PDA

View Full Version : Sh-sh-shark!

kernow
July 23rd, 2005, 03:22 PM
You probably know what's coming next.

Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Peace...

laineybug
July 23rd, 2005, 05:08 PM
I lived on St. Simons Isl, a barrier island off the coast of GA, slightly north of Jacksonville, Fl, for most of my childhood and teen years. Never once heard of anyone being attacked by a shark. Just do some commonsense things.... don't swim in schools of fish that would attrack hungry sharks. Sharks sometimes get trapped between sandbars and the beach when the tide is low because they followed fish into the shallow watter when the tide was high Others may be able to give you hints on what colors not to wear. I'm not up on that.
Lainey

geochuck
July 23rd, 2005, 05:41 PM
I had a training swim in the Coral Islands and they told me that I needed a gun guard to be on the beach while swimming. It was quite pleasant until he yelled shark, I exited the water and swam faster faster and ran out..

FindingMyInnerFish
July 23rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
Someone advised me prior to my ocean swim not to wear shiny jewelry. Of course, I don't wear jewelry anyway when I swim for fear I'll lose it, but in case you do, something to think about.

Have also heard ppl should avoid bright or highly contrasting colors. Think I heard that on NPR.

Recently, I was swimming between a beach and a sandbar. Probably good I didn't hear about all this at that time! Didn't, however, run into any sharks.

Good luck w/ your swimming.

kernow
July 24th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks...

Last week, someone I swim with saw a shark... The thing is, sharks are (generally) quite happy to swim about, not bothering anyone (kinda like me :))

I'm just terrified of being sampled. I once read somewhere that swimmers in Florida are usually no more than 15-30 ft. away from one.
We'll see. I'm off to the beach in around 30 mins.

Maryyyyyy
July 24th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Maybe you've already seen this... I did a google and found a VERY cool site about

SHARK ATTACK (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/isaf/isaf.htm)

QUOTE:

Year 2000 USA Beach Injuries and Fatalities

*From within the jurisdictions of 68 USLA East and West Coast ocean lifeguard agencies*
Here are what the real odds are based on the data below:

Drowning and other beach-related fatalites 1 in 2 million
Drowning fatalites 1 in 3.5 million
Shark attacks 1 in 11.5 million
Shark attack fatalites 0 in 264.1 million

There's also a page with

Reducing the Risk of a Shark Encounter (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/Attacks/relariskreduce.htm)

Enjoy your swim!
Mary

Maryyyyyy
July 24th, 2005, 02:31 PM
just had to share this...

:cool:

kernow
July 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
LOL!

Actually, I did make into the water today- and there was a shark scare!

Someone noticed a dorsel (sp?) fin off in the distance, about 150 yds out. I freaked out of course and the rest of the bathers and on-lookers kept watching. There were tonnes of baitfish everywhere and the shark was obviously hungry.

Wondering why the lifeguards were so reticent about this Jaws sequel in the making, I marched up to the nearest hut and told the lifeguard that there was a shark out there.

Obviously used to concerned citizens like me, he told me that it was a ray (I forget which) and not to worry. He even let me look through his binoculars to reassure me. Others on the beach had followed my lead, and wanted to see what was out there, too.

The lifeguard and I had a short discussion about the 'perils' and myths about open water swimming, which actually made me feel a lot better about the whole deal.

It also turned out that we had (briefly) swam on the same USMS team.

(My DH made me laugh, when I told him this; he's like, 'Flirting with the lifeguards already?)

peace...

Maryyyyyy
July 24th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by kernow

(My DH made me laugh, when I told him this; he's like, 'Flirting with the lifeguards already?)

Now THAT's a REAL good reason to do open-water swimming!! :cool:

F'ueco
July 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM
But the women that do the open water swimming can make it worthwhile as well...

Maryyyyyy
July 25th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by F'ueco
But the women that do the open water swimming can make it worthwhile as well...

