PDA

View Full Version : Water aerobics classes...

hmlee
July 12th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Are the bane of my existance as a solo swimmer. Granted, the class only meets for 1 day out of the 4 days I swim per week. Granted, during my 3,500-4,000yd workout they're only present for about 2-2,500 of it. BUT STILL I can't stand them! And unfortunately the only time I'm able to swim on that particular day is the time during that class. It's like swimming in lake michigan. Sigh. Is anyone else as frustrated as I am?

fatboy
July 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I usually swim at the same time as the water aerobics classes and I usually don't notice them that much, but last night it was like a wave pool. I don't know if they had more people than usual or if the just started some new routine. I tried to think of it as good for open water training.

Maybe it's an evil plot to drive lap swimmers out of the pool so they can push the water temperature up even higher than the normal 82-84 !

aquageek
July 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM
This topic has been well dissected on this forum. We all agree with you, trust me!

geochuck
July 13th, 2005, 10:29 AM
The music is great especially when it is fast my pace is fast. I don't like it when the music is slow I then swim slow. The only problem they encroach on my lane and my arms get tangled in the lane ropes.

FindingMyInnerFish
July 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM
At my pool, the water aerobics classes are at separate times fr/ the lap swimming period. But I STAY AWAY from the pool during the noon swim hours, b/c that's when the pool is divided between lap lanes and kids' camp. Talk about wave pools! That and the pool toys floating into lap lanes. One of them, thrown around by some kids, landed on a swimmer, who had more inner calm than I would have. She was doing a set, and simply flicked the thing back into the kids' section. Maybe she had a lot of open water practice.... After that one day, I vowed to stick to the early morning lap swim, when all the lanes are for lap swimmers. Granted, there are the folks who do odd little paddling/splashing concoctions in the more workout oriented lanes and such, but at least the chances of being hit by an errant pool toy are vastly reduced.

ddunbar
July 13th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I have been out of shape too long. I last competed at in a Masters meet in 93. I have been back in the pool since midwinter. Unfortunately between work, commuting, and volunteer time with the Scouts (its only an hour a week), I have had limited time to train and I usually swim after work.

I recently had to changed clubs because of the water aerobics class schedule. The club were I swam started running their water aerobics classes on Mondays and Wednesdays at the pool near the office at 6:00 and at the other pool near the house on Mondays and Thursdays at 6:15.

The pools are 25 meters in 4 lanes (1-4) with a 5th that is ~25 yards and is shallower than lane 1. In the past we conceede the short shallow lane (5) and the adjacent 25m lane (lane 4) to them. Somehow that lane rope between lanes 4 & 5 never came back. They then expanded to 3 lanes taking lane 3.

The straw that broke this camel's back was the move from the shallow side of the pool to the deeper side, eliminating lanes 1 and 2 lanes and leaving only lane 3 with lane lines. Granted that treading water can get to be an aerobic exercise, they probably did not get much benefit from the deep side of the pool since they wear lifebelts.

Most of the lap swimmers are passive noodlers but there are a few of us that are actually swimming workouts. A couple of us complained to management and asked that they either reschedule the class at a non peak time or stay on the shallow side. Evidently they were more vocal and more organized than we were because the club opted to keep the class and the deep side. I dropped my membership after 15 (although most of them passive) years with the club.

New club, 5 x 25 m lanes open indoors for lap swimming 24/7. Water aerobics are in a separate pool. We still get some noodelers but the club is looking to start a Masters Club. I will probably join. Until they get organized, I will keep training with Mel's workouts.

laineybug
July 13th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
This topic has been well dissected on this forum. We all agree with you, trust me!

Don't generalize Geek! I don't agree.

The wateraerobics classes have as much right in the pool as master swimmers. When I first started back I started getting back in shape with wateraerobics and moved into swimming. Later I timed my swims to end when the aerobics class began and would use the class as a warm/down stretch kinda thing. Since my Dad's passing in February I've been going with my mother to the wateraerobics.

Lainey

gull
July 13th, 2005, 01:17 PM
In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, I think I'm having deja vu all over again.

hmlee
July 13th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Oh you know you like rehashing old forum topics...it's fun!

Alex
July 13th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I am doing double session this month as I am able to practice only 30 minutes during the early morning with the team, but my coach is giving me the agenda of the workout I have to continue at the evening (incluiding a new warm up).

