PDA

View Full Version : Some swimmers ignored

cinc3100
July 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I noticed that when it comes to the worlds mainly Phelps and Hanson are mention. There are other good swimmers out there. No one here talk about the 17 year old girl Kate Ziegler winning the 1500. There are other good swims in worlds but the group seems to have a narrow focus. One reason I stop writing as much on these boards.

Sam Perry
July 27th, 2005, 10:57 AM
No offense, but I think your take is crazy. I have seen many articles about Kate (heck, she just won last night) as well as many other women in the meet. Jessica Hardy was on the front sports page of USA Today in yesterday's edition.

Truth is the Hanson "revenge factor" and anything Michael Phelps does (he happens to be one of the greatest if not the greatest ever) is bigger news too many people. The fact that he looked human on Suday is a big story. The fact that he broke the American Record twodays later is just as big.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I wsa going to write that I saw the first mention of the worlds this morning. Jessica Hardy was actually on the bottom line. I think this is the first mention on CNN other than the diver banging into the board.

Jeff Commings
July 27th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Cynthia, I think your analysis of worlds talk is premature.

The first day and a half, the talk was all about Phelps and Hansen, true. But I've seen online stories lead with Jessica Hardy's performance and Kate Ziegler's performance. Michael and Brendan's wins were not the most important stories.

Just because people aren't actively talking about them doesn't mean we don't know about them.

Go to the USA Swimming chat rooms and you'll see loads of talk about those two girls.

tjrpatt
July 27th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I think that the whole US media is really weak on Worlds coverage. The papers seemed to be doing a good job except the NYPost. There is not one mention on Sportcenter or ESPNews which is downright ignorant. But, in every other country, it seems to be the top sports today.

h2osmiley
July 27th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Got some coverage on FOXsports.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3828144

aquageek
July 27th, 2005, 01:45 PM
It's one of the lead stories on CBS. Sportsline.com. If you click the Phelps link, the next page has even more news.

Phelps article:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/olympics/story/8680928

Additional news:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/olympics/story/8678686

Jeff Commings
July 27th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Since the University of Arizona has four current or former swimmers in the meet, we have some pretty good newspaper play.

I would imagine Austin, the Bay Area, Southern California and Balitmore are other places to get full swimming coverage.

Phil Arcuni
July 27th, 2005, 03:26 PM
You might think so, but I just went through todays Mercury (the San Jose paper) and not one mention.

tjrpatt
July 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM
There wasn't much coverage from the local Philly stations since Brendan Hansen is from Philly. The news director took a whole day to say that Hansen won the 100 breast. He could reported it on the 11 pm news the night Hansen won. Maybe they will do that the night he wins the 200 breast.

tjrpatt
July 27th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Foxsports is great. They have a pic and link to Worlds on the homepage but ESPN has no mention of Worlds on the homepage.

PeirsolFan
July 27th, 2005, 09:49 PM
The key word was "here." We don't talk about it here? A forum takes the shape of whatever people build it to be. :)

There are a lot of top notch swimmers in the world but the "media darling" factor and "I've got an endorsment deal so you're going to see and hear about me a lot" come into play.

cinc3100
July 27th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I'm talking about the people on this board. Most of you just wrote about why why it wasn't on TV and had more indepth on Hanson and Phelps. The media is a lot different.

cinc3100
July 27th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Well, you know me I get a little too frank on my feelings and everyone has different interest. I'm a slow middle age woman who does this mainly for exercise and attended a few meets for the first two years that I join masters. I've had back problems lately, so mainly that why I came over a little strong. I know some people in the past probably thought I was a little overboard on my comments, and that's the truth, some of them were overboard. And I apologize for some of my hard remarks around here.

Peter Cruise
July 27th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Cynthia- you do fine-keep up posting & swimming!