PDA

View Full Version : helping a friend with different strokes

chris ny
August 2nd, 2005, 03:34 PM
a friend has asked me to help learn the other strokes Butterfly,
Breast, and Back. she just learned to swim 10 months ago and shew wants to go to Masters but wont go until she can at least do each stroke. I am proficient in each and do them frequently. so I guess I am looking for tips on how to show them the right way to get started without giving them any bad happits I may have.
oh yeah by the way she cant afford a real coach.

Rob Copeland
August 2nd, 2005, 03:48 PM
My first tip is get with a masters program and take advantage of good coaching. Failing this, get one of the numerous books referenced in many threads these will provide step by step detailed descriptions of proper strokes and drills.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 2nd, 2005, 06:05 PM
If she's only been swimming for 10 months, do you htink she is ready for other strokes?

PeirsolFan
August 2nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Find someone who knows about injuries and how to avoid them. That's the best gift you can give a new swimmer - not lessons, but how to do it and avoid common injuries.

chris ny
August 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
thank you for the replys. I am a member of a Masters program and I intend to use what I learn there. as far her being ready I would say so she swims quite nicely and she really wants to learn them so she can get faster and join the club. I have been looking at some web-sites for intruction on instructing.
thanks for the help.
Chris

Rob Copeland
August 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Have you found www.breaststroke.info ? It contains some very good information.

Kevin in MD
August 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
I have used the total immersion four stroke book and video to learn and to teach the other strokes.

The butterfly progression is particularly good. the progressions will get you passable in all strokes. Then your friend can fine tune it with the coach.