There are two lap lines at the time I spend on the pool at the eveining (from 7:30 to 9:00 PM), where five or six swimmers practice by ourselves, although yesterday this huge lady that was in an aerobic class though that there was not problem to come across our lines to get out of the pool....the lap lines do not have a stair to clim out of the pool... the rest of the pool have two stairs. As I do not have graduated googles, I am myopic, it was already dark (the artificial lights were just turning on) and I knew that the other two swimmers in my line were behind me, I did not expect to find something in my way, so I did hit the lady very hard on her fase with my hand (not my intention I swear), so I stopped and the lady said "sorry" to me, I did not say anything, but I had to continue swimming with a sore finger, thinking that she could be crying at the dressing room, my surprice was bigger when two laps latter I hit the same lady in her way back to her class and she said: "sorry again".:mad:

jean sterling
July 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
The only problem they encroach on my lane and my arms get tangled in the lane ropes.

I hear you! In my pool they lean on the lane lines so they are half into my lane (especially difficult if I am sharing the lane) and they will hang their "toys" (those weight things and those noodle things) on the lane line so that they encroach on my lane. There is also the matter of their perfume wafting over into my lane (gag!). There is even the occasional one who will actually stand in my lane (a bit of butterfly usually alleviates this problem).

Blue Horn
July 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I used to swim at a pool that had noodlers and water aerobics. In addition to the boiling hot water, the amount of perfume that they would wear was stiffling. I seriously had to stop some of my workouts because the smell was soooo strong and nauseating.

Hook'em
Blue

aquageek
July 13th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by laineybug
The wateraerobics classes have as much right in the pool as master swimmers.

No they don't. All USMS members, every single one of them, agree on this. Noodlers begone!

A noodle is not a workout device, not even for triathletes.

jswim
July 13th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Don't generalize Geek! I don't agree.

The wateraerobics classes have as much right in the pool as master swimmers.
Lainey

I agree that they do have a right to the pool for sure, however, as in previous threads, they need to have some common courtesy and at least stay well in their designated workout area. We have the same problem with our workouts on Saturday Mornings.

The two lap lanes next to us in the deep end get used for water aerobics, and there are probably regularly 5-8 people in the class. We are a small club using only 2-3 lanes depending on however many show up that day. The women in the class constantly lean up against the lane line, sometimes using their head to hold themselves up (how this is aerobic exercise is beyond me), and allow their legs and lower body to dangle around in our lanes.

Now 5-8 people doing aerobics should have no problem utilizing 2 lanes in the deep end without encroaching on lanes where someone is working out. It is common courtesy, and common sense to keep your body parts out of the lane where someone is swimming! These are adults and they should know that, and if they don't then the instructor should advise them to kindly get out of the way.

Lainey, I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

Peter Cruise
July 13th, 2005, 08:14 PM
...but aren't water aerobics people really all retired triathletes, anyway...hee...hee

laineybug
July 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM
jswim, I agree, if what all you say about the way the noodlers behave is true, and I have no reason not to believe you. I've never seen anything even remotely related to that behavior from the women. In fact I've seen more of the opposite... lap swimmers deliberately trying to splash the women who are a couple of feet away from the laneropes.

I think one of the problems is the name.... there are some exercises that are suppose to be aerobic but there are a lot more exercises that focus on balance or core strength. So next time you think they aren't doing water aerobics, they may not be, they maybe doing balance exercises.... hummm, doesn't TI have drills that focus on balance??? Don't swimmers talk about core strength a lot?

Thank you jswim. He and Mom had lived with me for the past 10 years. I miss him terribly.

Geek, just for the fun of it, tomorrow, get a good, heavy noodle, one that offers a lot of resistance when you push it under the water, one that you really have to use some strength to push it down.... hold it behind you... both hands on it... thumbs forward, fingers backward.... push it down in the water like you are going to sit on it, but don't. When your arms are fully extended behind you like that let the rest of your body float to the surface... then do 50 or so crunches in that balanced position. Or sit on it like a bike and pedal at 100% effort for 500... no pulling, just catching the water with your feet and legs to move up and down the pool... oh, you can also hold your hands above your head to make balancing/pedaling a tad harder.

Lainey

aquageek
July 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I'd be happy to do all those exercises, even though they only exist in cyber space, since no noodling class in the history of plastic foam products has ever done this. Well, maybe one class did it, but the USNF found them out and took away their chapter membership.

