PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New and looking for some help...

hmlee
July 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Hi there everyone! I stumbled upon this site via google, thought it looked interesting, and perhaps could provide me with some help.

First, I should say a few things about myself. I am not a masters swimmer. (However, I am related to one...my mother was a long time masters swimmer and an eleven time iron man...so that counts, right? :) ) Anyway, I am currently a college student looking to get back into swimming. In my earlier years I was a competitive swimmer (6 years) and have since regained a desire to swim, and I want to join my school's team this comming year (go division 3!).

Which means I need to be ready (or close to it), by september. I've been swimming on my own for the last few months (in addition to weight training and other activities), but without a coach I find my ability to compose workouts for myself limited in the extreme. And unfortunately the majority of college swimming sites (that i've seen) don't really offer any advice at all.

So, I was wondering...can this site help me? I've been poking around, and I saw the workout subforum, but I'm not really sure which place I should be looking in particular. Any suggestions?

Oh, and hello again!

battle
July 11th, 2005, 11:44 PM
The great thing about master swimming is that you can do whatever you want. Have fun and don't put to much pressure on yourself. Go to some meets and swim events you never swam before. Get to know some people at the meets and go work out with their groups. Ask your mom for some of her favorite sets and make up your own. I personally like to work out with others at least once a week but I also like to do my own thing most of the time. I've been swimming masters for about 10 years now and I have seen alot of people that start out fast and hard and burn out. You have a whole lifetime of swimming ahead of you. Have fun with it and you will keep doing it.

Conniekat8
July 12th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I know one of our National Championships works out on her own and uses the workouts posted by Mel Goldstein.
She does a sub-minute 100's, long course meters.

Michael Heather
July 12th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Yes, this site can help you. If you use the posted workouts as a guideline and set a schedule for yourself, you can attain your goals. Keep on with weights, as they will help your strength and endurance, and get private coaching if you can afford it, maybe once a month, to work on technique. If you are willing to do the work, you can achieve your goals. Best of luck, and let us know about your progress.