PDA

View Full Version : Boston- Friendly Walden or other Swimmers?

tribecca
July 28th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Any friendly people out there who swim over at Walden - not early a.m.- and might want to meet up?

Last year I was swimming 40 min across-and-back Walden
(1 mi?) but haven't been swimming much yet this summer.

sdswimmer
August 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM
So no one swims in Boston or no one is friendly? Are there any USMS clubs swimming open water out there?

brains07666
August 16th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I'm not often in that area so I don't swim there. I had heard, however, that they were no longer allowing distance swimming at Walden. So, what's the latest/current story there?

Frank Thompson
August 16th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Is this the same Walden Pond that Henry David Thoreau, the writer, naturalist, and philosopher wrote about long ago? If it is, how long is the pond if your swimming? Can you see Thoreau's cabin from the pond? Why have they stopped the swimming?

tribecca
August 16th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Answers:
1) You CAN swim across the pond = aprox 1 mile round trip, many people do that, or swim the perimeter, etc. (quite a bit further I think). OPen until 8pm, closing a bit earlier as days shorten...

SO who's coming swimming?

2) YES, This is indeed the same pond that Thoreau wrote about. It's not that far from Boston, and it's now a state park. They even have a replica of his cabin (which burned down) if you're into that sort of thing. The pond is really pretty.

BTW, yes, it used to be that you could go when you wanted and do what you wanted.. as a college student we went skinny-dipping at midnight there now and then; now it falls under the state and the gates are locked at day's end but they do let us swim!! if you want a guard you have to stay in the little roped-off area w/ the tots.

Here's the state's website for walden http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/northeast/wldn.htm

brains07666
August 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Well, the next time I'm in the area I'll consider swimming there. I thought I had heard through the grapevine that the little roped off "tots" swimming area was not an "option" but "mandatory" and that they would not let one swim outside that area. But if they do, then I'll probably be back at some point. (We passed by the area about 2 weeks ago en route from NH to NJ) Incidentally, we much liked swimming in Flax Pond in Cape Cod, not too far afield from you.

FindingMyInnerFish
August 17th, 2005, 10:50 PM
You guys are lucky to have something that close to Boston for open water swimming. I live in the Philly area, and more travel is required to get to lakes/bays/ocean. (Altho the Philadelphia Triathlon involved a swim in the Schuykill River, this is normally not allowed).

Any Philly area ppl here w/ suggestions? I'm pretty much a newbie to this aspect of swimming. Of course, I could go to the Friday noon swim at my local Y when the pool is divided btw lap swimming and kids--and you use sighting skills to avoid flying pool toys. ;)

Guvnah
August 18th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by FindingMyInnerFish

Any Philly area ppl here w/ suggestions? I'm pretty much a newbie to this aspect of swimming. Of course, I could go to the Friday noon swim at my local Y when the pool is divided btw lap swimming and kids--and you use sighting skills to avoid flying pool toys. ;)

Can't you just hop into the Deleware River? I thought they have made some strides in getting it cleaned up a bit that far south. (I can recall as a boy scout doing some great canoe trips on the northern part -- Del Water Gap area and above -- and it was almost crystal clear. But anything past mid-Jersey was a health risk... That was 30+ years ago...) You have some pretty good flow in the river by Philly. You could get in a good current, swim upstream and almost stay stationary.

brains07666
August 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Actually, I'm not from Boston but I do occasionally pass by there. MA, NH, and VT all seem to have several nice (distance) swimming lakes and rivers.

I am now living in northern NJ which (in my area at least) lacks decent open-water areas. I'm not familiar with Philly but I would have thought that there might be some ocean beaches.

I also thought about the Delaware River but the section near Philly still looks awfully dirty. I do swim in other sections of the Delaware further upstream. I know the area near Lambertsville, Bull Island is OK (and popular) for swimming but not 100% legal.
There is some access at Washington's Crossing but the last time I was there, the current was too strong for me to maintain position so one could not really have much of a long swim there.

Yesterday evening I did swim at the Delaware Water Gap area. The water was still quite clear but with the lack of rain, the level was quite low and the current was barely noticeable. In that area, the main consideration seems to be not getting run over by a motorboat.

You might look at http://www.swimmingholes.org for areas near Philly. The website is not geared towards open-water lakes but you might get some hints or find other websites.

Happy H20 to all

Walden2007
December 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Any friendly people out there who swim over at Walden - not early a.m.- and might want to meet up?

Last year I was swimming 40 min across-and-back Walden
(1 mi?) but haven't been swimming much yet this summer.

Hi. Boston is very friendly.
I swim at Walden all year round. The water was 49 F yesterday. A perfect warm day. If you any swimmers say hello and they will introduce you to the other regular swimmers.
We have pot luck suppers and often share tea and snacks.
Any one can swim at Walden. It is easier in the Fall, Winter and Spring. In the summer it is crowded during the week ends.
A year round parking pass cost $35.
The park is open during daylight. Great for walking and looking at nature.
Please visit

m2tall2
December 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
The water was 49 F yesterday. A perfect warm day.

And THAT is why many (but not all) people from the Boston area think open water swimmers are crazy. There are Tons of lakes, ponds, rivers, and ocean-front in Massachusetts which ignorant of temperature are good for swimming. Some ponds and lakes actually get warm enough for me to consider swimming in during the summer. I have found the difference of a couple hours travel to Rhode Island or Connecticut makes for much friendlier temperatures. Even New Hampshire and Maine tend to have warmer water in the summer despite the cooler temperatures. There's just something about Massachusetts water. It's COLD.

Otherwise, we're plenty friendly. The majority just swim indoors. :coffee:

Triken
December 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
For a really great after-work summer day...
1. Park 15 miles away from Walden. (Charles River Canoe/Kayak Newon, MA is a good starting point)
2. Use a bungee cord to strap your towel and goggles to your handlebars. Bike to Walden.
3. Swim around until your mind relaxes, you forget work, and you cool off.
4. Bike back to your car.
This way you don't have to worry about the parking lot being full.