PDA

View Full Version : My pool is being drained, and I need to taper! Any Ideas?

Jim Rowland
July 20th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I just learned that the pool our masters club uses for workouts will be drained this Saturday (7/23), and will not be available again until August 15. I have been training for LCM Nationals (8/11-14) for the past five months, and now three weeks out I don't have a pool to train in.

I will do my best to find places to swim, but the conditions will likely not be too conducive to training. I want to start my taper July 31, and will be on my own. I plan to swim the 50 and 100 free plus 50 and 100 fly at LCM Nationals. I train about 10,000 yards/meters per week over three workouts.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice? Much appreciated.

waves101
July 21st, 2005, 09:04 AM
Try to find a high school program that may be starting up or one that offers open swim during the week and/or weekends. Also, its a great time of year to swim in the local lakes. Water's actually a bit warmer than necessary but its a great long course workout. I, too, have gone thru these pool closures right when I needed to taper. It's not fun but workarounds can be found. Good Luck @ LCM Nats.

Rob Copeland
July 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
Check with your LMSC chair, Mary Pohlmann, Iím sure she can help you find a pool.

You can find her email address and phone in the Local Programs section of the USMS.org web site.

fatboy
July 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM
Check the Evanston Masters web site. I think they have a long course pool and it might be close enough to you.