PDA

View Full Version : New Here- some questions

crm1969
July 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Hi all- Really short bio on me:

-Have played semi-pro sport in the past, had my daughter at the age of 30 and basically have not done a thing in the last 3 years (I'm now 36). Decided to join a Master's Club because they swim at the same time my daughter swims (by the way she rocks and is doing her first competition this month!). Ok anyways.

-LOVE our coach we do some interesting drills, feel like in 2 weeks my stroke has improved dramatically. Questions:

1. Is it normal to be so sore all over after these practices? I swam 3x this week and my whole back is sore- thinking that perhaps I'm in worst shape than I thought but will I build tolerance as I did with other sports or does continue to be sore throughout time?

2. Right now I'm swimming with fins and feel as though I'm swimming 'ok'. What to do to get enough strength built up so that I can swim at the same rate/speed without the fins?

3. Although I'm sure I'm burning calories, I have seen NOT a move with my scale. Would ideally love to lose 10 lbs but wondering if this is just not enough for cardio since this is my first shot ever at swimming- sorry for the lame question here- I'm basically really loving it, like the 'therapy' of it, but would also like to benefit from it by losing some weight. My stomach and arms have gotten a workout but will my thighs benefit as well? I mean, I see all these women swimmers with amazing bodies but do I need to swim for 15 years before I see results?

4. Lastly, how long did it take you guys to cut your time (this is my competitive side here)- I'm not fast- 36-40 seconds for a 50 yard swim and was wondering how I can work on improving my output so that my time comes down without letting things go astray (stroke, etc) I still get fatigued pretty quickly and am working up my endurance and frankly I can't wait until I can swim 200 m without stopping for breaks at the 50 or 100 mark

Thanks! :) Look forward to getting to know you all.

:)

Donna
July 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
The first month is the worst as far as sore muscles and lack of endurance, but even after only 4 weeks in the pool I was able to do ok in the 50's. And for me this was rehab for a bad back which I still deal with.

I had been out of the water for 22 years and a back back to boot. I could not bend at the waist to do a flip turn until the end of my third month.

After the 4 month mark I saw significant improvement in my practices and longer distance times. Sprints still stink overall, and I used to be a sprinter. After 10 months have moved over several lanes in practice (now nearing the fast lane). Began with 100's on 2:10, then 2:00, then 1:50, next 1:40 and trying to do 10 on 1:30 but am only up to 5 so far. It just takes time and continued hard work.

If you are setting goals consistantly like going from doing 100's on 2 minutes to 100's on 1:50 your muscles will continue to be challenged and feel sore but you should recover faster each month. But it all depends on how far you push yourself out of your comfort level. Thats when you see the greatest improvement and wieght loss.

Since you are just starting you might want to do a couple of events in a meet to see where you are and then over time you can see how much you have improved. You'll be very surprised.

As for weight loss, you will see much firming up, but the loss should be on the slow side. Also remember muscle weighs more than fat. In 4 months I was able to move down one suit size but not much more since then. Your diet will also need to play a part in any weight loss. As you increase your workload your appetite with increase too.

Good Swimming!:cool:

kernow
July 9th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Welcome!

I'm not a coach but here's my two cents:

You'll build up a tolerence over time, so the stiffness should go away- don't forget to stretch, before and after practice...

Focus on getting your stamina back, then wean yourself off of the fins, otherwise you could injure/strain your shoulder...

RE: Weight- I lost like 30 lbs while swimming 4-5xs/wk, but I had to change my diet. Watch those calories! Swimming will make you REALLY hungry!

Glad to hear that you're enjoying USMS!!

scyfreestyler
July 9th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by crm1969
Hi all- Really short bio on me:

-Have played semi-pro sport in the past, had my daughter at the age of 30 and basically have not done a thing in the last 3 years (I'm now 36). Decided to join a Master's Club because they swim at the same time my daughter swims (by the way she rocks and is doing her first competition this month!). Ok anyways.

-LOVE our coach we do some interesting drills, feel like in 2 weeks my stroke has improved dramatically. Questions:

1. Is it normal to be so sore all over after these practices? I swam 3x this week and my whole back is sore- thinking that perhaps I'm in worst shape than I thought but will I build tolerance as I did with other sports or does continue to be sore throughout time?

2. Right now I'm swimming with fins and feel as though I'm swimming 'ok'. What to do to get enough strength built up so that I can swim at the same rate/speed without the fins?

