PDA

View Full Version : Enough!

SwimStates1
July 20th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Speaking from a swimmers point of view, the coaches of today need to understand why they are doing things. I don't know where they get these workouts from. Let's do it like the old days with 1000's and 500's that was fun! Enough of trying to get everyone interested!

jpjackson76
July 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Amen! They are to confusing trying to remember the workout, especially when oxygen debt sets in.

geochuck
July 20th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I still love my 1000 meters a day workouts. No fancy lingo like descending times I just go fast for each 25, 50, 75 or 100.

Matt S
July 20th, 2005, 02:35 PM
All these new-fangle coaching methods and stroke drills are way over-rated. Let's get back to the old days. Make us suffer! That was really fun. Who needs creative workouts? Panzies that's who. Why waste time on stroke drills? Just swim fast and you'll figure it out.

And while we're getting back to basics, let's look at the equipment issue:
- Low drag suits, what a waste of time. In fact, all artificial fibers are suspect in my book. Let's go back to the Johnny Weissmuller all wool numbers. Real men know how to deal with drag suits.
- Goggles, what? Can't your eyes stand up to a little chlorine?
- Lane lines, when I was an age group swimmer, we used to have to swim between home and school, up-hill, both ways, 15 miles, in a driving snow storm. And now, you can't take a little splashing from the guys in the next lane? Puhlease!
- Kick boards and pull buoys, you actually need things that FLOAT to help you when you are swimming?! Try doing a pull set with a 35 lb dumb bell between your legs, like real men. And don't get me started about fins, short-blade fins, zoomers or paddles.
- Water bottles and sports drinks, hydration is for whimps. Water is nothing but an excuse to have to go to the locker room "to go" right in the middle of the main set. Did Washington and the Continental Army have water bottles when they crossed the Delaware or at Valley Forge? Did Mark Spitz stop for a Gatoraide in the middle of his 200 fly world record? Did Moses and the Israelites have water when they wandered in the desert for 40 years? I don't think so!

And while I'm at it, what is all this nonsense about the butterfly anyway? It's nothing but a concession to breaststroke cheaters! Get rid of it! Bring back the 150 and 300 IM, I say.

And of course, once we get rid of all this "popular" fluff and nonsense, the entire civilized world will realize what a pure sport we have. They'll get rid of their Air Jordans, and put down the video games, and they'll all flock to the pools, where the water slides will all be dismantled, so they can all suffer joyously for 8 hours a day, just like we did when we were kids.

Like I was telling my pastor the other day, if the King James version and Windows 3.5 were good enough for Jesus Christ, then by God, they're good enough for me!

Matt

geochuck
July 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM
What we really need are dancing girls on the deck so we can have fun while working out. These so called coaches who write codes for workouts are not making the workouts fun. They are running skill testing games. Not swimming skills but brain teasers. I can't read their stuff because they write too small, so I make my own fun trying to beat the clock in my own lane at the open swims. Johnny Weismuller was a great guy and is the reason big guys swim now. Sure we have made gains but is not from drills it is because the good coaches know how to make stroke corrections. I met Johnny even had lunch with him. I also met Jesus in Mexico he ran the campground at Boca De Iguana he could not swim a stroke until I taught him.

jpjackson76
July 21st, 2005, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Matt S
All these new-fangle coaching methods and stroke drills are way over-rated. Let's get back to the old days. Make us suffer! That was really fun. Who needs creative workouts? Panzies that's who. Why waste time on stroke drills? Just swim fast and you'll figure it out.

- Low drag suits, what a waste of time. In fact, all artificial fibers are suspect in my book. Let's go back to the Johnny Weissmuller all wool numbers. Real men know how to deal with drag suits.
- Lane lines, when I was an age group swimmer, we used to have to swim between home and school, up-hill, both ways, 15 miles, in a driving snow storm. And now, you can't take a little splashing from the guys in the next lane? Puhlease!
- Kick boards and pull buoys, you actually need things that FLOAT to help you when you are swimming?! Try doing a pull set with a 35 lb dumb bell between your legs, like real men. And don't get me started about fins, short-blade fins, zoomers or paddles.
- Water bottles and sports drinks, hydration is for whimps. Water is nothing but an excuse to have to go to the locker room "to go" right in the middle of the main set. Did Washington and the Continental Army have water bottles when they crossed the Delaware or at Valley Forge? Did Mark Spitz stop for a Gatoraide in the middle of his 200 fly world record? Did Moses and the Israelites have water when they wandered in the desert for 40 years? I don't think so!

And while I'm at it, what is all this nonsense about the butterfly anyway? It's nothing but a concession to breaststroke cheaters! Get rid of it! Bring back the 150 and 300 IM, I say.

And of course, once we get rid of all this "popular" fluff and nonsense, the entire civilized world will realize what a pure sport we have. They'll get rid of their Air Jordans, and put down the video games, and they'll all flock to the pools, where the water slides will all be dismantled, so they can all suffer joyously for 8 hours a day, just like we did when we were kids.

