PDA

View Full Version : Ear Issues

scyfreestyler
July 18th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Last Thursday I noticed that I was losing hearing in my RH ear. While exiting the pool on Wednesday I attempted to clear some water out of my ear with my finger which only served to drive it further inside. Anyhow, I can still hear but the level of hearing is diminished. There is no pain so I decided to use some swimmer's ear eardrops (Rubbing Alcohol in a bottle). How long should I wait before I go to an MD? Wait for pain? Until Thursday?

Leonard Jansen
July 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I occasionally have the same thing happen to me. For me, it means that I am getting crud in my inner ear because I am not using my ear drops regularly. So I: 1) Use a rubber ear cleaning bulb to get out any crud that has accumulated 2) Use ear drops regularly.

BTW, I make a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar that seems to work better (and is lots cheaper) than the ear drops you buy in the store.

Your mileage may vary.

-LBJ

gull
July 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Probably wax in the ear canal--you can try the over the counter drops to soften it up but don't try to remove it yourself (see a professional).

scyfreestyler
July 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will give the drops a day or two to work their magic but if things don't improve I will make an appointment to see an ear/nose/throat MD about it. Actually, I am going to see my cardiologist on Thursday for my stress echo. Maybe I'll have him take a peek in there. Kill two birds with one stone.

battle
July 19th, 2005, 07:09 AM
I use a combination of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide 50/50. I fill my ear up with the stuff and then let it drip out into my towel. If there is alot of wax in there you can hear it fiz.