THANKS!! as a buddy of mine says, "women who swim tend to have better physiques than those who do not." duh!!

by the way, I have a little story about lifeguards and ow swims. Last summer during the 3KM at the World Championships in Riccione (Italy) I got to the 2nd buoy and paused to look around to sight the 3rd (which was VERY far away and impossible to see)... The lifeguard on the boat said, "GO! GO!" and I said, "Which way?" (is that breaking the rules???) The truth is, I took one look and fell in love. So I just hung out for a while, chatting... then decided to proceed with the race when about 5 women had passed me. Never saw the guy again.

And yes, that was just an excuse for why I did so poorly at the Champs... :rolleyes:

Guvnah
July 25th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Two men were walking in the woods. Suddenly a bear started coming towards them. One guy immediately started putting on running shoes. The other chided him, "Do you really think you can outrun a bear?" The first guy replied, "I don't have to. I only have to outrun you."

Moral of the story -- always swim with someone slower than you. :)

FindingMyInnerFish
July 26th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah
Two men were walking in the woods. Suddenly a bear started coming towards them. One guy immediately started putting on running shoes. The other chided him, "Do you really think you can outrun a bear?" The first guy replied, "I don't have to. I only have to outrun you."

Moral of the story -- always swim with someone slower than you. :)

;)

But maybe you'll get a shark that likes the challenge of catching the leader....

sdswimmer
July 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM
What i want to know is how you are supposed to avoid swimming through clouds of baitfish. THey just suddenly ball up around me at times. I'm not actually worried about sharks but all the recent lit seems to warn about the fish.

kernow
July 27th, 2005, 06:53 PM
What's wrong with swimming through baitfish?

(Shark issues aside, I think the fishies are kinda cute)

sdswimmer
July 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM
About fish, its just the shark issue. I'm not actually worried about the shark more bemused by this "advice". WHen I used to sail off the east coast they would say "if you see bubbles rising in a cloud around you back up" (to avoid whales) as if a sialboat could... This advice seems similar.
I like swimming withthe fishies too!

kernow
July 28th, 2005, 06:25 AM
"I like swimming withthe fishies"

It could be arranged...

Just kidding. :p

sdswimmer
July 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Hey I'm working on that part just fine all by myself. I've been testing my recovery all winter by seeing how big a surf break I can swim through without total failure...

geochuck
June 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Here is my buddy the shark

FindingMyInnerFish
June 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by geochuck

"Do not enter the water if sharks are known to be present and evacuate the water if sharks are seen while there. And, of course, do not harass a shark if you see one!"

Um... George, in the photo were you harassing the shark or was the shark harassing you? ;)

Gulf Coast Swimmer
June 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I've heard that it's bad to wear anything dolphin-colored, as in grey or light blue wetsuits. I guess sharks are more interested if they think you're a dolphin...

A.K.
June 11th, 2006, 11:30 PM
What if you wear a Fastkin sharkskin suit?

geochuck
June 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I never actually saw him he was on the right side and I breathe on the left. The coastgard told me it was a 14 foot white shark. He harrassed me for 10 miles.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 12th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by geochuck
I never actyually saw him he was on the right side and I breathe on the left. The coastgard told me it was a 14 foot white shark. He harrassed me for 10 miles.

Ah, he must have been lonely and needed some company! :)

Seriously, I think if I'd turned around and seen a shark that close, my heart would stop. Yikes! Interesting that it just swam alongside you that long without making a move to attack....

geochuck
June 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
He was only beside us for a few hundred yards and then dropped in about 200 yards behind us for the next ten miles.

mattson
June 14th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by FindingMyInnerFish
Interesting that it just swam alongside you that long without making a move to attack....

I've heard that sharks are attracted to thrashing and splashing, as it mimics the sounds of a wounded fish. Maybe the shark was waiting for that, and grew bored when George's smooth stroke technique didn't change.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by mattson
I've heard that sharks are attracted to thrashing and splashing, as it mimics the sounds of a wounded fish. Maybe the shark was waiting for that, and grew bored when George's smooth stroke technique didn't change.

