PDA

View Full Version : Achy breaky shoulder

swimr4life
July 15th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Any doctors or physical therapists.....I need free advice!;)

I had thermal capsular shrinkage done on my shoulder about 4 years ago. (I think that is the correct term?) I've recovered and seemed to be doing well as long as I do my PT exercises and don't over do. Unfortunately, my schedule has been very hectic lately and I've been sporadic with my workouts and not doing my shoulder exercises like I should. I did a lot of backstroke in my workout yesterday. I'm now having achy pain in the back part of my deltoid area with sharp pains every once and a while. I know you can't diagnose me 100% without examining me but.....should I worry? I took today off and I've been doing the ice/Motrin routine. How long should I wait/rest my shoulder before I worry and go to the Dr.? :(

scyfreestyler
July 15th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I am no doctor or PT but I have read on numerous occasions that it is best to wait until you have 2 consecutive pain free days before resuming your training. I tend to throw caution to the wind and go for it myself. If you think it is feeling a little better you might try swimming only freestyle and keep the yardage down. Most importantly, listen to your body. If your body starts aching early on in the workout then you should probably finish your workout with kicking and leave well enough alone.

msgrupp
July 15th, 2005, 10:55 PM
you weren't allowed to do for quite a few weeks after your thermal assisted capsular shift---the freestyle. Overhand movement was "forbidden". So that also took care of the backstroke and (for certain!) butterfly.

I was allowed to breast stroke (easy though) about 3 months after my capsular shift (also thermal). It was closer to 4 months before I was allowed to freestyle.

How about a few sessions concentrating on just kicking and flips? Keeps you in the water but minimal stress on the shoulder--give it a chance to recover!

scyfreestyler
July 15th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I have never understood how breaststroke is not overhead. The only breaststroke I know of involves your hands going above your head while fighting against the resistance of the water. I have noticed that when my shoulder stabilizer muscles are fatigued that breaststroke makes my shoulders pop and click.

msgrupp
July 16th, 2005, 10:16 AM
is the only stroke (at least according to the surgeon) that does not have your shoulder rotating around itself (such as when you reach to get something off a shelf). The other 3 strokes involve more rotation by moving the joint in a round fashion while the breast stroke is just pushing and pulling.

I didn't mean exactly over head but more over hand.

After my surgery I wasn't allowed to reach over head to get things off shelves. I was only allowed to have what is called "passive, assisted movement"--the therapist moving my arm not me to a position straight over my head. This went on for about a month after I got out of the sling (which was about 4 weeks from the surgery--so a total of 8 weeks).

gull
July 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM
A few thoughts:

I like Aleve better (active ingredient is Naprosyn).

Not being a backstroker, I never found backstroke to be gentler on my shoulder (could be my technique) than freestyle.

Like 330man, I found breaststroke to be painful early in the course I my "rehab" (I didn't have surgery). I think it's because of internal rotation of the shoulder at the catch--palm facing outward before beginning the pull (again could be a technique problem).

You need to get back to your exercises (disclaimer: I'm not an orthopedist). And I think you still need to be careful with changes in yardage.