PDA

View Full Version : Bad math

Karen Duggan
July 30th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I'm hoping my math is as bad here as it usually is...

I probably should have posted this on the Nationals board, but I think more people look here first, anyway...

Is it true that the 800s will take about 5 hours at Nationals? I did some calculatin' (hopefully wrong), but that's what I came up with. Mark Gill, or someone in the know, will there be a timeline posted anytime soon?

My only reason for asking: I'm bringing my 5 year old son and if I'll be swimming after lunch, I want him to be able to do stuff in the morning (swim in the hotel pool, play Power Rangers, etc.)

knelson
July 31st, 2005, 01:11 PM
On a similar note, I haven't really seen whether the 1500 will be swum two to a lane. I know this was a possiblity according to the meet info. So what's the scoop?

I did a quick check and determined my heat wouldn't go off until at least 5:00 p.m. (assuming one to a lane) due to men and women being combined. I'm holding onto a slim hope that I might be able to swim, but it doesn't look good. My flight home leaves out of San Diego at 5:00 p.m. on Monday :( I had no idea 200+ people would enter the 1500. what a bunch of masochists! :)

mbmg3282
July 31st, 2005, 05:54 PM
We expect the 800 free to last from 8:00 AM until 1:45 PM. The 1500 should last from 8:00 AM until 6:55 PM. There are no plans to swim either event 2 per lane.

This meet is unique in two ways. First, the meet host decided to run the meet over 5 days. This would allow for more participants and the meet days not run too long. Second, we allowed distance swimmer who met both NQT's to swim both distance events. Typically, you are limited to either the 800 or the 1500. These two factors have allow for increased numbers to participate in the distance races.

knelson
July 31st, 2005, 11:00 PM
OK, I kinda figured that was the case. Looks like I won't be swimming the 1500. Thanks for the info Mark.

hmlee
July 31st, 2005, 11:24 PM
Yikes, somehow I have difficulty imagining swimming any event in a meet two per lane! I guess it shouldn't be that weird considering workouts are swum with as many as 6 or so people per lane, but I guess I'm just selfish when it comes to meets, heh.

knelson
August 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by hmlee
Yikes, somehow I have difficulty imagining swimming any event in a meet two per lane! I guess it shouldn't be that weird considering workouts are swum with as many as 6 or so people per lane, but I guess I'm just selfish when it comes to meets, heh.

I remember doing this in age group a couple times. It's really not that bad. The two people start from opposite ends of the pool and keep to their own side. Although starting together and duking it out for the lead might make for an interesting race ;)

mattson
August 1st, 2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by knelson
Although starting together and duking it out for the lead might make for an interesting race ;)

Yeah, but make sure you aren't duking it out with George Park! :D (I'm thinking about the stories he mentions about previous open water swims...)

mbmg3282
August 1st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Fortunately, this meet will not require us to swim 2 per lane. If the distance days were too long, swimming 2 per lane is the last resort we have to limit the length of the day. The order of preferences goes as follows:

1) swim the 400, 800 and 1500 seeded by time, genders swim separately.

2) swim the 400, 800 and 1500 seeded by time and gender.

3) swim the 400, 800 and 1500 seeded by time, 2 per lane, genders swim separately.

Beyond this, there is not much we can do to control the length of the day after the meet announcement has gone out. Prior to registration opening, we can adjust the NQT's, but that is not but so effective due to swimmers being allowed 3 free events.

knelson
August 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM
That's just the way it goes. Anyone who's swam at previous Nationals should know there's an inherent risk scheduling your return flight on the same day as the competition.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how many scratches there will be, especially among those seeded with the fastest times in the 1500.