Like I was telling my pastor the other day, if the King James version and Windows 3.5 were good enough for Jesus Christ, then by God, they're good enough for me!

Matt

Oh your a smart one are ya?

AguaMan
August 3rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
This thread cracked me up. I have just gotten back into Master's swimming recently. One comment i have heard myself say is.."I don't come here to swim AND think!!! All these fancy new terms and sets....i have a hard time just keepin count.
What is a senior citizen to do???!!!!
But i still keep on pluggin.
I do like the idea of the girls at the end of the pool though. Or just standing next to the lane would be adequate and more motivating (women's bodies look really nice underwater). Sorry if i sound sexist, but i am, i love to look at the female form.

BillS
August 3rd, 2005, 12:13 PM
And on that topic . . . there was a very attractive woman in a bikini swimming (slowly, rec swimmer style) next to me yesterday. She then got out and pulled a lounge chair up right at the opposite end of my lane to sun herself. Pretty much directly below the pace clock. By some fortuitous happenstance, yesterday's workout included a whole bunch of 25's and 75's (really, I'm not making this up, check Mo's workout for yesterday). It made it pretty tough to watch the clock and hit the intervals -- at least until her boyfriend/husband/significant whatever got out and pulled his chair up next to her. From his glares, I'm guessing he was a little suspicious as to why I was doing all that stopping and starting right in front of her, then looking directly at/past her to the clock.

And to those women swimmers who feel self-conscious about squeezing into a workout suit, in my book there's nothing a whole lot sexier than an athletic looking woman in a tank who can swim. Even better than bikini-clad sunbathers.

u352
August 3rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Thats funny-now I know why I get all those looks at the pool. :)

mattson
August 3rd, 2005, 05:31 PM
Did Moses and the Israelites have water when they wandered in the desert for 40 years?

I'm getting an image of a sports-drink ad maker, reading this line and yelling "Eureka!"

(Or maybe Nike... "Trying to reach the Promised Land? Just Do It.")

Blue Horn
August 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Matt S,

Great post, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. I love a dry sense of humor. From what I can tell it was a prerequisite for admission. Either that or a complete lack of any sense of humor.

Hook'em
Blue

PeirsolFan
August 3rd, 2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by BillS
And to those women swimmers who feel self-conscious about squeezing into a workout suit, in my book there's nothing a whole lot sexier than an athletic looking woman in a tank who can swim. Even better than bikini-clad sunbathers.

Too funny! :) In all honesty I don't have time to check out lifeguards or recreational swimmers and have yet to meet anyone who felt self-conscious in their suit. Pool staff told me to watch for good eye candy at a particular pool however my job is to go there to work not to look.

But of course... From time to time - quite rarely though - I'll see another swimmer pop up with slick black cap or hair and goggles and think, "Wow. There's a hot seal!" Then out of the pool while passing the seal in the lobby? Not so hot anymore. Clothes are so overrated.

Alicat
August 3rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by AguaMan
I do like the idea of the girls at the end of the pool though. Or just standing next to the lane would be adequate and more motivating (women's bodies look really nice underwater). Sorry if i sound sexist, but i am, i love to look at the female form.

Don't think for one moment that some women are not "paceing themselves" for the underwater glance of a nice looking male wearing the classic Speedo. Men, keep working on the body roll! :D
It's the male form I am watching, swimming technique, honest! That's the ticket!

BillS
August 4th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Of course our pool perceptions are usually suspect due to our being stoned to the bejesus on endorphins. Hence the "What was I thinking?" reaction in the lobby. Although I'm usually high for a couple of hours after a workout. Your results may vary.

How does it go . . . "Friends don't let friends put the endorphin goggles on?" Something like that . . .

Kruger
August 12th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by jpjackson76
Oh your a smart one are ya?

Maybe, but he definitely has a point and I'm sorry you failed to recognize that...

Swimming, just as every other sport, has to evolve otherwise it will disappear... The new coaching methods might be a bit confusing and look very complicated but swimmers are getting faster and faster and records keep tumbling down and its happening because of training methodology that is based on years of practice and research.

A.K.
September 7th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Matt

If I may say that was Awesome!!

I remember 10K in the morning seperated by a 5 mile run and weights afternoon then 12K evening. AAAgh!!!
Legskin / speedsuit- use surf baggies from your morning surf sessions!!!

jmcbratn
October 10th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I cam from the days of yard, yards years. My daughter is been swimming US swim for about 7 months and her stroke is almost as good as mine was when I was 18.

Watching the practices they do and the drills they do makes a loot of since. Anyone can get in shape. That will not make you into a great, fast swimmer. It is the little things that shave off tenths of seconds off your time (or in my case to get to the old times). If you are serious about swimming then learn the new techniques that have moved the times down and clearly make us go faster. This is just what you would do in your own business to become more successful. Work smart not hard.

It is a work out. And your workout is mental as well as physical. Don't get me wrong I love to see women and all that. But I can do that after the workout is done.