I'd be more interested in a noodling class that doesn't complain 93 degree water is too cold and doesn't intrude on lap swim lanes.

As long as I'm doing these alleged noodle exercises, I'd like to see one noodling class do 10 yards of vigorous swimming so they can realize that hair can actually get wet without dire consequences.

Oh, and those float noodle belt things that allow noodlers to actually remain completely stationary in water over their heads are now being made with coffee cup holders so the "water aerobic" class can be taken to its true ultimate destination, that being the in-pool coffee bar.

justforfun
July 14th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I think my body must possess some kind of magnetic field of opposite change from all the objects that typically find their way into my lane!!! I am constantly running over noodles, balls, kickboards, pull buoys, small children, and every other thing people play around with while they are doing whatever they do besides swimming laps.

kernow
July 14th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Don't talk to me about open lap swims- I remember swimming in a C. London pool, where kids used to hang on the lane line and kick the lap swimmers... People would get mad, if I splashed them and got their hair wet. That's when I decided to join a team, so that I could swim with those who wanted to train.

To those complaining about the waves that the noodlers make: Have you ever swam during a practice, either age group or USMS? It's like swimming in a dishwasher, but it's part of the game. What about open water swimming? That's pretty rough...
The rough water will make you a better swimmer- it's all part of the process.

BTW- Yes, noodlers have a right to pool time... Last time I checked, they pay pool fees, too, which helps the USMS swimmers.

It's up to us as competitive swimmers to set our own courses and workouts.

peace...

kernow
July 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Since my Dad's passing in February I've been going with my mother to the wateraerobics.

Lainey

Sorry about your dad- mine's getting on in years and I know I'm gonna miss him like crazy- he's one of my best friends.

Look after yourself and your mom and keep defending the water aerobics (I'm right behind 'ya- I know the classes bring some happiness to those who attend them)

peace...

laineybug
July 14th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Geek, those exercises do exist in our class, where do you think I came up with them? Well, I do have to admit we don't pedal 500, we pedal 250 to 300 and actually race each other, but I figured since you are such a he-man you should be able to do 500 with no problem. Your reluctance suggests that you are afraid to be proved wrong.

The women and MEN in our class do not hang onto the lane ropes or even get close to them because they don't want to be splashed, The noodles are only in the pool when we are using them and we put them on the side of the pool until the class ends. I agree that letting 'toys' float around is inappropriate and should be addressed by management, but it's not only the aerobics class lap swimmers leave their toys too. There is a HUGE sign on the lockers that hold lapswimmers kickboards, paddles and fins that says "Equipment must be returned when not in use" There is no such sign on the locker that holds the noodles. So my point, again is..... don't generalize from one water aerobic class to another... they aren't all alike!

Geek, do you have any idea how cold water feels on arthritic joints? Your lack of compassion is very unbecoming.

What is the big deal about hair getting wet... getting your hair wet does not necessarily indicate that you've exercised any better than someone who has. I can do an aerobic set in water aerobics without getting my hair wet and get my heart up to the same level as I can when I swim. If a person doesn't want their hair wet it's their perogative to keep it dry!

And oh yeah, those belts that keep the noodlers afloat are not just for that. They take away the need to balance in the water and to allow the person to isolate movements and perform the exercise correctly, the way different weight machines isolate and target certain muscle groups. Your ignorance of what is actually happenning in the classes shows, Geek.

Lainey

hmlee
July 14th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Kernow - I did do age group swimming for almost 7 years....so belive me I'm completely familiar with the waves that are present during a typical practice. All the same though, for some reason I feel that it was less noticeable at that time. I'm not sure if it's because the pool I swim in is a mere 4 lanes, or perhaps because the water is shallower (we're talking not even able to dive in at any end here), or maybe it's just since I'm often the only one in an outside lane I'm more sensitive to it. I don't know. In any case, it's not like I plan on stopping swimming because of it - on most days I welcome the challenge of swimming in a tougher enviorment and just accept that my times arn't going to be as fast as they could. The point of this thread was just some playful venting, that's all. :)

Also, sorry about your loss Lainey...

aquageek
July 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Your reluctance suggests that you are afraid to be proved wrong.

Gee whiz, it took you a long time to finally figure that out. Heck yes, I'm afraid, afraid they might tie one of them noodlies around my neck, tie a brick to my flotation belt and pummel me with their water dumbells. Oh, the humanity!

