PDA

View Full Version : I need to swim!! (venting)

chlorine23
July 13th, 2005, 07:45 PM
So I'm kinda irked. I've been swimming the majority of my life. I quit a few years ago (not entirely, just the whole 3 hour workout, 6 days a week thing). Well now I have an awesome job (wildland firefighter) but it's out in the middle of nowhere, which I actually love. But the problem is, there's not really any pools around me. The nearest one is a YMCA about 45 minutes away, which isn't bad except that I absolutely cannot be even 30 seconds late for work. Plus we PT pretty hard at work, so doing a workout before hand would be suicide. I work across the street from a big lake where no swimming is allowed (a big tease) and in front of a camp ground that has a tiny polluted pool (another tease). Bah!! I'm frustrated. I'm having chlorine withdrawals. I have two days off where I drive back to civilization, but for the past few weeks I've had so much to do that I haven't made it to the pool on my days off. So I'm just venting. I think I'm going to clean my barracks out with bleach just to get that homely smell again. I now see the arguement behind one of those little pools where the water moves so you can swim in place. I used to think they were pretty dorky, now I think they're cool.

thisgirl13
July 14th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Chlorine23,

I know how you feel. I just moved back to Ohio, staying at my mum's, and while I have a YMCA a couple blocks from the apartment, there is no Master's team, and I am still a member of the Y in Pittsburgh, so I can't join the Y here until August.

I'm going insane. I miss the pool soooo much, and everything I see constantly reminds me that I can't just run off to the pool and swim.

It's one thing to not swim because you don't want to, it's another entirely to want to and not be able to.

etrain
July 14th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Do you have room in your house for an Endless Pool??? They are pretty affordable and I have heard good things about them. Just a thought!!!

etrain

laineybug
July 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
talk the powers that be into a pool (or an endless pool) at work... point out that swimming could be part of your regular PT. I know.... it was just a thought.

Sonic Swimmer78
July 17th, 2005, 12:27 AM
What do you do when you want to compete and don't have a ride to a swim meet that's roughly 45 minutes in a neighboring town?

I've been wanting to attend swim meets since late April. Unfortunately, transportation has always been a problem with me ARGH! Worse yet, ALL of my teammates live in the OPPOSITE part of town! I've offered gas fare, but still to no avail. I'm GOING INSANE HERE!!!

Today, we had a Meet that was a 50 minute drive to the neighboring town. I didn't go because of transportation or the fact that everyone is afraid to go to my side of town (which is roughly a half-an-hour trip, give or take)

So, I swam at the "El Comino"*Aquatic Center (see Pet Peeves Thread) today, plus, I found out that there's another Meet happening here in town next month.

I HOPE I can attend THAT ONE and have ONE swim Meet on my belt, next to that Postal Swim I attended six months ago.

chlorine23
July 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Etrain: I'd love to get one of those endless pools, but unfortunately I'm still in apartment status, so there will be no endless pool for me until I can afford to buy a house. And in San Diego that might take awhile.

Laineybug: I can't even convince my own crew to want to swim. And actually most of them can't. My captain played waterpolo, but the rest would drown. After we come back from our runs or hikes in 100 degree heat and 30% humidity, they can't understand why I want to jump in the lake. Crazy people.

LindsayNB
July 20th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Sonic Swimmer78
I've been wanting to attend swim meets since late April. Unfortunately, transportation has always been a problem with me ARGH! Worse yet, ALL of my teammates live in the OPPOSITE part of town! I've offered gas fare, but still to no avail. I'm GOING INSANE HERE!!!

Today, we had a Meet that was a 50 minute drive to the neighboring town. I didn't go because of transportation or the fact that everyone is afraid to go to my side of town (which is roughly a half-an-hour trip, give or take)

Perhaps you can get some sort of transit to a part of town that is convenient for whoever is driving?

geochuck
July 20th, 2005, 04:19 PM
No bus to get you to a pick up point? I used to bicycle. Your team has to have someone in charge of transportation.

Sonic Swimmer78
July 20th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Well, we do have a bus system, I'm vision impaired so I use the disability services, UNFORTUNATELY, you have to schedule a trip fourteen days in advance in order to have a sure ride to where ever you're going, which includes a pickup (from your house) and a return back home.

I can't predict the future and see where we'll be meeting, nor do I know when the meet will end.

George, I like your idea. I'll have to discuss that with my teammates and see if there's a way I can attend these things. I love Masters and Swimming, and I'm NOT about to quit because of transportation problems.