PDA

View Full Version : http://www.texas-trio.com/index.php

ande
August 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM
http://www.texas-trio.com/index.php

Jeff Commings
August 5th, 2005, 06:15 PM
It's a good site, though it often borders on giggly-girl fandom, especially that loooooong video of Brendan warming down.

I learned of it about two months ago, and I liked the video from the short course championships. A great way for people to see the guys out of the pool.

tjrpatt
August 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM
is that site associated with those guys or just another fan site. I know that Brendan has several of them.

PeirsolFan
August 7th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Almost all of the fan sites are operated by just 3 girls. All of the sites are connected. If you're a fan there's a lot there. If you're a serious swimmer there's not a lot there.

thisgirl13
August 10th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I do know that all the more popular fan sites (brendanhansenonline, aaronpeirsolonline, texas-trio) are run by a small group of girls, but the first one I mentioned, www.brendanhansenonline.com, is run by a 21 year old girl named Michelle, and Brendan and his whole family have gotten involved with the website, and have even met the BHO girls, as they're called, at various meets this year.

tjrpatt
August 10th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by thisgirl13
I do know that all the more popular fan sites (brendanhansenonline, aaronpeirsolonline, texas-trio) are run by a small group of girls, but the first one I mentioned, www.brendanhansenonline.com, is run by a 21 year old girl named Michelle, and Brendan and his whole family have gotten involved with the website, and have even met the BHO girls, as they're called, at various meets this year.

That explains all the pics from when Brendan was like 2 years old. I was wondering how they got those pics.

PeirsolFan
August 10th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Yes, there's the BHO girl(s), the girl who follows Peirsol all over the world (don't ask), and Suz from the main site. But they all know each other and own the majority of the sites.

One recently took issue with Brenden because he didn't take a compliment the right way. Phelps gave the girls a very icy glare in some video footage. Peirsol remarked that he should work on his swimming more if they were seeking autographs because of his looks.

I think they'd appreciate the attention more if any of these young women were also swimmers. The fans (include me) love these girls. Without them I'd have no decent interviews or video coverage.

Considering the championships in Montreal left a 4 million dollar deficit and failed to sell as many tickets as FINA had hoped, swimming needs all the attention it can get.

thisgirl13
August 11th, 2005, 01:50 AM
I have to agree a little bit with Peirsolfan on this one, that swimming needs all the attention it can get from non-swimmers, but I also understand how some of these guys must feel.

They're doing something they love, and are naturally (Along with some serious hard work) amazing at. They didn't really ask to be celebrities, nor did they really seek out this fame that's kind of been thrust on them. There are really no excuses to make for the majority of them, behavior wise (Geek, feel free to ad-lib some line about MP right here, haha), as they've conducted themselves like the public figures they've become.

I just personally, even though I'm a female and all, don't know how comfortable I'd be with all these fansites popping up about me, admiring me for my "hotness" rather than the swimming ability I work so hard for. Granted, it's always nice to be admired, but dealing with giddy screaming girls when you're trying to concentrate on a race can be a little frustrating sometimes, I'm sure. After all, it's not a movie premier, it's international competition.

No offense, of course, to any of the screaming girl-fans. I happen, on many an occasion, to be one of them, as well as being a swimmer greenly envious of Aaron Peirsol's flip-turns and arm span. It's just another point of view.

PeirsolFan
August 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Always on the hunt for free video, I came across a fan putting Peirsol in his place. He had said something in an interview about his, as you put it, "hotness", and fans agreed it sounded immature and conceited. Someone said without swimming he was nothing.

Made me laugh. If his "hotness" (lmao) inspires hoards of young girls to take up swimming then that would be awesome. Now if only male fans will step forward and get inspired, then the future of swimming will be secured! :D

Leonard Jansen
August 11th, 2005, 07:50 AM
There is something deeply creepy about this. That level of obsession must be very uncomfortable to deal with. I can't imagine standing there in your Speedos trying to be polite and talking to a woman who you know is consumed by thoughts of you, wants your children, probably writes your name all over the margins of her papers, is using your name as her password on her computer, and would hate you if she saw you arm-in-arm with another woman.

