PDA

View Full Version : training- quality vs quantity

phm41
July 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I would like the advice of some of you who have been at this a long time. What is the best yardage per day for a 50 year old quasi-sprinter who does no more than a 200 at a meet? Is it better to do 4 days at 3000 per day or make it 5 days at less yardage?Or even 4 days at less yardage? I am swimming 5 days a week and logging between 14000 and 16000 meters per week. I lift weights 3 times per week. I am getting ready for LC nationals and don't want to be so worn out for the meet. The temperature in the pool doesn't help either, but I can't fix that- it's an outdoor pool in south Florida. ( I swim early in the morning and drink a lot of water during workout to try to counteract the heat).

waves101
July 8th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Sounds like your training is fine. 4 or 5 days per week with those yardages should be good prep for LC Nats. A week or two before the meet start your taper (decreased yardage - increased intervals). It will supply the needed boost to perform. Good Luck!

scyfreestyler
July 8th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I just heard on Dr. Dean Edell yesterday that some research has shown that a few short bursts of maximum effort exercise has the same effect on endurance as long drawn out workouts. I think the short workout were less than a few minutes long and after a few weeks they had the cumulative effect of weeks of typical hour long workouts. Food for thought.

LindsayNB
July 8th, 2005, 03:13 PM
It could be different research but I recently heard about similar findings but the study actually dealt with not very fit subjects rather than athletes. I can't quickly find a reference though.

jpjackson76
July 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I believe the study is probably accurate, but I still believe a swimmer, runner, or cyclist still needs the big base of endurance miles/yards to make it thru the season without getting injured. Just my opinion. Everybody has one.