PDA

View Full Version : Aquathlon, anyone?

kernow
July 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Just having come from the anti-tri thread, I now have a question: Has anyone here done an Aquathlon? In a moment of caffeine induced enthusiasm, I just registered for the last two of the season in my state. *sigh*

Any experiences, thoughts?

peace...

Donna
July 9th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Forgive my ignorance but what is an Aquathlon?

kernow
July 10th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Aquathlon is a multi-sport race, that consists of a swim (usually around 1000m) and a run (like 5K).

It's only been around like a couple of years or so... I was just wondering if anyone had done one and what their training strategies were...

peace...

newmastersswimmer
July 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Sounds pretty cool except there is only one small problem for me......The running part.......other than that, I'm down!

Newmastersswimmer

Matt S
July 10th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Please do add more detail. What other events are we talking about? A 50m lifeguard's tow with a dummy? A kayaking race?

I have a hard time seeing how a 5K run could be associated with anything calling itself "aqua_____." Moreover, I find the relative distances of the swimming and running events (100m vs. 5K) to be illustrative of who is really in charge of the event. (And, who is hijacking the term "aqua" so that they can set up a race that purports to show that runners are better overall athletes, but, I seem to have become confused about which discussion thread this is...)

Matt

kernow
July 11th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the constructive advice.

It's a 1000m open water swim, followed by a 5K run. I guess they call it, 'aquathlon,' because the terms 'duathlon' and 'biathlon' were taken. :)

You do raise an interesting point, however. When I contacted the event organiser, to ask about the races, I told him that I was coming from a USMS background. He replied that he was glad that the event was finally attracting 'some good swimmers,' and that the wished more would sign up.

mbmg3282
July 11th, 2005, 10:08 AM
If you are looking for more races, there are a Spring and Fall Aquathlon series being run in Tempe, Arizona. For event information and results go to http://www.redrockco.com/

These races have been popular with both triathletes and swimmers. The events I went to had around 200 athletes. Each race was different with some favoring the runners more and others favoring the swimmers more. Some races were swim/run. Others were run/swim/run.

Kevin in MD
July 11th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Did one last year that was 2 mile swim 10k run and another that was 1/2 mile swim and 5k run.

I enjoyed them both, easier to get into that triathlon.

There are a couple of series around. The miami areas has one, the Boulder Co swim and strides and previously mentioned Tempe series.

For multisport events, go to www.trifind.com and look under your state to see if there is an aquathlon nearby.

tuck
July 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I'm looking at doing one, a 2.4 mile run, 1 mile swim , 2.4mile run. It would be my first so we'll see. My ten year old may be doing a 1/2 mile time trial (this is all open water by the way) at the same venue,so I thought we could do an event togather. They have an Aquabike here later in the summer, which was really hard to picture. It's a 1.2 mile swim with a 56 mile bike, a take off on the 1/2 IM triathlon, (or just do the OW swim and ride your bike home.)

Anthony Thompson
July 11th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Do they ever have a multi-sport event without RUNNING ? I keep looking for an "aquathon" or "duathlon" that is swimming and biking without the running. Do they have an name for a 2-stage swim-bike event, other than "I did not complete my trialthon".

kernow
July 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I know... I only started running as a form of dryland training. Tris don't interest me (although I have one coming up), as the bike is just too much to schlep around...

If you REALLY wanted to, you COULD register for a tri and just get your times for the cycle and the swim... Some races do allow that, I hear...

Francesco
July 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM
There are now aquabike events (swim-bike) which are run at the same time as some tri's. google" aquabike" for more info.

Edward The Head
July 11th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Last year I was a member of the US Tri and in the mag they sent out they were talking about letting people just do the swim and bike. I think they said the reason was for runners who had gotten hurt more then the people who don't like running.

I for one would like to try to do something like an Ironman distance swim/bike, but have no interest in running. Then again I'd like to do anything with a nice distance swim instead of 15 minutes in the water and the next hour or two out of it.

Guvnah
July 11th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I think it's a bad name -- Aquathlon. This is the first I've seen it. It implied to me that there would be several events all in the water.

But now that I see the definition from the thread, I can see that it fills a niche, so what's in a name?

FindingMyInnerFish
July 12th, 2005, 11:16 AM
I'm doing one tomorrow involving a 1/4 mile swim/5k run. First "multi-sport" event that I've tried. Have done lots of running events by themselves, just recently started masters' swimming and have done a few swim events--haven't put it together yet, so this will be interesting...a low-key but fun challenge.

I doubt I'd get into the bike part...lots of $$ and I get road rash from bikes.... ;)

But does my interest in swimming and running make me an "aquathlete"? ;)

hammerheadcm
July 12th, 2005, 05:40 PM
My husband and I did an Aquathlon on Sunday. It was a 2 mile run, 1000 meter swim, 2 mile run. It was fun. A tropical storm had just passed so we had a nice chop in the bay, more challenging than the usual flat water. The race organizers did a nice job of securing sponsors, the first 3 finishers in each age group, besides the medal, received a six pack of Glaceau Smart water. Bottled water is a good thing to have in hurricane country. A few things to consider before the race. Wear a belt with your race number or pin it to your bathing suit and tuck it into your suit for the swim, one less worry in the transition. Forget about socks, have a small towel availabe to clean the sand from your feet before the run. Put some elastic laces, like bungees, in your running shoes, all these extra seconds that you save will add up. Scope out the swim course and note where the buoys are. It you run first there will be runners in the water ahead of you - don't depend on them for navigation. We had about 50 yards of shallows before we could swim, while running out I put on my cap and goggles. If you like the event the ITU is having a World Championship in Hawaii in October-5K run 1500 meter swim-5Krun.

scwids
September 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Hi All-
Am contemplating training for a swim-run aquathlon - have always LOATHED running but somehow recently have gotten into it (which I attribute to my much-improved cardiovascular fitness from all the swimming!!!) :)

Anyone have any tips for the transition, especially related to clothing? I'm assuming plenty of people run in just their suits - I'm shuddering thinking about chafing from throwing shorts over a wet suit.

