PDA

View Full Version : Goggles/Cold Water

F'ueco
July 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Has anyone found a better way to de-fog goggles in cold water than spitting in your goggles and rinsing them? This sort of works for me, but doesn't last very long (about 10-15 minutes) before the goggles get too fogged to see through again. There has to be a more permanent solution, right?

sdswimmer
July 27th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I find cleaning them with baby shampoo keeps them clear for a few days. SOme folks put a few drops in and leave it there but I got it in my eyes that way.

swimlong
July 28th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I swear by ultra-swim shampoo. Put a small drop in each lens, rub it around, then rinse it out. Voila - fog free for an hour to hour and a half.

F'ueco
July 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Maybe I'll try that. If it doesn't work for the race on Saturday, I'll try something else on Sunday...

F'ueco
August 20th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I think I actually discovered a solution to the problem. Apparently, I wasn't spitting enough into the goggles. Last weekend, I tried with more volume, and I was fog-free for the entire 3/4 mile in 58 degree water.

After spitting into the goggles, make sure you rub the entire inside of the eyecups, and then dunk them in the water you will be swimming in. This doesn't seem to work in the pool. Perhaps the water isn't cold enough for this to work?

Damage Inc
August 23rd, 2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah, a good dose of slobber has always worked for me.
Good luck in your race this weekend.