PDA

View Full Version : Fly first, middle, or last?

pmbchill
July 28th, 2005, 05:46 PM
If it was legal to swim the four strokes of the IM in any order, your choice as long as you completed all four, what order would you choose? Would your choice be different depending on the distance of the IM?

hmlee
July 28th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I think I'd make it a middle stroke. The simple reason for that is that the first stroke in an IM is one that I have to be good at because I (assuming it's in competition) have some shakiness after the start and haven't gotten into a good rhythm yet. I need to sort of get into the groove of swimming before attempting a stroke that isn't my strongest. If it was the first stroke I'd probably blow all of my energy with worse technique and a distracted mind, and if it was the last stroke I'm worried that I wouldn't have the energy to get through it all - making me more likely to drown, hah.

F'ueco
July 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Most likely fly, as it has always been my fastest stroke (at least for a 50). Even for a 100, fly would still come first.

Can I just skip breast and do two legs of fly?;)

Donna
July 28th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I would have to say fly first that would be the only way I could get my arms out of the water for it. The IM is in just the perfect order for me just as it is.

Michael Heather
July 29th, 2005, 01:42 AM
I don't care where the fly is as long as Breaststroke is first. That would even out the field a little bit. I for one am tired of seeing the breaststrokers swim by me in the third leg.

battle
July 29th, 2005, 07:13 AM
I agree with Micheal. I am tired of breaststokers swimming by. I would put breast first.

aquageek
July 29th, 2005, 08:50 AM
I prefer to have breast where it is so I get to enjoy two laps (100) or 4 laps (200) of relative competitiveness before I get passed in the breast lap(s).

Jeff Commings
July 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Hmmm. As one of the breaststrokers so quickly despised in this thread, I must say that I enjoy having the IM order the way it is.

I like getting fly out of the way. While I never use any stroke for recovery, backstroke is a good stroke to prepare for the breastroke. And freestyle is a good final stroke, though it's really my worst stroke in the IM.

And if breaststroke were first, all of the breaststrokers would definitely win the race! We'd have all the energy necessary to blast ahead the first quarter, then hang on the rest of the race. I could go about six seconds faster leading off with breast than I could if my breast leg were third. Then my fly would still be fairly fast (though ugly) and I'd win the race.

Maybe there should be a meet where people get to pick their order. I'd be interested to see how I'd swim if the IM were breast, back, fly, free. I bet I'd be faster by a couple of seconds.