Thanks!

beireland
September 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
They are actually great workout events for both open water swimmers and for tri-folk. For swimmers, the events are usually mid-week in the evening so you can do just the swim and get a mid-week short race under your belt. Its a nice double to a pool morning workout. I hate to run so usually don't do it, but if I was a better person, I would do it because its certainly not going to hurt my swimming to do a little running. For tri-folk, its a double sport workout that gives you a combination workout and a chance to work on transitioning.

There are series in San Diego, Playa del Rey(in Los Angeles) and Nite Moves in Santa Barbara, which may be the first series although I'm not sure. I've done those, and the ones in Boulder and South Denver on trips. Usually a fun, social event.

Regarding the transition, most people run in their swim suit and have a multi-sport suit for that purpose and throw a shirt over it. Most tri-folk are wearing wet suits so thats a complication too, of course.

Good luck

KaizenSwimmer
September 19th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I'd love to do a swim-bike event if someone sponsored one. Running doesn't seem to agree with me, but I love cycling, recreationally at least.
An off-road and OW event would be a particular gas.

scwids
September 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the help, Bill! I'm eyeing the Rehoboth Main Street Aquathlon for next summer - it's a 1/2 mile ocean swim and a 3 mile run on the Boardwalk (nice and flat!!!) There's also the Stars and Stripes Aquathlon in NY, which is a longer ocean swim (a mile I think) and a 5K flat run through the park.

Honestly, I'll probably need the year for the running training - it is totally alien to me at this point, although pretty fun so far!

sharkbait
September 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I'm looking at doing the Run Swim Run at Virginia Beach next season. It's a 1K beach run, 1K ocean swim, and 5K run. Didn't do it this year because I'm new to running and could barely make it through a 5K, but I'm building up the running distance (I can do five miles, albeit verrry sloowly), so if I stay in shape over the off season, it should be doable. Of course, the goal will be to finish, not to place in my age group!

I think that running has helped with my swimming, and vice versa. They seem to work well for cross-training; when my shoulder hurts, running builds up more endurance. I wouldn't attempt a triathlon because I haven't been on a bike since I was about ten years old and would probably fall right off it...

art_z
September 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I'd like to do one where its a 5k swim and 1k run ...

Edward The Head
September 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by art_z
I'd like to do one where its a 5k swim and 1k run ...

You and me both.

The Fortress
October 13th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Rachel:

My son and I sometimes do aquathons. I think there is a new fastskin unitard that is used for the the swim and run that dries off quickly. I usully see aquathons in the run-swim-run format. There's a beautiful one on Virginia beach that's quite fun. I had a friend that did the Worlds last year. I think the event was held at the same time as the World Sprint Triathlon and the World Ironman. Swimming is his strength, and he got his butt kicked in the second run segment. But he did rock the swim. I think right now aquathons are still dominated by runners. But if more swimmers got interested as they cross train with running, it would be much more fun.

Leslie

scwids
October 17th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Rachel:

My son and I sometimes do aquathons. I think there is a new fastskin unitard that is used for the the swim and run that dries off quickly... if more swimmers got interested as they cross train with running, it would be much more fun.

Leslie

Thanks Leslie! :D I have definitely been eyeing some of the quick-dry transition 2 piece sets: what a great excuse to buy new gear next season! I agree about the runner domination - I suspect I am going to get absolutely demolished in the run after my water exit, seeing as how it has been an earth-shattering acheivement to have finally built up to a 10 min/mile pace! It should be a lot of fun. I really like the cross-training for overall shape and cardio fitness - it definitely makes a difference.

born2fly
October 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Here in Ohio we call the aquathlon a splash and dash. Ones around me are mile swim and 5 mile run. Not being a runner I do not know if I could call a five mile run a dash though. However, for the natural runner I am sure it is.

The Fortress
October 17th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I've heard of splash dashes. They have one in New York every year like you describe -- the Stars & Stripe swim/run. I get killed in the run too even though I really like to run for cross training. But 5 miles is a definitely a sprint for any reasonably seasoned road racer type. They get out of the water and they're not winded and then they just take off while you start the warm up trot.

Born2fly: Could you tell the difference between the evil and good smith when you visited?

born2fly
October 18th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Leslie- I only had the chance to meet the Good Smith. The Evil one, who invited me to work out at Denver Univ, did not show up. What's up with that, must be why he is evil, but at least there was a practice at Denver Univ.

I have actually met both the Smith's in passing at some past Nationals although they probably do not remember. Both are really nice, regardless of what people post on here lol.