Good point... and George has also, I suspect, built up the right kind of karma....

Sixty Minutes had an interesting segment on sharks last night... sounded as if they have as much to fear from people as people do from them--especially the people going after shark fins, cutting them off the shark and then throwing the still alive shark back into the water.... that just hurt to see! Self-defense, yes, but deliberate cruelty for a profit? :mad:

Swimmer1999
July 25th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I was actually bumped by a shark this past Sunday during our ocean swim, glad it was me (the coach) and not one of my swimmers. We swim about 1000 yards offshore to avoid the sandbars. Anyway, we swam back to shore, kept our composure and that was that. Actually, here in Florida most of the sharks are kind of small, so if we do get bit, we just get bit. As opposed to having something bit off.

We're getting into shark migration season, so we'll probably be pulling the open water's back a bit.

kernow
July 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Where in Florida (generally) do you swim? And when is 'shark migration season,' exactly?

Oh, and how far from shore CAN we swim safely?

Swimmer1999
July 25th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Flagler Beach, Florida.

Shark migration begins the end of July. You'd have to watch the news to know exactly when it would end, since it varies. We swim so far offshore because there are two sandbars we need to pass. Sometimes sharks get stuck between the sandbars; we in turn go to the deep water.

Additionally, on average we have 10 swimmers on an ocean swim which increases the safety factor. We also do our swims pared back for the slowest swimmers. As a group, it's much safer out there. No one swims alone.

kernow
July 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I can understand about the sandbars...

Swim well...

TomBrooklyn
October 16th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I've heard that it's bad to wear anything dolphin-colored, as in grey or light blue wetsuits.
Aqua Sphere Aqua Skins are primarily grey, with a black and blue or black and red.

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/products/aqua_skin_wt80_2p.html

They're what I wear so I wonder if this is a potential problem for swimming at Coney Island/Brighton.

MikeGarr
October 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I swim at least once a week in the open ocean and have never seen a shark. This is an irrational fear and you all need to get over it.

geochuck
October 17th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Hey Mike - Go back to the first page of this thread and see my buddy the Shark

MikeGarr
October 17th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Hey George,
Seen that.
Do you know the last time a person was killed by a shark in RI?
If the last time you heard about a shark while you were swimming was 1972, I'm still not worried.
Besides I stay much closer to shore than Block Island Sound.

Cheers,
Mike.

geochuck
October 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
That shark followed me from Narragansset all the way to Blocke Island RI. I am sure glad he was not hungry. It was in late August. The coast guard said it was a 14' great white. They let me know if it attacked they would shot it.

islandsox
October 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Are you kidding me? George was "drafting" off that shark! And I wonder who was DQ'd!

donna

Lisa777
October 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I really don't know about how frequent sharks are off the beaches in Florida. I went to a swim camp there that made us do some ocean swims a few times. Once I think we swam 5 miles parallel to the shore. (I am not sure if that is the exact distance since it was about 25 years ago!) We always swam parallel and quite close to the shore. I would have my swimming buddy swim next to me, further out. :lmao: I did not ever see a shark in the two summers we spent at that camp. We did hear that one time the summer before a shark was spotted off the waters at that beach. I did see some other things--maybe sting rays or ? I don't remember now. It made me a bit nervous to do but I also liked it.

Anyway, hope you have fun. I don't *think* sharks are always around in the Florida waters. I really don't know, though. Best wishes!

Swimmer1999
October 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Don't kid yourself. The sharks are *always* there. It's just that it's rare for them to bite a person, and usually it's only by accident. And like I always tell my swimmers, generally speaking the sharks in Florida are on the small side, so getting bit is one thing, having something bit off is another and very unlikely.

My $.02

:)

DeletedAccount
February 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Yes, of course the sharks are always there. Think of it like this, your odds of being bitten in shark accident are about the same odds as winning the jackpot in your local lottery. Approximately 1 in 14 000 000.

