PDA

View Full Version : Shark Repellent

Leonard Jansen
August 8th, 2005, 09:42 AM
They are doing trials of a "shark repellent":
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/07/AR2005080700593.html

-LBJ

info@randynutt.com
August 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Good story Leonard, thanks for posting. I hope the solution to a shark repellant is a natural one so that we can swim together with these beautiful creatures. In 1996 I spent several days at the same location near Bimini with National Geographic doing research on electrical repellants in order to help a swimmer (Gail Rice) swim from Bimini to Florida without a shark cage. It was awesome to swim and dive with pros who would hand feed sharks –and to notice that the sharks were not interested in humans. I really believe that in most shark attack cases it is murky water or schools of baitfish and a mistake on the shark’s part. (Photo from our trip hand feeding a shark is posted here: www.aquamoonadventures.com –note it is not me but I am a few feet behind the diver!)
Gail swam some 45 miles before we had to pull her out (15-20 miles off the Florida coast) –not because of sharks but because of jellyfish

FindingMyInnerFish
August 8th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I just saw a story about that this morning. Pretty fascinating stuff! The Camden Aquarium (across the river fr/ Philly) has a program whereby people can sign up to swim in the same tank as the sharks. A family member cracked that it was a great racket in that they'd not only save money on feeding the sharks, they'd make a profit. ;)

But I have heard similar things--that generally people aren't their preferred food and that they'll often swim right by scuba divers as if they're some uninteresting species of fish.

kernow
August 9th, 2005, 06:11 AM
'Gail swam some 45 miles before we had to pull her out (15-20 miles off the Florida coast) –not because of sharks but because of jellyfish"

That's a shame... With all of the attention placed on shark attacks, IMHO, people tend to forget about other sea 'pests', like jellies and fish that like to nibble...

BTW- what ARE the chances of getting munched by a shark off of the east coast of FLA? *gulp*

info@randynutt.com
August 9th, 2005, 09:03 AM
It really depends where on Florida’s east coast you swim….down south in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area the water is very clear and there have not been the attacks. Up the coast a few hours where the surfers go you add some risk….

Rob Copeland
August 9th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Randy Nutt
It really depends where on Florida’s east coast you swim….down south in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area the water is very clear and there have not been the attacks. Up the coast a few hours where the surfers go you add some risk…. But still the risks are very slight.

Statistically -
You are more likely to be hit by lightening the being attacked by a shark.
You are more likely to win a gold medal in the Olympics that being attacked by a shark.
You are more likely to be mauled by pigs (beer drinking or otherwise) that being attacked by a shark.
The list goes on and on…

Follow a few safety rules and you reduce the risks even more.

Guvnah
August 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Just don't be the last guy in the "school" of swimmers. Don't sharks generally attack schools of fish from the back?

FindingMyInnerFish
August 10th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah
Just don't be the last guy in the "school" of swimmers. Don't sharks generally attack schools of fish from the back?

NOW you tell me! ;)

--although in my last race--bay swim--while being in back for a while, I didn't encounter any "finned friends." I figured I'd be pretty safe in a bay where there were barrier islands, but you never know.... When we were both kids, my brother once caught a small shark while fishing off a dock facing a bay. (Of course, the shark was too small to do anything but deliver a powerful nip. Doubt it could have done serious damage. Did make me wonder what else was out there while I swam.)

ChrisM
August 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Here we go again....:rolleyes:

IF humans were on a shark's menu, don't you think there would be thousands of attacks per year, as opposed to the 10s that actually happen? They are ALL over the oceans (although in distressingly smaller numbers due to over fishing), just because you don 't see them doesn't mean they ain't there.

I've dived with sharks hundreds of times, and never once felt threatened. Usually, you are lucky to see a shark, since most human activity scares them off. Sharks have much more to fear from us than us from them.

Yeah, it's a basic primitive fear, so I understand that. But the facts simply don't support it.

Chris

geochuck
August 11th, 2005, 12:54 PM
If you are attacked, if the shark eats you, who is going to report the attack???

ChrisM
August 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM
then there would be thousands of missing persons.... er, wait a minute, maybe that's where all the kids onthe milk cartons are going.......

FindingMyInnerFish
August 11th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by ChrisM
Here we go again....:rolleyes:

IF humans were on a shark's menu, don't you think there would be thousands of attacks per year, as opposed to the 10s that actually happen? They are ALL over the oceans (although in distressingly smaller numbers due to over fishing), just because you don 't see them doesn't mean they ain't there.

I've dived with sharks hundreds of times, and never once felt threatened. Usually, you are lucky to see a shark, since most human activity scares them off. Sharks have much more to fear from us than us from them.

Yeah, it's a basic primitive fear, so I understand that. But the facts simply don't support it.

Chris

Point taken, Chris--I think that this is more my actual thinking, except when there's a string of shark attack reports, as was the case recently.

It's like my thoughts about flying...I won't let the possibility of an accident keep me from going where I plan to go...and I realize that statistically you're safer in an airplane than in a car, BUT perceived risk is another story altogether. Generally, I suppose ppl have to live with a certain degree of risk or they'd have to live their lives hiding under their beds and missing out on a lot of good things (and the bed could still fall on the person hiding underneath). The idea of some large fish or animal making a meal of me...sure it gives me the shivers...likely to happen? Nope. But that doesn't make the idea any less scary, and new reports arouse that fear, just as reports of airplane accidents (esp'y if near a time when I'm going to fly somewhere) have me on edge... I'll still go through with my plans, just as I still participated in the ocean swim despite hearing stories about sharks. I know of ppl who ABSOLUTELY won't go into the water b/c of hearing about Jaws. I go in with the idea that statistically w/ so many food choices a shark has, why should s/he prefer my particular type of protein when s/he has a whole ocean full of more appetizing snax.

But the milk carton pix... hmmmmm.... :eek: