PDA

View Full Version : How Many Calories?

waterdragon
July 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
I've never been able to accurately measure how many calories I have burned in a hour of swimming. I can track no problem on a treadmill or a bike and then transfer those numbers to running or biking outside but swimming I'm not sure. Any general guidelines?

battle
July 22nd, 2005, 08:36 AM
I have got a computer program that estimates the calories used. I depends on your sex, age and weight. I would be happy to look it up for you. For me it is about 800 for an hour.

waterdragon
July 22nd, 2005, 09:13 AM
Wow thnx Battle. What's the name of that program? Can you purchase at store or online?

My parameters are 25, female, 190 (ugh)

Blue Horn
July 22nd, 2005, 10:20 AM
Have you ever checked out fitday.com ? Its free and it halps track everything you eat and do. The swimming estimates are just rough estimates though and do not take into consideration age and weight. It is a very neat site that helps you see how many calories are coming in and going out. You can even go in a create your own recipes for calculating your food intake.

Hook'em
Blue

waterdragon
July 22nd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Thnx Bluehorn. I will check out the website. As for swimming with the highschool and college kids. I don't think I am "allowed" to. I remember swimming in highschool and there were a few times when some people not on the team wanted to swim with us and they were told they couldn't. Plus the lanes are so crowded!!! 5-6 swimmers per lane:(

Blue Horn
July 22nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
Just join the team. USA has open events, which anyone can swim in if I am not mistaken.

Hook'em
Blue

battle
July 22nd, 2005, 10:11 PM
Waterdragon,
The answer is 825/ hr for you to swim vigorously according to the program. It is called diet balancer and I think I got it from my mother some years ago. I don't know its availability now.

exrunner
July 23rd, 2005, 01:05 AM
Battle,

Would you be so kind as to compute my calorie burning rate? My parameters are:

Male, Age 43, 135 lbs.

I cannot describe my swimming as "vigorous". Just fast enough not to sink.

Thanks!

battle
July 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Exrunner,
You come in at 635 per hour