Here is an excellent site with all the info and stats on all recorded shark attacks, the International Shark Attack File: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/ISAF/ISAF.htm

Ron Lockman
March 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
This morning I swam to the B bouy ( out a half mile ) from the La Jolla Cove near San Diego, and had at least three sea lions join me. The swells were large, and you couldn`t see the bouy or the shore unless you were on a swell . I stopped to get my bearings and saw their heads pop-up. My wife sits on a bench above the Cove and has a great vantage point and watches me with binos,..she said that for a while they were within 6 feet of me,...I never saw them while under way,..it any rate it was exciting!! 58 degree water,..I went "naked".:groovy:

Ripple
March 16th, 2008, 01:17 AM
...I never saw them while under way,..it any rate it was exciting!! 58 degree water,..I went "naked".:groovy:

That's probably just as well. I've always wondered if a human in a shiny black wetsuit looks just like a tasty seal to ocean-going carnivores such as killer whales.

DeletedAccount
March 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM
That would be a fun swim, I couldn't handle 58 degree water though...

I highly recommend the book THE DEVIL'S TEETH by Susan Casey (2005). It is about her encounters with the Great White Sharks around the Farallon Islands off San Francisco. A must-read for shark fans.

See what was underneath you - Buoy B, La Jolla, California: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm2ItdKnNCc

Leonard Jansen
March 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
That would be a fun swim, I couldn't handle 58 degree water though...

I highly recommend the book THE DEVIL'S TEETH by Susan Casey (2005). It is about her encounters with the Great White Sharks around the Farallon Islands off San Francisco. A must-read for shark fans.

It was a good book. It is on the remainders table now and I saw it in hardback at a local Dollar Tree store for $1 - a bargain at twice the price. The end of the book was a bit odd, however... but leave it at that so as not to "spoil" the ending.

-LBJ

DeletedAccount
April 12th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, THE DEVIL'S TEETH did have an odd ending. Although a great account into the GWS's off the Farallon Islands. I enjoyed it. I am now (re)-reading BLUE MERIDIAN: The Hunt for the Great White Shark. (I ordered the DVD documentary BLUE WATER, WHITE DEATH they were filming in that book from Amazon - can't wait to see it!

On a related, more current and important note, SHARKWATER finally came out on DVD this past week. This documentary film is a must-see for all shark enthusiasts. It premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2006 and has since won dozens of film festival awards. Toronto native Rob Stewart and SHARKWATER may be the best thing to happen to sharks yet, counteracting Benchley's novel and Spielberg's film, changing the public's awareness, and spearheading the conservation of this threatened animal. We need to stop this barbaric practice of finning sharks. A fantastic achievement in the growing global movement to protect sharks. And ultimately, to save ourselves...

I was absolutely unable to attend the DVD Release party in TO on April 10th but my brother went out to support the cause for me. He got to meet the director Rob Stewart, here's a photo of them together: http://www.outpost31.com/todd/images/board/sharkwaterblairrob.jpg

I hope all open water swimmers here can check out this film, here's a couple links for info:

http://www.sharkwater.com (http://www.sharkwater.com/)
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856008/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856008/)

geochuck
April 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Not a Shark but have you seen an Orca. They are always around Vancouver Island where I have swum on occassion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q0YdRQTX3s

Leonard Jansen
April 17th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, THE DEVIL'S TEETH did have an odd ending. Although a great account into the GWS's off the Farallon Islands.

Speaking of which... There is a new user on this board that goes by the handle "SdogV" - this is actually Ted Erikson, one of only 2 people who ever made the swim from the Farallons to the mainland.

After reading "The Devil's Teeth" I wouldn't go there in anything smaller than an aircraft carrier. Swimming it is unthinkable.

-LBJ

geochuck
April 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Ted Erickson a great swimmer for sure, we have raced against each other in a few races.

