PDA

View Full Version : Should I ask my coach this...?

hmlee
July 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM
Hey everyone... so I've got a question. I'm trying to join my college's swim team this fall, and it will be my first time swimming with a team in around 5-6 years. (Yes, even when I've been swimming this summer I have to swim on my own because my schedule conflicts with the master's team.) Anyway, I was thinking that when I meet with the coach before the season starts to talk things over with her I might ask if I could come to the first practice and just watch, so that I know what I'm doing and how everything works.

Is that weird? I'm just sort of nervous about being the new person on a team, and not knowing where to go, what to bring...little things like that that the experienced swimmers have into a routine already.

All the same I don't want the coach to think I'm crazy before I've even started swimming...

Karen Duggan
July 31st, 2005, 02:59 PM
If you know it's OK to workout already, I'd get in the first day. You'd meet more people that way by actually participating. It becomes obvious, pretty quickly, who should be in what lane, etc. I'd rather ask questions while participating (at least you tried) than watching. Besides, it shows you're not afraid to just get in and show 'em what you can do. :)

That's what I'd do. (If it helps, I did a walk on for college volleyball when I hadn't played in 2 years- I just showed up, I didn't make it. I was terribly out of shape and it was obvious early on that most of the last years team was returning- but I had fun playing and at least I tried).

Alicat
July 31st, 2005, 03:08 PM
No it's not weird. It sounds like you are trying to join a really realxed team at the college level. Keep in mind that whenever we try something new that it is expected to feel a bit weird. If you go to practice with this new team at the start of the the season, you may not be the only new person there. It's an oppurtunity to bond, that if you sit out, you will not have that experience that EVERYONE goes through. It will be a missed oppurtunity.

I would go for it myself. Maybe ask for support from your fellow swimmers. You might find out there are others who are feeling a bit anxious and voila! You will go from being the only one to being part of a team.:D

hmlee
July 31st, 2005, 11:14 PM
Yeah, ideally I'd like to swim on the first day and everything - it's just so strange comming back into this sport after having been out of it for about 5 years. I'm a little bit worried that I'll get lost (even though I've spent a lot of time in the facility) as the practices start at 6:30 in the morning, though.

I think the team I'm joining is really relaxed - as far as I know there arn't even tryouts or anything like that. Well....I hope there arn't.

Bob McAdams
August 1st, 2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by hmlee
I think the team I'm joining is really relaxed - as far as I know there arn't even tryouts or anything like that. Well....I hope there arn't.

Yes, there are. The tryouts consist of filling out a form and paying some money. If you do that successfully, you're in! :)

Bob

hmlee
August 1st, 2005, 12:34 AM
Woo! I'm a pro at filling out those forms! I hope I don't have to pay any money though, I think I pay quite enough in tuition as it is, haha.