PDA

View Full Version : The dangers of diving

cinc3100
July 25th, 2005, 01:43 AM
I think diving is a lot more difficult than swimming. First because of the dangers involved. Second the dives are very difficult too. Also, a diver needs to br a noraml size person rather than tall like many top swimmers. Its easier for a diver to swim than for a swimmer to dive. I remember Greg Lagunas competering against other top sportspeople in a money winning competion. He swam a 24 second 50 yard freestyle while Carl Lewis did a 29 second. Greg could do a flip while Carl and the others couldn't. I also think that US diving is much worst than US swimming. In Athens we even didn't medal. There are less and less kids that go out for the sport in the US and the Chinese and Russians and even now the Canadians have knock us off the podium in most diving competitions.

Bob McAdams
July 25th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by cinc310
I also think that US diving is much worst than US swimming. In Athens we even didn't medal. There are less and less kids that go out for the sport in the US and the Chinese and Russians and even now the Canadians have knock us off the podium in most diving competitions.

U.S. diving certainly isn't aided by the fact that a smaller and smaller percentage of pools in the U.S. have diving boards.

Bob

tuck
July 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
My wife and I have been fighting like mad to get our community to retain at least one diving board, in one of our pools. They took out two when they rebuilt the outdoor pool and are planning not to have one in the proposed indoor facility. And this in a community that has High School swimmers and divers at State year after year. But I know the powers that be aren't thinking competative swimming they're thinking bottom line, saving money on insurance and drawing the the most tax dollars to the community. Unfortunately money talks. At this rate when my kids are in High School there may not be a diving team.

cinc3100
July 25th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Well, this is true but think China a country of a billion has a lot less diving boards per population than the US. The Chinese make the sport important. I remember a friend stating that the x-sports like skate boarding are taking kids away from more tradtional sports like diving. The same type of people that are good at skateboarding could be good at diving. Also, who wants the injuries that could occe. Granted you can get that at skateboarding as well.

nkace
July 25th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Swiming & diving are not as comparable as diving & gymnastics.
One deals w/ water & the other w/ the acrobatic twists & flexibilty. There are many former gymnasts that turn to diving due to injury & such. You don't find many divers swtiching to swimming or vice versa.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 25th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I've rarely know a diver who is normal size. The ones that I know are rather short.

jswim
July 25th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Bob McAdams
U.S. diving certainly isn't aided by the fact that a smaller and smaller percentage of pools in the U.S. have diving boards.

Bob

EXACTLY!!!
The U.S. is so concerned with liability that no one is allowed to go off the boards. Plus, it's MUCH easier to find a swimming program for children than a diving program.
If there were a comparable masters diving program nearby, I would probably be doing that (as well as swimming if I could), but it just seems to barely exist.
Tough sport to find support for here.

aquageek
July 25th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Given the fact that pools traditionally cost more to operate and build than they will ever bring in, I think insurance becomes a convenient scapegoat for why pools have cut back on diving. Insurance is a fixed cost, to be sure, but it isn't the insurance that is driving people away from diving boards, it is the lawsuits that such boards seem to inspire. Insurance is the only thing that keeps boards around. If you can't get insurance you certainly won't have a board.

I contend, however, that it's primarily the cost associated with diving well construction and maintenance. They drive the costs way up, both in building and mainteance costs. Plus, in order to have an adequate diving well, you have to have a pretty darn big pool, not just the 3' low dive at your neighborhood pool.

It takes a hefty financial committment to build a pool. When you add on a good well, you have taken it out of the realm of what most neighborhood and small municipalities can afford.

jswim
July 25th, 2005, 12:56 PM
That's a good point, but I've also seen numerous pools that had already had not only a 1 meter board, but a 3 meter as well, whose boards are already gone, or under threat to be taken away. (Or, the board is still there, but it's chained and boarded up like a condemned building!)