PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Soreness

scyfreestyler
July 7th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I am having some soreness in the area behind my shoulder, fortunately not the same shoulder that was injured. Basically right behind my armpit and slightly below it is a bit sore. What muscle is this? I have been increasing my workout intensity a bit recently so that may be partially to blame but I have also slacked off on my cuff exercises as well. Any ideas?

LindsayNB
July 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I find www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html useful for muscle info.

Some candidate muscles:
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/LatissimusDorsi.html
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/TeresMajor.html
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/TeresMinor.html

scyfreestyler
July 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks Lindsay. I am pretty sure that it's the lat muscle. Last night I noticed some discomfort from that area particularly when taking breaths. Seems a bit odd but I suspect there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for it somewhere.

Donna
July 7th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I deal with alot of muscle soreness and lower back problems myself and would like to recommend trigger point therapy (a type of massage). There is a book called The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook that has been very helpful for me.

Last year at this time I could barely walk. Now I can swim all strokes and be relatively competitive. Two weeks ago I started back to light weightlifting and alittle bit of running (5 minutes today). Once I am completely pain free watch out.

A tennis ball pressed between the muscle you are having problems with and the wall or floor will help the release the trigger points you might have in your muscles. As I have found sometimes where the pain is is not where the trigger point causing the problem is. For me the scalenes in my right side of my neck can cause refered pain in my right shoulder and bicep yet the shoulder area and bicep are not painful to the touch.

Good luck with your muscle soreness.

Jeff Commings
July 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Donna, I really like the tennis ball idea. Currently I just use an electric massager and just rest it on my back muscles. It does the trick. But I'll see if the tennis ball method provides better results. So I'll have to go buy a tennis ball ....

Anyway, I wanted to let the 330man know that the lats are probably the most used muscle in swimming. Make sure you stretch it during and after workout. Wait about 10 minutes after you've warmed up to get blood flowing to those muscles. I think doing it before makes it worse.

Guvnah
July 8th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 330man
I am having some soreness in the area behind my shoulder, fortunately not the same shoulder that was injured. Basically right behind my armpit and slightly below it is a bit sore. What muscle is this? I have been increasing my workout intensity a bit recently so that may be partially to blame but I have also slacked off on my cuff exercises as well. Any ideas?

Sounds like your lats to me.

And your lats are an integral muscle for good freestyle, so soreness in the lats indicate that you're using them. Working through this probaby means that you're improving your strength in your lats. Just listen to your body. If you start getting excessive pain, back off a little until the capacity of your lats catches up to the level of workout you are doing.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I hada moderately strained neck muscle. I bought a new bed. Now everythiing is great!