Speaking of which... There is a new user on this board that goes by the handle "SdogV" - this is actually Ted Erikson, one of only 2 people who ever made the swim from the Farallons to the mainland.

After reading "The Devil's Teeth" I wouldn't go there in anything smaller than an aircraft carrier. Swimming it is unthinkable.

-LBJ

smontanaro
April 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM
I just watched Sharkwater. It's depressing what we are doing to our planet.

Skip

Ron Lockman
April 25th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I just heard that a San Diego swimmer was killed by a shark this morning.

geochuck
April 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Here is the newspaper report http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/25/america/NA-GEN-US-Shark-Attack.php

DeletedAccount
April 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
http://swimatyourownrisk.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/picture-2.png

Here's a photo. Likely a white shark... I'm sure we'll hear more about this one.

geochuck
April 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Here is the TV report http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=244777

DeletedAccount
April 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the video link. They interviewed George H. Burgess,
Director of the Florida Program for Shark Research and International Shark Attack File Web Editor.

http://www.jawsmovie.com/jawsfest/i/Beach_Closed.jpg

T

Ron Lockman
April 25th, 2008, 08:57 PM
He was wearing a wet-suit! I hear that @ Seaworld,..the trainers wear wetsuits that are black and white,.mimiking a killer whale.

DeletedAccount
April 30th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Another fatal shark attack, 2nd fatal attack in 4 days... Plus, 3 bites in 3 days at New Smyrna Beach, FL: Sat. 26th, Sun. 27th and Mon. 28th. That's 5 consective days with attacks, 2 fatal.

IXTAPA, Mexico (KGO) -- On Tuesday night, friends of a San Francisco man who took a surfing trip to Mexico, got the tragic news that he is the victim of a shark attack. Mexican authorities say it happened off the Southern Pacific Coast at Troncones Beach near the resort town of Ixtapa. The attack happened about 300 yards from shore.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local&id=6112027

TRIVIA: Interesting for movie fans that this attack on Troncones Beach took place very close to Zihuatanejo, the Mexican paradise where Andy and Red go in the end of THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

Ron Lockman
April 30th, 2008, 11:19 PM
We swim in their living room,...not too much of a surprise when one of us is dealt with. It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase,.." The fish are bitting".

DeletedAccount
May 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
We swim in their living room,...not too much of a surprise when one of us is dealt with.

Very true. When we enter the ocean we also immediately enter the food chain.

Here's a Mexican newspaper photo of that surfers leg, no wonder he died. I don't think they'd run photos like that in our newspapers...

Photo shows the large shark attack wound to surfer Adrian Ruiz's leg
WARNING: Graphic Photo: http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=43106725810

I just checked the ISAF, for anyone doing the Bonaire Eco Swim there has only been 2 recorded shark attacks (non-fatal) in the Netherland Antilles since the year 1749. I think we are safe. :-)

geochuck
May 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Will I swim in the Ocean again. Safe beaches, are they safe???

I leave for Mexico again in a few days and should we just confine our swimming to the pools?

The safe beach were I swim in Melaque last year, a child was taken by a Crocodile that had escaped from a lagoon during flooding.
I have run into a 14 ft crocodile while swimming in the Ocean at another safe beach, Boca De Iquana.

I think I will stick to the pool.

Are my fears coming back to me like I had after seeing the movie JAWS?

FindingMyInnerFish
May 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Will I swim in the Ocean again. Safe beaches, are they safe???

I leave for Mexico again in a few days and should we just confine our swimming to the pools?

The safe beach were I swim in Melaque last year, a child was taken by a Crocodile that had escaped from a lagoon during flooding.
I have run into a 14 ft crocodile while swimming in the Ocean at another safe beach, Boca De Iquana.

I think I will stick to the pool.

Are my fears coming back to me like I had after seeing the movie JAWS?