Brrrrr......

-LBJ

aquageek
August 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM
This could be a positive sign for swimming if we are getting our own set of stalkers.

SwiminONandON
August 11th, 2005, 10:15 AM
It's a tough spot to be in. Girls are starting to worship these guys and they go out and kick the rest of the worlds' butts in the water and are built up over and over. Told they have tons of female fans, have websites dedicated to them, and so forth and all this by the time they are what? 20. Then they are told not to have egos or be conceited.

First and foremost I respect all those guys for their swimming ability, the hard work they put in, and the way they race. Do I think they are hott? Yeah, I do. I tend to think the athletes in whatever sport I do are the hottest, mostly because I respect them immensely. When I have seen them in person I've actually left them alone. I'm not quite up to stalker status. (It doesn't help that I am older than all of them)

If these girls want to worship the three studs from Texas power to them. It'll bring more attention to the sport and that is always a good thing. I did google them once and was shocked they had websites. It's good for the sport though.

Ok, that was a lot or rambling ... sorry ...

Leonard Jansen
August 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Having a stalker is NOT fun.

As a sophomore in college, I had a freshman girl who briefly, thank God - about 2 weeks, became totally obsessed with me, despite the fact that I did everything I could to reason with/dissuade her politely. I literally could not use the bathroom in the dorm without worrying if she'd be waiting for me when I exited. It came to a very public head in the cafeteria where I thought I was going to have to take her down to prevent her from attacking my (then) girlfriend. It was very bad. She later self-destructed through incessant indiscriminant sexual activity.

As a senior in college, I had a gay guy who made advances to me. When I politely declined (several times), he became angry with me. His anger escalated over several months to the point where he would "ambush" me in public venues (cafeteria, etc) and loudly abuse me. It got to the point where college administration had to step in and told his parents to get him therapy for his anger or don't come back.

I was never/am not any sort of UT swim guy stud-muffin type, so they must have been math groupies.

Bad memories that I had pretty well repressed until reading this thread.

-LBJ

blymey
August 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I agree and disagree with some of these comments. I do think that some of the fansites can be a little stalkery, but I don't think any of these people are actually stalkers. Going to a meet and taking photos isn't a stalker move unless you're following them around the globe. Going to a meet or event in your area and going to a meet or event that's completely out of your way are two different things.

I disagree, though, that these boys don't appreciate having fans who aren't swimmers. By that same token, do you think basketball players don't appreciate fans who aren't basketball players? Or should people only be fans of people who do the same thing they do?

I think that they [the athletes] are appreciative of people who come out to see the sport, and if they're the incentive, then so be it. Swimming does get more attention that way, which is a positive thing. I know Aaron Peirsol was thrilled about the crowd at Duel in the Pool, and was glad that swimming was getting attention like that.

Additionally, I think the majority of the fansites are not only for their looks but for their swimming abilitly as well. They may not deconstruct every race and every stroke, but these sites have never claimed to be a swimming technique website.

There are scarier sites out there than the ones that have been listed. I've seen "fan-fiction" sites, where people write stories either linking themselves with a swimmer (Aaron Peirsol is a favourite, as is Ian Thorpe) or linking two swimmers together (Ian Thorpe/Michael Phelps is a popular pairing, from what I've seen). I find those to be creepier than fansites with lots of pictures.

Sorry for the length and rambling! I hope this all makes sense, it's slightly early where I am...

blymey
August 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I also wanted to add that these sites aren't really connected to each other. I know that some of them are run by the same people (NatalieCoughlin.us + MPhelps.us, the SwimStars sites, and some others I can't recall right now), but the majority are all run by different people.

If the swimmers decide to get involved with their fansite, as with MissKaitlin.net and BrendanHansenOnline.com, then I think the site turns away from being simply a "fansite" to something else - it's not quite an official, but it's also not a fansite anymore.

Jeff Commings
August 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM
"I won't be ig-nored, Dan."

swimgal
August 11th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I had to comment on this, because although the lovely woman who runs brendanhansenonline.com would love to hear that she's 21, she in fact has a kid about that age. Texas Trio is run by a laywer and an insurance agent, both of whom simply admire those guys and felt they weren't getting the attention they deserved. I think it's all great for the sport, and I love it that I can see video of different meets -- even amateur -- without having to leave my living room. Nevermind the childhood pics and such, all of which lend a touch of personalization.

I think the attention these 3 guys are getting surprises them a bit, but I do think they appreciate it. I had the good fortune to meet all three of the "Texas Trio" during last week's competitions, and all were quite friendly and accomodating as they were surrounded by fans after the event. And lest you think no good comes of it, imagine more people cheering for Ian Crocker than Michael Phelps during the 100 fly. I didn't even know who Ian Crocker WAS during the Olympics. At Duel in the Pool, the entire American team went and signed autographs for the crowd after the event. I have to imagine that fan sites play a role in the awareness people have of swimmers. And as a marketing professional, I think it's fabulous free publicity for the team and the sport.

Funny thing about the Texas Trio is that they were my inspiration for joining a masters club. After watching them obliterate the WR in the 4x100 medley relay last summer, I couldn't wait to get back in the pool myself...after a 12 year break from competitive swimming. Fandom and participating in the sport certainly aren't mutually exclusive, in my case, they're inextricably linked.

thisgirl13
August 11th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Swimgal,

I did know that Meesh wasn't quite the 21 year old we all admire her to be. That was just kind of an inside thing, but my apologies that it came across that I was confused, hehe.

Peirsolfan, I do know about the "hotness" quote you talked about, it came from an interview posted on the website from Duel in the Pool, and after listening to it a couple times, I think it was more intended as a self-jabbing joke, not really an egotistical statement of fact. Granted, I'm not Aaron, nor am I making a call on it, but I know myself that I don't consider me to be the hottest thing on the planet, but I've been known to joke about it.

As far as the fan telling him off, a couple things: 1) I would like to see that video, if nothing more than to see his reaction to it. 2) I can imagine it must have stung quite a bit to be told that he has nothing going for him other than his swimming talent. I know that if someone I didn't know at my job overheard me saying something about my hotness, then told me I was arrogant and didn't really have anything going for me except for my phone-answering skills (let's face it, if they complimented my swimming, I'd be over the moon) I'd be off either bawling into my manager's arms or cleaning the blood off the floor.

Lastly, because I have to be at work early in the morning, I don't think what these girls (at least the ones at BHO - not that I'm prejudiced or anything to a website) do could be considered stalking. Especially when they make friends with the family and are invited to sit with them at meets. Now, if they start taking his chewing gum or half-eaten dinner rolls, we'll talk. Boy oh boy we'll talk.

PeirsolFan
August 11th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Wow. Sensitive issue. I actually know people who have worked with Aaron, and what is posted online is so vastly different from what I hear.

1. Again, nothing wrong with the sites.

2. Following him around the world makes me think a restraining order might be in order. Aaron said it's weird but he doesn't mind.

3. Never seen or heard of fan fiction but that sounds like normal teenage girl behavior.

4. Didn't read the entire posting debate between the fans. I think they knew Aaron was joking but felt it wasn't something you mention if you're humble. I also recall them taking into account his age. The fans seem to know the swimmers fairly well.

5. Look at Phelps. In real life he's okay looking. People joke about his ears and his teeth but you pull out the Speedo catalog and put that on the counter and chicks squeal like crazy. I don't think it's just because of his abs or just because he can swim. Both factor in.

6. Call me when someone creates a tech-only site.

blymey
August 12th, 2005, 11:07 AM
2. Following him around the world makes me think a restraining order might be in order. Aaron said it's weird but he doesn't mind.

Right, that is weird, but... most of the people on these fansites aren't like that. That's the big difference. Sure, you have the nut that follows him around the world, and it is bizarre and I'd definitely look into a restraining order, but that's not what the typical fan is like.

6. Call me when someone creates a tech-only site.

I find it ironic that you're acting as though the people who are fans of the swimmers are somewhat immature, yet your own screen name is "PeirsolFan".

Again, I ask, how is being a fan of a specific swimmer and creating a fansite for them different than someone being a fan of an actor/actress and creating a fansite for them? Or a football fan creating a site for a specific player? None of these sites have anything to do with the technical side of acting/football/whichever, but does that make them "lesser" fans? Doubtful. Fans come from all walks of life, some of the fans are swimmers (such as myself), other fans simply admire the sport and the swimmers and still others are just fans of the pretty faces. All of these people are allowed to be fans equally. I don't think one ranks above the other.

It is a fairly sensitive issue because what's being called to question is whether or not people are "allowed" to be fans of the swimmers if they're not swimmers themselves.

swimgal
August 12th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Swimgal,

I did know that Meesh wasn't quite the 21 year old we all admire her to be. That was just kind of an inside thing, but my apologies that it came across that I was confused, hehe.

*snip*

Now if they start taking his chewing gum or half-eaten dinner rolls, we'll talk. Boy oh boy we'll talk.

Indeed, I now realize you know to the first part, I just made the connection! ;-)

And LOL/Amen to the second part. Athough I mostly attend meets near home, I sort of like the idea that I can travel the world and follow a sport I love at the same time. If we were talking about the Grateful Dead or football, nobody would think twice about someone traveling to go to a concert or a game. But traveling to watch swimming is somehow different? Why? Sure, if you start showing up at their hotel room with room service, then we have a problem. Personally, I've never heard of any such story, people seem to approach swimmers mostly at meets and keep a respectable distance outside that arena.

PeirsolFan
August 12th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by blymey
I find it ironic that you're acting as though the people who are fans of the swimmers are somewhat immature, yet your own screen name is "PeirsolFan". Again, I ask, how is being a fan of a specific swimmer and creating a fansite for them different than someone being a fan of an actor/actress and creating a fansite for them? Or a football fan creating a site for a specific player? None of these sites have anything to do with the technical side of acting/football/whichever, but does that make them "lesser" fans? Doubtful...

It is a fairly sensitive issue because what's being called to question is whether or not people are "allowed" to be fans of the swimmers if they're not swimmers themselves.

Okay. Stop right there. You're out of gas. I never called anyone immature or inferred that anyone was. As for the screen name, I had to call myself something and everything is always taken. On one swimming forum, even my own name was taken. Look back at what I said, "1. Again, nothing wrong with the sites."

Perhaps in your zest to be defensive, you missed it. I said the guys would appreciate it more if the girls were actually into swimming, but a recent visit to a main forum shows the majority are not. Swim clinics, for example, are a way to give back to the fans. They do, however, involve swimming.

I just wanted to add that a technical site about swimming has nothing to do with who creates it or why. For swimmers interested in physics and drag reduction it's invaluable, and there's only one site like that. It would be nice to have more.

SwiminONandON
August 12th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I feel the need to chime in here ... I heard the interview with Aaron and thought it was funny ... it refrenced the movie Zoolander (which is a personal favorite of mine) so I laughed ... last night I was with a bunch of friends at a rehearsal dinner for a wedding this weekend and we were all quoting that movie in a similar fashion ... I'm pretty sure none of us think we are "professionally good looking" (my friends and I quote movies and tv shows all the time) ... Aaron's young and since none of us were actually there, cut the kid a break ... who knows what actually happened ...

thisgirl13
August 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I'm with Heather. Peirsolfan, I don't think any of us ever intended to make this a sensitive issue at all, and I apologize if what I posted was taken as such. You have to understand that I type like I talk, but the silly tones just don't carry over the computer. *sigh* They really need to create an updated computer voice that sounds like me. Then it would be fun, and I would stop making people think I'm serious if/when I'm not.

That said, I do think the swim-fan sites are nearly the same as football/actor/musician fan sites, with the single exception that swimming is a less-recognized category universally. There is a boy in the company I work for whose name is (no kidding) Michael Phelps. I didn't know it until his paperwork for vacation requests turned up at my desk today. It was very nearly a wiggins, let me tell you, when my supervisor saw me laughing my a** off and asked me what the hell was wrong. Naturally, she didn't know what in the world I was talking about when I showed her his name, until I explained that, and the faintest of recognition registered with her.

I do think there are borders and lines you can cross when you're following a public figure around, but like i said, swimming being less universal, I think that the plus side is these swimmers can get involved with their fans, and enlighten the non-swimmers to the sport, while at the same time encouraging the swimming fans to reach for their dreams.

But really, could you just see on of the Texas Trio's face if they saw their used chewing gum up for auction on Ebay? It's almost tempting to e-mail their connections and beg for "something, anything, oh please god i'll do anything just to be near something he touched!!!" squeaky girl routine. Hehe. Could be fun.*

**Disclaimer - I won't ACTUALLY do that. I swear it, my wooden-spoon wielding Irish grandmother wouldn't stand for it.

PeirsolFan
August 12th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I wasn't talking to either of you, no offense. ;)

I'm responding to the person who created an account specifically for this thread. When someone else mentioned being stalked in college - wow. I guess it is a sensitive issue.

We haven't been talking about an "interview" in this thread for awhile and you're forgetting where I wrote about having a laugh. Relax.

- Confused, because I still haven't even heard the "interview" in question and was referencing posts made in a fan forum...

thisgirl13
August 12th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Peirsolfan -

Okay. As long as you're not mad at me. Don't be angry at Leonard; he's a very nice guy, and I can't imagine it's much fun having a stalker. Although for a little while I might be a little flattered.......Any of you want the position?

If you want to hear the interview, try going to www.duelinthepool.com They should still have the interview with Aaron Peirsol listed on their main page. And my apologies - I thought you said you saw a video of a girl giving Aaron the what-for. But forum chats can be just as vivid.

PeirsolFan
August 13th, 2005, 04:56 AM
You're a skimmer aren't you!? (j/k)

I admit to skimming threads and posting and then down the road it's like, "what exactly did you say?" I'm a lousy fan. Know about the link just to lazy to listen.

blairbecky
August 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM
To make a point I will share a few things with y'all. I didn't even know how to swim till late last year. It wasn't until I watched the olympics that I even became interested in it. They didn't have swimming where I went to school. You know what caught my attention and what made me sit down to watch swimming? It was how attractive the swimmers were. That may sound shallow but that's the way it is. I'm am now so happy I sat down to watch and got so interested in the sport. I've lost weight and found an activity that I truly love. No,I've never raced and probally never will. I get in the pool and just enjoy myself.

Now to get to the point....I've met the woman who runs BHO and you know what....I'm proud to be a BHO girl. It's my right to admire anyone I want for any reason. I can jump on a plane and travel to see someone compete if I want to. I went to Montreal and watched some incredible races. I can say I was there to see Crocker beat Phelps. Brendan's win over Kitajima was one of the most exciting races I've seen. I saw Katie Hoff finally dominate in the IM's in an international meet just like I knew she could. I got to see many WR's broken in person and I wouldn't change a thing.

Good things do come from these sites. Swimmers deserve recognition just like any other athlete. The more popular a swimmer and the more attention they get means more endorsements. It would be nice to see more swimmers get paid a living for what they do,wouldn't it? There is good and bad with all things. That's all I really wanted to say....sorry so long.

Can I just add....Brendan Hansen is so hotttt! *Squees* ;)

thisgirl13
August 13th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Blair,

Additional *squee*! I'm so glad to find you here as well as on BHO!

By all means, I don't think we were dissing the non-swimmers abouts to follow the swimmers around. I actually think it's great for the sport (and the poor swimmers' egos, haha).

Peirsolfan,

I try so very hard to not be a skimmer, I swear it. My life to you for keeping me hopping around here, haha. Working 55 hours a week keeps me almost too busy to read all these interesting posts all the way through.

Oh, and by the way, I discovered that actually IS a guy in our computer department with the name Michael Phelps. It's almost too fun for words, the fun we've been having with him lately. His ears even slightly resemble the other MP's, haha.

PeirsolFan
August 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM
:D