PDA

View Full Version : Sunfest?

Swimmy
July 29th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Anyone know the details for the Sunfest race in Ocean City, MD in September? I could not find the website online.
Thanks.
Swimmy :)

DianaC
July 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hi Swimmy! Funny you should mention Sunfest. I had the same problems yesterday. I even tried to call the phone number listed for a contact there, and it was disconnected. I have sent a couple of messages to people in the know (kinda). I don't know what's going on with it, but I will let you know when I hear. I hope they are still going to do it. I am really looking forward to it, and it was a lot of fun last year.

Leonard Jansen
July 29th, 2005, 02:35 PM
You might try the main # for the Sunfest and ask them:
1-800-OC-OCEAN

I did a reverse lookup of the contact # and it seems to be unassigned.

-LBJ

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 30th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Do you mean the kite festival? I didn't know irt ever had a swim!

Swimmy
July 30th, 2005, 04:10 PM
There was a swim last year. Maybe there is not one this year.
:(

DianaC
August 1st, 2005, 12:53 PM
Hi Swimmy! I just heard that they are going to do Sunfest this year on Sept 24. They are waiting for their USA Swimming sanction, before they post the registration forms. Yay! Maybe we can meet there - it won't be as crazy as the Bay Swim.
Diana

Edward The Head
August 1st, 2005, 01:52 PM
I did sunfest last year and it was a lot of fun. My first real open water event. I did the 5k, which was the longest I'd ever done. I'm hoping to go ahead and try again this year.

Swimmy
August 1st, 2005, 02:56 PM
We have to get together sometime. I was down in College Park the other day and I thought about you. We should do lunch someday. Glad you found out about the Sunfest. I thought I was crazy not being able to find info.
Allyson :)

DianaC
August 2nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
Hi Swimmy! Yes, we must meet up soon, at least at Sunfest. I work in DC, so I am not usually available for lunch in the burbs. Maybe you could come to one of our Masters workouts, just to try it. They have a trial pass for three visits, and I could arrange for you to get one of them. You could come to a Saturday morning workout (8am), and we could go to breakfast after. How would that sound? Or we could just meet up after practice one Sat. Let's discuss options, but I am not sure how to get you my e-mail - I don't want to post it on this open forum. We will figure something out, though.
Diana

Swimmy
August 3rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Send me a private message, so you don't have to share the email address. I would love to try it out sometime. Definitely breakfast any Saturday.
Swimmy :)

Swimmy
August 16th, 2005, 06:02 AM
I found the website for Sunfest. It has been cancelled for this year!
Swimmy :(

DianaC
August 16th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Swimmy - What a bummer! They must have just posted that message - it wasn't there yesterday. I can't believe this!

I need to do an ocean swim in September, to prepare for my 10K Bonaire Ecoswim in November. Now I don't know what I will do. Any suggestions out there?

Leonard Jansen
August 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Diana -

You might consider the Pageant Swim on 3 September in Atlantic City. It's only about 1.5 miles, but it is a fun race and they always go the same way regardless of the current's direction, so you never know what you will be up against. It takes a bit of navigation skill, because the waves often obscure the bouys and there is a point where you are a good distance off the shore due to the land falling away slightly, so that's fun, too.

Other than that, the backend of the season here is a bit skimpy with races this year.

-LBJ