PDA

View Full Version : Flip Turns question

julesmom
July 30th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

When do you start your flip? and how do you go into it if doing backstroke? I am doing mine and find I run out of breath very quickly and go maybe a bit too deep and just gotta get out for a breath- any hints?

scyfreestyler
July 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Can't help you on backstroke but I think a rule of thumb is to begin your turn about an arms length from the wall. Are your feet contacting the wall with your knees bent or are your legs straight when your feet make contact? If you are pushing yourself towards the bottom of the pool then maybe you are pushing off before your turn is actually complete. Your legs need to be level with your artificial horizon or you will propel yourself to the surface too quickly or to the bottom and drown yourself. I am not too sure how I do my turns because they just happen. I can control the speed but the rest is now on auto-pilot.

Rowdy
July 30th, 2005, 07:48 PM
For backstroke turns I usually take three strokes once I hit the flags then cross my arm over my body on what would be my fourth stroke; putting me on my tummy. Just a normal turn after that. Keep in mind that stoke counts are different for every one.

Bob McAdams
July 30th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Rowdy
For backstroke turns I usually take three strokes once I hit the flags then cross my arm over my body on what would be my fourth stroke; putting me on my tummy. Just a normal turn after that. Keep in mind that stoke counts are different for every one.

I've found that the flags look different in different pools, so if I want to be successful doing backstroke in a meet, I need to practice some turns in the pool where the competition is going to take place. Sometimes, it's not so much that my timing is wrong as it is that I need to be confident my timing is right.

Bob

PeirsolFan
July 31st, 2005, 07:47 AM
Jules -

Backstroke turn can be tough but it gets much easier once you get your breathing rythym during stroke cycle. Watch videos and have someone who knows back to show you.

Basically, take a breath, turn over, flip, dolphin kick your way up, and go right back into your breathing cycle. Practice dry land breathing exercises and be sure once you come off the wall into a dolphin kick that you're up before the 15 meter mark. ;)

mattson
July 31st, 2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 330man
Can't help you on backstroke but I think a rule of thumb is to begin your turn about an arms length from the wall.

Do you mean within touching distance to the wall? That sounds way too close. Besides your legs being longer than your arms, you have your momentum going towards the wall. There will be some drift while you are executing the turn. (If you meant an arms-length from being able to touch the wall, that does seem reasonable.)

Originally posted by julesmom
I am doing mine and find I run out of breath very quickly and go maybe a bit too deep and just gotta get out for a breath- any hints?

Practice how little air you need to breathe out to keep water from getting in your noise (when face up, underwater).

In high school, the coaches had us practicing flips in the middle of the pool. There was a tendency to not drive the hips all the way through. (You don't want to stop your flip just after your legs break the surface of water, as you will be angled down.) If you are not rotating far enough, you may want to practice doing a full flip (start and end the summersault face down).