When I told friends I was doing an open water ocean swim on the NJ coast, they regaled me with stories of shark attacks. Great way to build confidence. But then again, I can go running and risk being hit by a car, attacked by a dog, or mugged, and yet I still run... taking reasonable precautions, of course. Life is full of risk, and we don't leave alive, although I have to admit the shark stories get me nervous b/c the idea of being sushi for a fish isn't my idea of living large.

There's something primordial in the fear of being eaten by an animal that I think gives me the shivers in ways that the possibility of, say, the Fairmount Park rapist (in Philly) jumping me--scary as that is--doesn't even touch.

laineybug
May 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Having grown up on a barrier island, one of my favorite things was to swim in the surf at night. Dangerous? Probably, but there is just nothing like it and I always indulge when I get the chance. A little skinny dipping in a pretty pond at night is just about as good. I always thought I wanted to become certified in night diving (scuba).

HOWEVER! A couple of weeks ago I was at a function that took place in an aquarium after closing hours (8pm to midnight). The group had the entire building/exhibits to ourselves, which was really cool. One of the exhibits is a spring fed pond with a huge floor to ceiling, wall to wall window. Your vantage point at this exhibit is well below the surface of the water. Well, because this exhibit is really outside and a natural pond, it was not lit in any way except the moon light. The room in which you stand to observe this exhibit is very dimly lit also. As I was standing, in the dark, in front of this exhibit, bass, garr, etc would come out of the darkness every now and then and swim past the window. But then, this gigantic fish, that was at least 6 feet long was suddendly in front of me. I never saw it coming up to the glass. It totally creeped me out :bolt:

That did it! I don't think I will ever go back in unclorinated water at night again. And that certainly cured me of wanting to scuba dive at night.

I still haven't gotten over that creeped out sensation.
:bolt:Lainey

Ron Lockman
May 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I swam out to the B bouy from La Jolla Cove this afternoon,...several miles south of Solano Beach where the shark attack occurred. It was exhilerating,...63 degree water,...lots of chop,..large swells,...sea lions popping their heads up and a bunch of dolphins cruised in towards La Jolla Shores,......calico bass daring thru the kelp and an eclectic mixture of music on my finis swimp3 player. I wear a red "rash-guard" (because the kelp rubs my arm-pits raw) and bark blue knee length speedos,..my wife says I look like a rapalla fishing lure. The odds of getting killed by a shark or anyother sea creature is small,....the benefits of swimming in the Ocean out-weigh the danger.

I swim everyother day in a pool,,,,I hate it,..turn around,,,swim,,,turn around,...80 degree water( yuck!) and chlorine,...not to mention swimming thru the flakes of dis-integrating diapers for the old folks who just got done doing water arobics. ( well,..I am being a bit hyperbolic).

OK,..I finished,...and I feel better.:violin:

DeletedAccount
May 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Ron,

I'm envious, I wish I lived closer to the ocean...one day. I would join you for that swim out to B buoy, however I would certainly be a lot more on edge than say an OW swim in the Caribbean. There's only a few places on Earth that is "Great White territory" and you are swimming in one of them. But, the odds are in your favor, the risk is small. Still, that's a Helluva spot to go out for a long open ocean swim.....

flivver
May 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I swam in the 2m Newport Pier to Pier in 2004. Before the event in 62 degree water, we gathered at Balboa Pier only to learn that a shark had been sighted the night before off the pier. The Lifeguard in charge announced that it was up to us (there were about 200 of us) whether he would go ahead with the event. Just then, a 75 year old-woman swimmer yelled, "Bring him on!" at which point all the young college guys looked at each other and said, "man, if she's going, we're going. And the race was on. I have never enjoyed any competition more in my life...It was an hour's worth of total exhilaration I will remember always...What a blast for a 47yr old who is now 51 and wants to do the Alcatraz Shark Swim...Has anyone done it and do you have any advice to a daily lap swimmer at George Mason University in Virginia. RKW
:fish2:

Ron Lockman
May 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I`ve done Alcatraz one time,..in a wetsuit. June 28 I do it again,..."naked". It was fun,..easier than I thought. I followed the crowd on my first swim, next month I`m looking to get towards the front.

