PDA

View Full Version : what is too warm?

butterfly
July 26th, 2005, 12:56 PM
How warm can water be to swim a hard workout in and when does it become a health hazard?

Mary--surviving 105 degrees in NC

dorothyrde
July 27th, 2005, 06:42 AM
I swam the other day with the heat index at 115 and who knows what the water temp was, but it was icky. I had to take it down a notch.

Relief is on the way, cold front went through here last night, and the high will be 75!

Rob Copeland
July 27th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Yesterday, the pool was 94F and the heat index was 110-115. Not conducive to a strenuous workout. And while Im no expert in the field, Id assume there is an elevated health risk by working out in these conditions. However there are steps that can be taken to mitigate these risks. Drink plenty of fluids, take extra rest between sets, decrease the intensity and focus on form, do drills.

swimmieAvsFan
July 27th, 2005, 08:37 AM
last tuesday, our pool was about 88 and the heat index was closing in on about 95-100. we had a pace set (10 x 100 on 1:20), which i did all of. but i ended up getting a migraine after practice. which i can only contribute to the heat (as i've never gotten a migraine from a pace set before). i had been drinking as much gatorade as i could during the set, and the rest of the practice was pretty easy, so it seems that the only sure way to prevent problems in the heat is to adjust the intensity of the entire workout. which this close to nationals is not a good thing, at least for those of us who don't start our taper this far out...
:rolleyes:

F'ueco
July 27th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Anything above 65 is too warm (well, outside the pool anyway). I find that with water temps above 75 I start feeling sluggish, and above 80 I get downright lethargic. It seems that my ideal water temp is somewhere in the mid 60's.

aquageek
July 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by F'ueco
Anything above 65 is too warm (well, outside the pool anyway). I find that with water temps above 75 I start feeling sluggish, and above 80 I get downright lethargic. It seems that my ideal water temp is somewhere in the mid 60's.

Mid 60s is a little on the chilly side, for me anyway.

Leonard Jansen
July 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Of note, too, is that I seem to recall reading that water is least dense (i.e. you are less bouyant) somewhere in the low-90's. So you are probably working a little harder just on that alone.

Mollie - Time to head to Whipple's Dam or Stone Valley and do your workouts there.

-LBJ

Blue Horn
July 27th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Mid 60s is down right cold. It is good after a warm-up, but I would prefer the temp to be in the mid to low 70s.

Hook'em
Blue

F'ueco
July 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Last time I swam in Lake Tahoe (weekend after Memorial Day), the water temperature was in the low 50's. Now that's cold. It took me about an hour to warm back up after my swim.

flipper79
July 27th, 2005, 10:49 AM
One day I became overheated in the pool while working out in water that was too warm. I don't know the exact temperature (warm) I didn't stop soon enough because I was thinking that I was being a wimp when I felt a little sick. At one point I felt dizzy and knew immeditely why I had been feeling sick. I went home and rested. My face was bright red, I felt nauseus, my heart rate was elevated for quite a while as I rested. After that experience I always listen to what my body is telling me.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 27th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
I swam the other day with the heat index at 115 and who knows what the water temp was, but it was icky. I had to take it down a notch.

Relief is on the way, cold front went through here last night, and the high will be 75!

But Dorothy, you are lucky because if you swam at the Y in Champaign, the water is relatively cool. In Galesburg, our Y keeps the water at least at 84 degrees. Monday it was 86 degrees. All the old ladies were saying how wonderful it was as I was about dead. I think the air temp inthe pool was 91!

Sonic Swimmer78
July 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Personally, anything ranging 75 to 80 degrees is ideal when swimming in a pool.

I had a friend who used to swim at the Downtown YMCA, where I live and he told me that it was downright nasty. Icky, cloudy, 90 degree water in the lap pool, or what he and I call the patented BWW (Bath Water Warm) Technology, which is pretty gross, especially if you're swimming in it. ..::Ewww!!!::.. :LOL!: :p

Guvnah
July 27th, 2005, 01:46 PM
On Monday when I got to my YMCA they told us that overnight the heater went haywire and the pool water was 100 degrees. I turned around and went to the downtown YMCA, and the water there was an agreeable 82.5. Monday evening I called my YMCA to see if they got it fixed. They said they did, and the water was already down to 84. I went to my YMCA on Tuesday. it was not fixed. The "advertised" temp was 86, and the heater was still blowing out even hotter water. I did my full workout, but at a reduced pace with more rests, but I guess I did not hold back enough because I left the pool drained and almost dizzy, and I never really recovered all day.

I'm doing the downtown YMCA until they get mine fixed.

dorothyrde
July 27th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
But Dorothy, you are lucky because if you swam at the Y in Champaign, the water is relatively cool. In Galesburg, our Y keeps the water at least at 84 degrees. Monday it was 86 degrees. All the old ladies were saying how wonderful it was as I was about dead. I think the air temp inthe pool was 91!

I went to the Y yesterday and it was comfortable. The day before I was at the outdoor pool in Urbana because I could not swim until 4 and the Y's lap swim does not start until 5. Between kids trying to steal my equipment and the hot water and temps, it was not a good swim.

Today is nice and cool, East coast, it is coming!

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 27th, 2005, 05:59 PM
dorothy,

I really enjoy swimming at Crystal Lake. It is good to be in a 25 meter pool once in awhile. When I'm ther I usually swim from noon to 1:30. The kids aren't there until 1:00. I always find the Y pool to be too cold because I'm so use to very hot here in Galesburg.

dorothyrde
July 27th, 2005, 07:29 PM
No, the Y pool is perfect!! I sometimes run over to Crystal Lake at lunch. Just depends how much time I have, as I am on the West side of Champaign.