PDA

View Full Version : swimming Goggles

suares
August 8th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I did my first ocean swim (2 miles) after decades of pool swimming. I don't think the goggles i wore for the pool are appropriate for the open water. pool goggles are designed for lane lines and clear water. In the ocean, i have to crane my neck up to look for beacons on the shore to navigate by. i think i swam 2X farther than the rest since i was always off course. is there a goggle with a better field of vision for the open water than the ones i use in the pool?

tomhendersonfl
August 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM
The Aqua Sphere Seal and Seal XP goggles provide 180 degree visibility, and are very comfortable. I use the XP, which is slightly smaller than the regular Seal, for open water swimming.

Rob Copeland
August 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I use the same goggles in pool and open water, Speedo Optical. Maybe the issue has less to do with the goggles and more to do with craning about.

There is more to open water navigation than just spotting course markers. Learn to swim straight, or follow someone who can. Pay attention to the landmarks (not just the buoys); if you swim an ocean swim parallel to the shore of the shore line disappears over the horizon… you may be off course, if the race is in the morning and the course is heading south and you see the sun off to your right…you may be off course.

Damage Inc
August 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I also use the Seal XP for OW swims. Great visability and comfortable.
Limited coolness factor, but when I saw a picture of the $10,000 Tiburon mile winner wearing them, I figured they would make me faster with less effort.;)

F'ueco
August 9th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I just wear my Swedes. Which color depends on the weather. I'll normally break in a new pair for a race, since they stay fog-free better for the first week. I've never had a visibility issue with them, and they are the most comfortable goggles I've worn yet.

kernow
August 9th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I wear swedes... Bright orange ones.

suares
August 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I've found the XP Seals, but when i google Swedes i get nothing as far as swim gear. Who makes them?, or is there a more specific name? Thank you for your responses.

Darrow

F'ueco
August 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM
These are Swedes.

http://store.teamconcept.com/cgi-bin/teamconcept.storefront/42fa5f12009772a0273f0a0a0a0605fc/Product/View/1836&2D1

http://store.teamconcept.com/isroot/teamconcept/SiteImages/competitor-03CO001.jpg

Maryyyyyy
August 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I also use the same goggles in the pool and in OW. Make sure I have a new pair, not scratched up, which can lessen the clarity of vision. But, I DO break them in first, otherwise they can be painful.

Also - how's your vision? I'm near-sighted. I use disposable (one-day) contacts when I do OW swims.

Rob's advice on sighting is excellent.

suares
August 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM
This time of year, there is often a Southern Calif. marine layer in the a.m: The sun is too diffused to navigate by. So I have to look up to spot shore land marks or the pier-as i get closer. With practice i will get better at the timing since i have trained since childhood to maintain a streamlined position and navigate from a lane line a few feet below me.
i swam with a pair of the Seal XPs and was impressed with the lack of seam in the goggle. It required less lifting to navigate since there was no line to cut the field of vison. As i do more open water swimming, i'm told the seam will no longer bother me.
i'm having fun.

D.

sdswimmer
August 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I use the Kaiman (aqua sphere) its smaller than the seal/xp really just a slightly large regular goggle but with a better field of view than most. In the marine layer I've been trying the brown lens and the orange which seem to cut thorugh it a bit better but make all the sea life look weirdly colored! I find any goggles will make my face hurt after 3-4 hours so if I have a support boat I'll have them drop me something different after that, I used to like the nike goggles but the newest version doens't fit well so I'm looking for a new alternate.
Its always disturbing when youa re sure your goggles are fogging and finally stop to clear them only to discover the air is foggier yet!