a dork ... those pictures seriously brought tears to my eyes ... how amazing ... I love the Olympics ... Only three years!

Howard
June 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
Those pics are great! That would be really cool if they can pull that off.

Hope it isn't "if they can pull that off".

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 30th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Maybe we are seeing a resurgence of swimming in the Midwest. It seems that colleges & universities in the midwest are once again producing some pretty good swimmers.

SwiminONandON
June 30th, 2005, 11:39 AM
With Bowman's dream of Michigan becoming the swimming Mecca ... he's off to a good start anyway ...

Tom Ellison
June 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Quote Heather: "I'm a dork ... "

Mr. Moose seconds that motion.....:p

knelson
June 30th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Maybe we are seeing a resurgence of swimming in the Midwest. It seems that colleges & universities in the midwest are once again producing some pretty good swimmers.

Was there a time when they weren't? I'd say the Big Ten has remained pretty strong throughout the years. Maybe not the dominant conference, but always pretty darn tough. The Big 12, on the other hand, with only six teams competing on the women's side and three on the men's is looking pretty shabby. Not saying there aren't good swimmers there, but just a shocking lack of school offering swim teams.

Seagurl51
June 30th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Howard
Hope it isn't "if they can pull that off".

Agreed. That seems like a lot of work, but if they are gonna do what justforfun says their going to do, they can definately pull it out. They obviously have a passion for making this a hugely sucessful event.

I also agree with Heather. When I saw those pics, I looked at them and thought how cool it would be to have a permanent pool in a venue like that. Inside a huge stadium with the capacity to hold all those people. Wouldn't it be great if we could see our sport elevated to that level? Wow!

justforfun
June 30th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I'm hoping, as are other "swimming people" in Omaha, that having the Trials here will be a huge boost to swimming participation in our state. We took a big hit, especially among the boys, when the University in Lincoln dropped men's swimming. It's helped that we had our first U.S. swimming Olympian, Scott Usher, in 2004--he's been a nice role model.

Some of us have discussed our pie-in-the-sky vision of using one of the temporary pools for a nice permanent indoor facility. Maybe Mutual of Omaha, a big USA Swimming sponsor, will help make it happen.

newmastersswimmer
June 30th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Yaeh the picture of what the swimming facility will look like in 2008 looks pretty awesome....but am I the only one that had a vision of that giant 6 screen television above the pool crashing down on top of some swimmers during the meet?.....I know that is "very" unlikely to happen (and maybe there are similar set ups at other large swimming facilities?)...but I couldn't help thinking of that anyway when I saw the picture.

Newmastersswimmer

justforfun
June 30th, 2005, 05:38 PM
yes...that would be bad. That scoreboard is there in the arena permanently for basketball and ice hockey. It hasn't fallen yet, but we'll keep our fingers crossed anyway. I bet it will be strange for the competitors (especially backstrokers) to swim underneath it.

Jeff Commings
June 30th, 2005, 08:04 PM
When I saw the scoreboard, I thought how awesome it would be to swim a a backstroke race or the back leg of the IM. You'd see your split, you'd see the running clock. You'd know what pace you're on.

Of course, the Trials is more about place than time, so I doubt people are actively going for world records.

I also thought that some of the screens might show live feeds of the swimmers in action. Imagine Piersol seeing himself on screen in the last 50 of his 200 back: "Wow! I look GOOD!" He'd slow down to admire himself, and Ryan Lochte or someone else will slip right by him in the stretch.

Of course, I'd do the same thing.

laineybug
June 30th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Do you think they might turn off the scoreboard and video stream during backstroke?

Seagurl51
July 1st, 2005, 09:03 AM
I wonder if you'd even be able to focus on an image? I mean you're going to be focusing on your form, your race, your going to be moving at a pretty decent pace, and that thing is pretty far up there. I would think it'd be more a distraction in the sense that you're only going to see smudges of color moving around quickly. It could be that they are to busy following the rafters to stay straight, that they don't even notice the board there. ;)

aquageek
July 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM
They have jumbo trons at every major sporting event now. I doubt any athlete is distracted by them anymore. I think they had them at both trials and the Olympics last year.

SwiminONandON
July 1st, 2005, 10:10 AM
I'm doubting any of the elite backstrokers are going to go wow I look good and admire themselves ... that would be hysterical though ... most backstrokers and IMmers do glance at the jumbo trons to see their pace ... I know Peirsol, Phelps, and Coughlin have all said that coming out of that turn they could see they were on such and such a pace ...

Tom Ellison
July 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM
One thing for sure when it come to Peirsol swimming in a pool Heather is in attendance.....she will undoubtedly be looking at the jumbo tron to see his hair and Abs in huge living color up on the screan….Can anyone say, "sore neck?" ;)

SwiminONandON
July 1st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Duh by the 08 trials we'll be dating ... geez ;)

Tom Ellison
July 1st, 2005, 11:41 AM
"Duh by the 08 trials we'll be dating ... geez "

Mr. Moose, Ralph and I are lost, did you you mean Peirsol or us?
;)

Jeff Commings
July 1st, 2005, 01:08 PM
I remember when I was swimming the 100 back at a meet in Sydney and I pushed off the wall and saw my split. I instantly freaked out when I found out that I would be on pace to break a minute.

Taking a quick glance at the clock if it's in your view doesn't slow you down immensely, if at all. But with the monitor being in the middle of the pool I wonder if they'll know what their pace should be at the halfway mark.