3. Although I'm sure I'm burning calories, I have seen NOT a move with my scale. Would ideally love to lose 10 lbs but wondering if this is just not enough for cardio since this is my first shot ever at swimming- sorry for the lame question here- I'm basically really loving it, like the 'therapy' of it, but would also like to benefit from it by losing some weight. My stomach and arms have gotten a workout but will my thighs benefit as well? I mean, I see all these women swimmers with amazing bodies but do I need to swim for 15 years before I see results?

4. Lastly, how long did it take you guys to cut your time (this is my competitive side here)- I'm not fast- 36-40 seconds for a 50 yard swim and was wondering how I can work on improving my output so that my time comes down without letting things go astray (stroke, etc) I still get fatigued pretty quickly and am working up my endurance and frankly I can't wait until I can swim 200 m without stopping for breaks at the 50 or 100 mark

Thanks! :) Look forward to getting to know you all.

:) The soreness will go away once your body adjusts to the new level of activity. However, if you keep pushing yourself to go faster and farther there will be a certain amount of pain associated with that as well.

Speed is all about technique. The more fine tuned your stroke becomes the faster you will be with less effort.

Weight loss should come rather quickly. I don't know how many yards you are swimming but if your diet is the same as before you started swimming there is no reason for you to not lose some weight initially. Eventually your body will adjust itself to the new level of exercise and you will level out.

As far as cutting times goes, that is all about technique and endurance. Your 36-40 second time for a 50 is not bad if you are doing it without fins, a regular pushoff, and an open turn. Try ditching the fins before they become too much of a crutch. Things like fins and pull buoys are extremely addictive.

strong440
July 9th, 2005, 05:54 PM
hey crm1969, "Ask your Dr. - er, I mean Coach- about swimming your warm-up, and especially, your warm down with lightly closed fists. This to keep from getting sore muscles, especially shoulders.

geochuck
July 9th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I get sore all over when I use fins, so I don't use fins. You will not lose weight right away, you are using muscles you probably have not used before and while these muscles are developing you could even gain weight for a while. Look at your body and see if the fat is leaving, scales do tell little lies and they do not tell you when you are losing fat.

battle
July 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Make sure you keep having fun so you keep getting back in. I would recommend you continue to focus on technique and let the improvements come when they do. You are lucky - many of us have swum for many years and have no hope of improving on our best times. Good luck

crm1969
July 10th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Really have been very helpful- I look forward to starting my week of swimming tomorrow.

I'm asking tomorrow how long until I get weaned off the fins and just concentrate on my form and basics for the next four weeks.

Thanks! :)

geochuck
July 10th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Best way to wean off the fins is to take them off.

Conniekat8
July 11th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Looks like you've been out of the ohysical activity loop for a while... You'll be getting sore, don't overdo it. It's easy to do when you get enthusiastic.

With swimming, give yourself a lot of time, Swimming has a lot of technique involved, a lot of body-arts to get up to speed, and you may not see results as quickly as in some other sports. That's not because there aren't any, it's just because there's more body parts involved in doing it right.

Sounds like we're the same age. Even though I haven't had a kid, I was away from moadt physical exercise for several years before getting back into exercising and starting swimming.
What I really really noticed that at 35, as compared to 25, you don't get as much result out of pushing it harder - you just uncover little weakneses that like to try and get inflamed...
What does get much more importan is giving your body enough time to rest and repair the little muscle tears.

As much as I hate to admit it, the body just doesn't recover as fast as it used to. I'm still learning it the hard way, and having a tough time shaking off the feeling of being a wimp if I'm so sore and tired that it would be wiser to miss one workout, rather then getting myself so wiped out I get sick and have to miss a whole week.

Jeff Commings
July 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Chuck's right. You're burning fat and gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you're compensating your lost fat for muscle. That's good. Once the fat buring to muscle gain drops off, you just might start seeing some weight loss. I wouldn't worry about the scale, though. I haven't looked at a scale in seven years. All that matters is how you feel in the water and your level of swimming fitness.

Take your time with this. It will happen. I couldn't tell you about the length of time it will take for you to drop times because it varies from person to person. You might get over that hump suddenly, it might be a gradual decrease.

Soreness is a factor of exercise. It will happen if you push your body to go past its normal level of endurance. I've been swimming for 27 years and I still hurt in every workout. The goal is to have an effective warmdown, a good stretch afterwards and a few massage appointments here and there to flush out the bad stuff. Don't do massage a lot or you'll lose the sensation of euphoria (your glands will stop producing the "euphoria gland" during massage).

Gee. I sound like an actual kinesiologist!

geochuck
July 12th, 2005, 02:56 PM
It roughly takes 6 weeks before you can lay on the heavy work.