PDA

View Full Version : Seeding at Nationals

mbmg3282
July 21st, 2005, 10:29 PM
The 400, 800 and 1500 free will be swum slowest to fastest men and women together.

The 400 IM will be swum slowest to fastest men first, then women.

Mark Gill
Championship Liaison

Glenn
July 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Very disappointed that it has been decided to swim the 400 free men and women together without regard to age group!!! One of the biggest reasons to go to Nationals is to be able to swim against and next to your age peers. Why not just enter a local meet and swim the 400 there?:(

This is not a happy camper...and on my 56th birthday no less!!!

Glenn

LindsayNB
July 22nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Glenn
... Why not just enter a local meet and swim the 400 there?:(

Because then you wouldn't be able to swim the 50, 100 and 200 events against your age peers? Or because you wouldn't be able to compete against and socialize with people from all over the country?

hrietz
July 22nd, 2005, 05:09 AM
I also am swimming the 400 and I would prefer to swim against my peers in my age group. HOWEVER since this is obviously a more efficient way to run things I am all for it. The 400 was my sixth event so I would rather swim it the way they are doing it than not at all.

etrain
July 22nd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Would you rather swim the race with someone in your age group who is 3:00 behind or ahead of you and you will never see him, or swim next to someone who is at your pace or better so you might push yourself to go faster and get a better time...

My $0.02!!!

etrain

aquageek
July 22nd, 2005, 09:59 AM
I agree with e. There are not guarantees in any race you will be swimming against your age group, only people of similar seed times.

Jeff Commings
July 22nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Yes, I am sure someone like Jackie Marrs will be happy to know that the 400 is seeded by time. She's miles ahead of anyone in her age group, and if the race was done by age, she'd be all alone.

Now, she'll be in a heat of people with times similar to hers. And she'll get to race and possibly go faster than if she swam alone.

Glenn
July 22nd, 2005, 11:02 AM
All good points and well taken. I am just saying for me I prefer swimming with my age peers.

Case in point. At the recent SC Nats in Ft. Lauderdale, I swam in one of the most exciting 500 yard races for me ever. I swam next to the eventual winner (Jim Clemmons) and knew that he would beat me by quite a bit. He went - 5:09 to my 5:33, however I also knew where I should be in relation to him at various points in the race and knew I was swimming a good time. On the other side of me was Chuck Olson who I know goes out fast. I wanted to be sure to stay within reach of him and not let him get too far ahead. With 100 to go Chuck had a 2+ second lead on me. He placed third in 5:32.87 and I placed fourth in 5:33.00. He beat me by .13! I might have had a similar result had I swum in another heat next to someone else, but it wouldn't have been as much fun of a race!:)

Glenn

battle
July 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I think for the winners of their age group, it would be more fulfilling to touch that wall first rather than finish 5th in a heat of younger swimmers.

aquageek
July 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by battle
I think for the winners of their age group, it would be more fulfilling to touch that wall first rather than finish 5th in a heat of younger swimmers.

And, meets would last 2-3 times as long if you only swam against your age group. I've never heard anyone complain about finishing first in their age group but 3rd or 4th in their heat.

battle
July 24th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Good point, meets are long enough already