I've been to pools the country over and yes, all the aerobic classes are exactly alike. You must live in a little oasis where there exists a true water aerobics class.

I don't have a compassion problem, well maybe I do. I pay extra to swim with my team, noodling classes are free generally.

Just a little humor, Bug.

laineybug
July 14th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Thank you everyone! Mom was with Dad 24/7 during the last several years of his illness. Before Dad died I was sure that when he did go, Mom would just give up... really shoulda known better because she is a fiesty little 80 something, but they use to just dote on each other. Anyway, after Dad passed, I decided Mom needed to start getting out of the house so I talked her into water aerobics. That first class was really tough on her... her balance terrible and she pooped out about half way through. After three months of aerobics she has no problem with the balance exercises, you can see improvement in her flexibility, strength and endurance (she can do a whole class now) AND she can swim a lap (she has NEVER, in my lifespan, exercised 'formally') I'm trying to talk her int Masters! Besides the physical aspect of it the class has been good for her BECAUSE it is social.

kernow
July 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM
What, another thread that requires me to have a sense of humour? I'll have none of it!

Nah... I'm just sensitive and when I see swimmers pickin' on others, I have to put my two cents' worth in.
I know how mean 'ya all are ;)

kernow
July 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Thank you everyone! Mom was with Dad 24/7 during the last several years of his illness. Before Dad died I was sure that when he did go, Mom would just give up... really shoulda known better because she is a fiesty little 80 something, but they use to just dote on each other. Anyway, after Dad passed, I decided Mom needed to start getting out of the house so I talked her into water aerobics. That first class was really tough on her... her balance terrible and she pooped out about half way through. After three months of aerobics she has no problem with the balance exercises, you can see improvement in her flexibility, strength and endurance (she can do a whole class now) AND she can swim a lap (she has NEVER, in my lifespan, exercised 'formally') I'm trying to talk her int Masters! Besides the physical aspect of it the class has been good for her BECAUSE it is social.

Good for you, Lainey! I'm happy that you both have a water activity to do together- treasure the time you have together; it's precious :)

gull
July 14th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by kernow
I know how mean 'ya all are ;)

'Round these parts, we say "y'all."

And lainey, five bucks says geek can peddle a 500 with a clown suit on.

aquageek
July 14th, 2005, 06:27 PM
No way, amigo.

I biked for 25 minutes today, at a fast pace and was totally gassed. It reminds me why the water beats land.

kernow
July 14th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by gull80
'Round these parts, we say "y'all."

How would I know? I'm from New Yawk.

:p

laineybug
July 14th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Kernow, you are right the time with our parents in their last years is very prescious. It does go too fast. I feel very honored to be in a position that I could help them in their retirement. If it hadn't been for them I wouldn't be in the position I am in today.

Maybe USMS should start a "take your parents swimming day" so more people will get the enjoyment of a water activity with them.

Lainey

Kae1
July 19th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Maybe USMS should start a "take your parents swimming day" so more people will get the enjoyment of a water activity with them.

Lainey

My mother, while being exceedingly proud that I have started swimming again, would throttle me if I dragged her to the pool with me. And my grandmother is so terrified of getting her face wet that she won't use a shower.

Also, I think I've figured out the problem with water aerobics. It's not the water aerobics, or the people doing them. It's the lack of courtesy. One of the problems I've seen at my club is that the noodlers and piddlers (lap swimming isn't allowed during formal 'class' time) often have an attitude of "don't worry, I won't get in your way" without bothering to inquire as to whether or not the lap swimmer is comfortable sharing a lane. One woman (who used to be known as stretch-cord-string-bikini-woman and is now only known as stretch-cord-woman since she bought a decent bathing suit) not only hooks up her stretch cords and impedes the entire end of a lane, but also "warms up" by walking up and down the lane, zig-zagging across it. She'll keep an eye out and get out of your way, but it is EXTREMELY irritating. To top it off, she will also get into a lane that already has two swimmers in it (we have an unofficial limit), claiming "she won't get in the way", even if there are other swimmers that were there before she was, waiting for an available lane!!

On the up side, several of us made passing references to the health club getting sued if one of the lap swimmers got sick from overheating due to the abnormally warm water and the club ignoring its written policy of 82 degrees. The water temperature has gone down and I've knocked 15 minutes off the time it takes for me to finish my 3200m workout.

