PDA

View Full Version : I'm Fed Up!!!

geochuck
August 10th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Went to the gas station. Gas $4.65 Canadian for a gallon of gas. I did not gas up, I have parked my car and will use my bike. The car will only be used for emergencies. No car until the price goes down. I have three of the stupid things and I think I will get my Insurance canceled on two and by cancelling the insurance I will save $1500.00 this year and will save about $300.00 amonth on gas. I also take the BC ferries to the Mainland, there and back is $100.00 a week. I will save a total of $841.00 a month. I will now be able to have another 280 cafe lattes a month.

I may even become fit and get to wear my old Speedos size 32.

aquageek
August 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM
How much of that is Canadian taxes added to the actual cost of the gallon of gas? That should make you more enraged.

geochuck
August 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
How much of that is Canadian taxes added to the actual cost of the gallon of gas? That should make you more enraged.
Don't forget the Canadian gallon is 1 fifth larger than a US gallon and the difference in our currency is nearly 30 cent on the dollar. It works out to be $3.99 Canadian for a US gallon or $3.29 US. Taxes are high but Medical costs low.

gull
August 10th, 2005, 04:02 PM
At least a latte is cheaper in Canada:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/16/news/funny/latteindex/

aquageek
August 10th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Don't forget the Canadian gallon is 1 fifth larger than a US gallon and the difference in our currency is nearly 30 cent on the dollar. It works out to be $3.99 Canadian for a US gallon or $3.29 US. Taxes are high but Medical costs low.

Using US math, which runs about 15% higher than Canadian math, that means your are paying about $1 US more per gallon than gull80 and I are. In NC the state hits us with a $.40 tax on top of the $.08 Fed tax (I think). That means of your $3.29 US(coverted) gallon of gas you are paying approx $1.50 in taxes or about 45% of your gas in taxes.

Taking this to the next stupid level, if you spend $841 Canadian (or about $650 US) on gas a month, that means you are buying around 200 gallons a month in gas, which means you are paying around $350 US in taxes. Getting to the point here - that is more than I pay for health insurance in the US and I can choose doctors from New Bern if I so choose.

To keep this about swimming - I wear TYR goggles.

Peter Cruise
August 10th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I curse gas prices daily 'cause every penny rise is money lost to retailers (me) even though I realize that it is still much higher in some other parts of the world. Also, in Canada, we buy gas in liters ('cept for resolutely non-metric types like George) & last time I checked it was still cheaper than some of the bottled water in supermarkets & convenience stores...

F'ueco
August 10th, 2005, 04:15 PM
$1.93 for a latte in Thailand?

You can get dinner for two there for that price (minus the drinks). What a rip!

I felt bad paying my $2.55 per gallon last weekend. It's starting to get ridiculous. But a fill up still costs me less than $20, and lasts me for two weeks normally. Gotta love those Geo Metros...

aquageek
August 10th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I know this will come as a shock to those that have painted me as a right winger but I drive a large (sub)urban assault vehicle that gets low gas mileage, emits a lot of pollutants and easily drives right over Geo Metros without much more than a slight bump.

gull
August 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I can make you a (180 degree) latte at my house for pennies--I have a very nice machine from Italy. I would, of course, charge Geek quite a bit more.

I like TYR goggles as well.

F'ueco
August 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
I know this will come as a shock to those that have painted me as a right winger but I drive a large (sub)urban assault vehicle that gets low gas mileage, emits a lot of pollutants and easily drives right over Geo Metros without much more than a slight bump.

And it may come as a shock that this right-winger drives a Metro. :)

And it looks like gas prices are getting worse around here (this is from a Palo Alto station:

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/OIL_PRICES.sff_CAPS112_20050810004249.jpg

Matthias
August 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
don't worry. over here I pay more then 10$ (US currency) for a gallon. people would be happy if they had your prices.

Linny
August 10th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Matthias I assume that you are in the UK. I filled up my car today in North East Scotland and paid 90p a litre. (about $1.60 I guess)
Hello George!:D

geochuck
August 10th, 2005, 05:14 PM
The vehicle that I am leaving the licence on is my wife's little car that gets 65 miles per gallon. Those big cars drive over it and don't even touch it.

Hi Lynn

Hey Peter I used gallons for the neigbours (Canadien spelling) to the south. Most don't know that 3.8 liters is a us gallon and the imperial gallon we used to go by is one fifth larger. I guess that is the reason when we buy a fifth of whiskey we are really not getting our moneys worth.

Peter Cruise
August 10th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I usually get my money's worth when I buy a fifth of whiskey...

geochuck
August 10th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I liked it better when we bought a Canadien quart it was a fifth large than a Us quart. The Last bottle of Crown Royal that I bought was $12.00 that was in Mexico, now that was really worth it.

Actually the point of the thread was how much fitter I was going to be riding my CCM (made in Canada bike) that I just bought at Costco..

Linny
August 10th, 2005, 05:45 PM
You'll need to cover a lot of miles on that bike to make up for the calories in 280 lattes!

geochuck
August 10th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I changed to skinny lattes today, they make them with skim milk.

SwiminONandON
August 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I remember reading this article comparing the price of gas to other things. For example a gallon of milk costs more. You pay more usually for a gallon jug of water. And so forth. Also gas prices haven't risen at the same rate as inflation. All that being said it makes me ill everytime I go to the gas station. I used to be able to fill up my car for about $13 and now its closer to $25 (I have a 10 gallon tank) .... I am thrilled however that I take the train to work and don't have to get gas as often as I use to ... still it totally sucks, I agree ...

sanwin
August 11th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I know gas goes up and down by 10 cents here in Pa in 4or 5 hours. I drive an hour one way to work. Skipped the gym this am , took dog for walk, did some free weights at home and gonna walk into my back yard an swim laps to forget how much money I spend on my car. Good idea to start walking more Thanks

geochuck
August 11th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Driving to and fro from home to work, I remember reading Popular Mechanics when I was in my teens, it was all about designing our communities so we could be within a few minutes of work, and not have to drive to work. I guess the oil companies burnt all of those magazine issues and designed our living spaces to be 1, even two hours from work. How many hours a day do we lose by going to work. There 1hr and back makes 2hrs, service on the car every 3000 miles how much money? Time filling up the gas tank what a waste. Buying the bigger car than the neighbour (Canadian spelling). Money out the door.

scyfreestyler
August 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM
We all make choices. We choose where we live, where we work, what car we drive if any, how much we walk and/or bike, etc.. Filling up a tank is not a waste of time, it is a choice that you have made. For those who don't want to drive 1 hour each way to work, quit! Find a job that is closer to your home. Move to an area with a lower cost of living. Buy a smaller home and reduce your monthly expenses.