PDA

View Full Version : Phelps at Montreal

geochuck
July 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Phelps did not qualify for the 400 free final.

tjrpatt
July 24th, 2005, 10:37 PM
The sports media will probably tear him apart for the 400 free. He had a bad day and he helped the relay to the gold even though he has had better 100 free time, a 49 something.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM
What is so interesting is that this isn't even a story. Look at how little it has been covered. No one knows that this isn't one of his events. Swimming is in a sad state!

geochuck
July 25th, 2005, 11:15 AM
We get two to three hours coverage every day in Canada. With Star Choice Satellite system I can get 9 hrs a day of coverge on CBC, like repeats, repeats, repeats. Wops thought I was doing a workout.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
But George, herte in the states, it is only a mention. There haven't been any results mentioned on any sports show that I've seen. I wonder how many inthe US even know worlds is happening?

geochuck
July 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
But George, herte in the states, it is only a mention. There haven't been any results mentioned on any sports show that I've seen. I wonder how many inthe US even know worlds is happening? Better move to the best country in the world and get get great coverage or get Star Choice TV, when I go to Mexico it is the only system that gives me TV. I get 180 channels, Canadian and US.

tjrpatt
July 25th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Yeah, it is horrible coverage here. They didn't even talk about it on ESPN. It is sad that every other country gives the sport good coverage expect the US. Well, I am just hoping that Hanson will put that Japanese dude in line tonight. Plus, they are both swimming faster than last year too. What happened to the Hungarian kid in the 200 breast. It is not listed in the heat sheet.

Seagurl51
July 25th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
But George, herte in the states, it is only a mention. There haven't been any results mentioned on any sports show that I've seen. I wonder how many inthe US even know worlds is happening?

I know swimmers who dont' even know it's going on. It's a shame that we cant' even get a blip on ESPN....you know that they can spare 30 seconds. Rather than put up yet another story on baseball, put up some quick highlights...even if you just cover record breaking swims.

EDIT: I dont' understand how they can justify showing a spelling bee for 3 hrs and not give even 30 seconds to WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. It's ridiculous. I vote we send a bunch of angry letters.:mad:

hrietz
July 25th, 2005, 01:42 PM
The coverage on Fox College Sports has been great. Very few commercials and they actually show the races in their entirety. Definitely worth the extra $5/month.

I think that Phelps, as talented as he is, may be spreading himself too thin by attempting the 100-400 free, 100 fly and 200 IM. It's hard to IDEALLY train for all of those events because they are so different. His 100 split (49.17) was close to his best so he maybe he will be more "on" for the 100 and 200. Nonetheless if he had made the final I think that Hackett still would have won...

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 25th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by hrietz
The coverage on Fox College Sports has been great. Very few commercials and they actually show the races in their entirety. Definitely worth the extra $5/month.

I think that Phelps, as talented as he is, may be spreading himself too thin by attempting the 100-400 free, 100 fly and 200 IM. It's hard to IDEALLY train for all of those events because they are so different. His 100 split (49.17) was close to his best so he maybe he will be more "on" for the 100 and 200. Nonetheless if he had made the final I think that Hackett still would have won...

According to my local cable company, less than half of all cable outlets carry Fox College Sports.

They can show the spelling bee becasue they can get sponsors for it. Oh, the children. But also imagine what watching 3 hours of swimming woudl be like if you knew nothing about what was going on. I really think that if the made the qualifying times harder to get to htere would be fewer swimmers completing and the meets would go much faster. Then they would be more easy to sell to sponsors. Should there really be a "c" final in NCAA's?

aquageek
July 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
DirecTV does not carry this channel apparently, I'm bummed.

scyfreestyler
July 25th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
DirecTV does not carry this channel apparently, I'm bummed. Neither does DishNetwork.

geochuck
July 25th, 2005, 07:39 PM
200 Im what a race. If she had done a good turn from back to breaststroke I am sure she would have broke the worlds record.

tjrpatt
July 25th, 2005, 08:03 PM
He looks like he has a shot at the 200 Free seeded first in the Final tomorrow night. Then again, He is the only one who medaled in the 200 free at the olympics that is at Worlds.