PDA

View Full Version : Mark Warneke - World Champion at 35!

jonblank
July 29th, 2005, 08:28 AM
The oldest man ever to win a World Swimming Championship - Mark Warneke! What an amazing polymath - he's not only the world's best 50 meter breaststroker at age 35, but he's also a professional race car driver and a physician!

Imagine if Jeff Gordon or Michael Schumacher also happened to have PhDs and were high-level athletes in an Olympic sport - this would be front-page news anywhere. Instead, it's relegated to a one-sentence afterthought in the few news services that picked up on this fantastic achievement.

Jeff Commings
July 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I raced Mark twice in the early 90s. I would guess he was just 20 then, and not that fast (compared to now, because I don't remember him going under 28 in the 50 breast). In fact, he wasn't on the World Championship team in 1991, which is why he was at the 1990 US Open instead of preparing for Worlds the next month.

Glad to see he's getting faster.

tjrpatt
July 29th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Is that British still swimming. He was in his early 30s when he won his world title. It just goes to show you that sometimes people can peak later in life.

cinc3100
July 29th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Well, that is real good to be able to win at 35 years old in this sport at worlds. I think not only him but the 100's and 200's were interesting with Hanson on the men side and Leisel Jones the Aussie breaststoker finally winning two titles at Worlds and setting a worlds record. Breaststroke has been pretty good at this worlds.

Matthias
July 30th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by tjrpatt
Is that British still swimming.

Well actually he's a german ;)
But nevertheless it is interesting to see how "little" he trains and how much he achieves in contrast to some masters champions who really invest much more training.
Other swimmers also seem to benefit from having less training. Anne Poleska set PB's every swim from heats to finals and again she had less training than when she won bronze at Olympics.

tjrpatt
July 30th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Matthias
Well actually he's a german ;)
But nevertheless it is interesting to see how "little" he trains and how much he achieves in contrast to some masters champions who really invest much more training.
Other swimmers also seem to benefit from having less training. Anne Poleska set PB's every swim from heats to finals and again she had less training than when she won bronze at Olympics.

There is this one guy from Britain who is like 32 or 33. He won a few world titles at the Short Course Champs last year in Indianapolis. I think that his name is MarK Foster or something.

Matthias
July 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM
oh sorry, seems like I misunderstood your post a bit.