Just my $.02

Kae

Matt S
July 19th, 2005, 08:54 PM
You've suckered me in. I have two thoughts:

1) If someone is obviously overweight and/or out of shape, they catch a LOT of guff in our current society. My personal rule is that I NEVER, EVER say anything negative to those folks when I see them doing, or trying to do something about it. I've even gone out of my way to chat up some of the supersized people and find something to compliment. Just my personal rule; you can decide what's right for you.

2) Avoiding water aerobes and other open swim eccentrics (didn't Freud write an essay, "Lap Swimming and Its Discontents?"), is yet another excellent reason to find yourself a good Masters club with whom you can workout. I have lived in 6 different communities in the last 15 years, varying from dense urban to rural Naval Air Station. With one 10 month exception, I have always found a Masters club I can join and make fit into my schedule. Now with the web placing lots of info within a few mouse clicks, it's even easier. Get over trying to find the perfect solution, and step into the benefits of good enough. You'll never again grumble about that sweet, church-going, bakes brownies for the little league team, little old lady whose only fault is that she sometimes leaves her noodle in your lane.

Lots of folks have talked about common curtesy. Indeed, don't expect to go drag racing in the Mall parking lot on a weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas. You want to swim aggressive, ambitious workouts. That is fabulous; find yourself a team where all the people in the pool share that goal. You want to work out during lap swim times with people with less ambitious goals, don't be surprised if they don't all bow down to your desires. I sometimes use lap swim time, and when I do, I expect to mostly work on drills and refining stroke technique. I don't set everyone in the pool up for failure by planning on doing a 1650 for time.

Matt

Sonic Swimmer78
July 20th, 2005, 01:09 AM

Lainey

I'd love it if my folks swam with me, but my mom is sensitive about her weight and wearing a swimsuit, especially in public. My dad's knees are shot (cartilage is completely worn out) and he had his shoulder operated on, plus a lower back injury, so swimming would be painful for him.

As for the Hydrobics Classes:

I swim at the University here in town, which has two 25 yard pools. One for lap swimming, which starts at four feet and ends at 12 feet, the other is for stuff like the Hydrobics Classes, since it's four feet throughout, so I really don't have any problems with the Hydrobics Classes one bit.

Today is another story, I went swimming and two boys ranging between 8 and 10 STOLE my lap lane WHILE I WAS SWIMMING! They were practicing their "Starts" and I just got out until another lane was available. I wouldn't want to be paralyzed by a hyper-active kid, who is practicing on his starts.

Mark in MD
July 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Sonic Swimmer78
Today is another story, I went swimming and two boys ranging between 8 and 10 STOLE my lap lane WHILE I WAS SWIMMING! They were practicing their "Starts" and I just got out until another lane was available. I wouldn't want to be paralyzed by a hyper-active kid, who is practicing on his starts. While the kids' enthusiasm is great, shouldn't the lifeguard on duty have checked with you first before these kids started practising? It seems to me that someone should have explained to them about pool etiquette. Actually, they could have timed their practising according to your place in the pool, i.e., when you were at the far end of the pool. But again, that's just my $0.05 worth (adjusted for inflation :D).

hmlee
July 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Maybe there was no lifeguard on duty. At a few of the places I swim at they only have guards during family swim...but then I don't think they allow unsupervised kids around the pool if there arn't guards. Hmm. Yeah I'd be pretty upset if kids stole my lane for that purpose. The problem is if you're doing a set with things like 50's/100's made up of "swim xx slow, xx fast" or a set of 75s or anything that's a little bit funky, the kids might think they know your speed to time their start but arn't aware that this next lap you're going to be going for time, hah.

Except...the pools I swim in either don't have blocks or have them covered up and the general public can't use them (probably a good idea..).

Uh...

I haven't done a start off a block in 5 years.

Hmm....oops. How do I break that one to my school's coach? heheh

Sonic Swimmer78
July 20th, 2005, 11:22 AM
There was a lifeguard, whom I spoke to, I also spoke to the coach on duty, who was teaching an adult swim course. The boys were redirected to another lane, and their weren't any blocks, they just decided to start off the edge of the pool.

I was slightly annoyed, but I found another lane before I let it get to me.

The next time it happens (heaven forbid it happens tomorrow) I'll simply talk to whoever they are and tell them to simply find another lane or wait.

Mark in MD
July 20th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a good plan.