If you practice only in a swimming pool,.practice swimming with your eyes closed and learn to swim straight,...wear the largest goggles you can find,..I wear a snorkeling mask,...great visibility.,..learn to, as Gary calls it have "alligator eyes",...scanning for landmarks without raising your head too much out of the water.

Most important,...learn to relax!

DeletedAccount
May 15th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Man dies after shark attack
15 MAY 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Fijian man died after he was bitten by a shark whilst on a diving expedition.

The 28-year-old man, Aisake Sadole, was part of a group of four who went night diving in Ba yesterday evening.

According to police reports, the group realized one of their members was missing after he failed to surface.

They dived again and found his body at the bottom of the sea.

Sadole was rushed to the Lautoka Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.

The shark bit his arm and the man died as a result of excessive blood loss.

http://www.fijilive.com/news_new/index.php/news/show_news/4869

Keokiswim23
May 18th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I live in Hawai`i and yes, shark attacks can happen. However, the odds of it are slim and you're probably more like to be in a car accident. We've had some here and I'm aware that it can happen. I try to stay away where they are generally spotted and hope that they actually tell you if one has been spotted. I've heard of times when they don't.

cdrcld
May 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I live in Hawai`i and yes, shark attacks can happen. However, the odds of it are slim and you're probably more like to be in a car accident. We've had some here and I'm aware that it can happen. I try to stay away where they are generally spotted and hope that they actually tell you if one has been spotted. I've heard of times when they don't.

Billy Watkins got eaten by a shark over where you live (at the break on the Lanikai side of Flat Island).

mikedilv
September 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
The discovery channel website says you are more likely to die from a fall down the stairs, from a sting of a hornet, wasp, or bee, from a lightening strike, from drowning in your bathtub, from an adverse reaction to antibiotics, from a falling object, from an agricultural machine, or a motor vehicle accident than you are to being attacked by a shark. What they don't tell you is why. I will answer that for you. The answer is, the shark is waiting for me. :)

Thrashing Slug
September 15th, 2008, 11:32 PM
some interesting shark footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpKp73kJtI

Animal
September 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I was in England getting ready to do my English Channel attempt. While waiting on my day to swim, I met the oldest swimmer to successfully swim the Channel in Dover's harbor. He said he wanted to swim the Catalina Channel, but his wife would not let him due to sharks. I was stunned. I had successful swam it the year before and had worried about sharks, but my thoughts were if it is my time to go, what a way to go. I could just see the headlines -"Swimmer killed by shark as he attempts to swim from Catalina Island to the California Coast". How cool would that be!!

geochuck
September 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
The only thought of headline that scared me was after a party in the UK was that I woke up shivering in a bath tub.

I thought of a headline "Canadian Swimmer Drowns in Bath Tub". It scared me so bad that I almost completely stopped drinking.

3strokes
September 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
The only thought of headline that scared me was after a party in the UK was that I woke up shivering in a bath tub.

I thought of a headline "Canadian Swimmer Drowns in Bath Tub". It scared me so bad that I almost completely stopped drinking.

Wrong (almost) reaction, George. You should have been scared so bad that you'd keep on drinking but stay away from anywhere that had bathtubs.:drink:

Ken Classen
January 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Swimmers flee as sharks come for an afternoon of fishing

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/sharks-shut-four-sydney-beaches/2009/01/04/1231003848115.html

MarieJol
September 16th, 2016, 11:25 AM
The discovery channel website says you are more likely to die from a fall down the stairs, from a sting of a hornet, wasp, or bee, from a lightening strike, from drowning in your bathtub, from an adverse reaction to antibiotics, from a falling object, from an agricultural machine, or a motor vehicle accident than you are to being attacked by a shark. What they don't tell you is why. I will answer that for you. The answer is, the shark is waiting for me. :)

haha:) made my day :banana: