PDA

View Full Version : 2005-2006 Board Discussion

Dennis Tesch
August 6th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I am so excited from out meeting at Einstein's. It is so good to see there are people that really want to help Utah Masters and devote some of their time to our group. In no particular order I wanted to highlight a few things I took from the meeting to hopefully keep our momentum going.

1. Just after the meeting I was speaking with Tony and he suggested we start an online discussion group to keep track of ideas and discussion. I pointed out the on the www.usms.org site there is already place in the discussion forums for all issues concerning Utah to be placed. I will be placing my emails and topics in the forum until we decide otherwise. You can post at this web address: http://forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=91

2. My new job "Top Ten and Records". My goals for the top ten and records position are: 1. maintain, update, and disperse records for all age groups and swimming courses (scm, scy, lcm). 2. Gather local meet results and submit times to national top ten tabulator. 3. Make an effort to find results of Utah masters swimmers who swim at out of state meets. 4. If someone swims in a meet out of our LMSC they should make sure I receive results from the meet host or at least direct me to an online posting of the results.

3. Goals for Utah Masters Board
Increasing membership by focusing on a few different areas -
Provide tools and increase education of current coaches to help improve teams and provide communication to swimmers on membership benefits
establish relationships with aquatic directors and provide information about masters swimming - help start new programs around the LMSC
Provide information to new coaches that are starting new teams - There is a great link on the USMS site about building a successful masters program. http://www.usms.org/admin/building.pdf
develop a membership benefits list for all masters participants (x-competitive, rec, lap, triathlete, etc) Here is a list of benefits listed on the masters website:
Members of USMS enjoy the following benefits:

Improved health and fitness.
Enjoying the fun, friendships, and camaraderie of swimming with others.
Subscription to USMS SWIMMER magazine.
Opportunities to participate in one of over 500 clubs with coached workouts.
Opportunities to participate in training clinics across the country.
Competitive, Fitness, and Open Water events offered all across the country.
Insurance coverage while participating in USMS Events.
Check out there promotional video as well: http://www.usms.org/usms30-4.mov
Focus on providing more events beyond competitions. Provide fitness events, postal events, open water, and social activities.
Define and develop Utah Masters Swimming board
Create bylaws
develop each members roles and goals
2005-2006 Swim Meet Schedule - Tentative
10/15/05 - SCM - Park City
11/11/05 - SCY - Murray Aquatic Center
1/7/06 - SCY Park City
1/19/06 - QUAC Ski and Swim - Fairmont
4/7-8/06 - State Meet at Fairmont
5/11-14/06 - Nationals SCY - Coral Springs, FL
6/3/06 - LCM - Kearns Oquirrh Park
6/22-25/06 - Utah Summer Games - LCM - Cedar City, UT
7/16-21/06 - Gay Games - Chicago
8/4-11/06 - FINA Masters World Championships
Possible Fitness and postal events we can promote
Fitness - Check of Challenge, Virtual Geographic Swim Series, 30 min swim challenge - check them out at - http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/fitnessevents
Postal events - 5 & 10 K postal, 3000/6000 postal, One hour postal - http://www.usms.org/comp/calendar.php#POSTALS

I look forward to seeing everyone else's post on the discussion board. Let's make this a great year.

Dennis

:D

jweitzel
August 7th, 2005, 10:57 AM
We identified a lot of exciting initiatives at the meeting. Lo and I will be contacting individuals for articles to include in the newsletter. Meanwhile, you can send to me any suggestions for newsletter articles.

Jane

Dennis Tesch
August 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I need your opinions on three different subjects concerning Utah Masters, please reply ASAP.

1. USMS Booth at Jordanelle Triathlon. It was discussed at our last board meeting to possibly set up a booth at the Jordanelle triathlon on August 27th to promote masters swimming to triathlete community. To get the booth from USMS only cost shipping a fully refundable deposit of $250.00. We then need to ship the booth to the next location. (A minimal cost I think). If we can get permission from triutah to set up the booth and if the booth is available to be sent, should we do it?

2. Discussion Forum on USMS site. I have looked into the Utah section of the discussion forums on the USMS.org website. It looks to be a good site to put all of our notes and hold a "blog" of sorts for all of Utah Masters swimming discussions and information. You can also set the forum up to be emailed anytime someone posts a message and it doesn't cost us anything. Should we start posting things there or should we look into having one made for our own website?

3. Swim Meet Schedule - Cathy Philpot and I were talking this morning at workout that maybe we should look for a different site for the January meet in 2006. We are already swimming at Park City in October. We were thinking about the new pool in Coalville UT (just past Park City). I will be contacting them today to see if they would want to hold the meet. Their facility is a new pool and was promoted in the one of the recent issues of recreation management. Should we stay at Park City or should we try a new pool?

Thanks for your time.....

Dennis