PDA

View Full Version : timing of breaststroker's head submerging

RayT
August 2nd, 2005, 11:16 PM
I have watched .Eddie Reese On Breaststroke DVD・. Eddie instructed that swimmer・s head must NOT be submerged until one・s hands are fully extended in the water.

If there is any difference if one・s hands fully extended and head submerged at the same time?

Thank you very much for your expertise.

ande
August 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM
actually you want your hands out front, your arms fully extended and head neutral which puts it underwater, the moment your upper body is streamlined, your fire your kick and glide a little.
RIDE THE GLIDE
then begin the next stroke cycle,
wayne mccauley has studied breastroke in depth and written some very useful articles

www.breaststroke.info

ande

Originally posted by RayT
I have watched .Eddie Reese On Breaststroke DVD・. Eddie instructed that swimmer・s head must NOT be submerged until one・s hands are fully extended in the water.

If there is any difference if one・s hands fully extended and head submerged at the same time?

Thank you very much for your expertise.

Kevin in MD
August 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
I think what he may be trying to get at is that the arms need to be streamlined and extended before you go down rather than extending them as you go down.

If your hands are extended before you go under, then you present a nice streamilned picture. If they are extending as you go under, then you elbows are probable still wide and cathing lots of water. Also if your hands extend as you go under, then your hands are moving forward with a high velocity, the velocity of extension PLUS the velocity ofo your trunk goiong under. This greatly increases the resistance.