PDA

View Full Version : Kicking....

hmlee
July 12th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Not sure if this is necessarily the right area to post this, but I figured what the hell. Anyway, I'm having issues with my breaststroke kick. My knees are slightly knock-kneed (not very much, but it's somewhat noticeable) and as such I seem to have a difficult time performing a correct breastroke kick. Needless to say, this is a huge problem when doing IMs. I can be fine in the fly, back, and free, but the breaststroke and my horrible kick drag me down. Has anyone else ever had any similar problems with this kick, or does anyone know of a good way to try to correct this? Am I simply out of luck?

kernow
July 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I'm sure that you can correct your kick- but I'm not sure how...

nkace
July 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I am actually horrible in breast stroke all around, can't get the hang of it.

battle
July 13th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I have the same problem. I do still work on the breast kick but I have resorted to improving my breast pull. I also like the IM and have found that by the time I get to breast my kick is worthless anyway.

Jeff Commings
July 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM
There is a certain degree of genetics involved for every breaststroker. You need the ankle and hip flexion. But that's not to say it can't be done.

Stretching helps to train your body to be more flexible outside of the "normal" range of motion. I often stretch my hip flexors by sitting on a carpeted floor in the breaststroke kick position. One minute on, one minute off for 6-10 minutes once in a while is good.

In the water, try kick sets with a buoy set right above your knees or a strap placed above the kneecap. It'll keep your knees in line and help your hips work harder.

Best of luck.

Bob McAdams
July 14th, 2005, 02:24 AM
In addition to Jeff's suggestions, you might also try the drills in:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/2005articles/february/breaststroke-kick.html

aztimm
July 15th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Ok, I swim with a team and usually once a week the coach has a lane for stroke drills/stroke improvement. I've done this for breast several times.

One of the best things I've done for breast kick....do the kick with no board. Push off the wall as normal, then hold your hands behind you in the small of your back (above your butt). When you kick, you should feel like your feet are aiming for your hands. Do 2 kicks then take a breath. Your hands should basically stay behind your back when you're between the flags.

Start out with just doing 25s with 10 seconds rest, then slowly build up to 50s. Believe me, this will take much more energy than normal kicking with a board.

I've always been half decent at breast....from the time I was a little kid it always came naturally. Of course there's always improvements to make.

Good luck.