PDA

View Full Version : Posted workouts

69gscal
August 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Anyone here follow the posted workouts by Robert Strauss, Mo Chambers or Kris Houchens/ Mel Goldstein?
What is your impression of their regimens'?
Are you happy with your progress?

Matthias
August 12th, 2005, 04:08 AM
yepp, I follow the workouts of Coach Strauss and I enjoy them a lot. They are fun, interesting and challenging and defenitly helped me to improve.
If you are unsure which workouts to follow, why not try a week of every Coach's programm and then decide what you liked best?

brgds

Matthias

dorothyrde
August 12th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I have been following Mo's taking pieces to fit into the time I have. I like her sequencing of things, I have upped my swims to 5 days, and she gives 5 days worth. She alternates free and IM.

Her emphasis seems to be on shorter intervals, although there is some middle distance things thrown in. I usually use rest intervals, because I am a wimp and don't push myself when swimming by myself. In the fall I will join up with the group at the Y again and will get plenty of time intervals to make!

I like the posted work-outs because even if you don't use them in its entirety, it gives you and idea. By myself, I tend to start getting into a rut of same old same old.

BillS
August 12th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I am currently self-coached using Mo's workouts. I think it is a whole lot better to have a workout to follow, even if you modify it to fit your conditioning or time constraints, than to just try and make something up. I don't look at what's on tap until I get to the pool, then just try to swim the workout more or less as written.

Mo's are the least complicated of the 3; I tend to get bogged down in all the acronyms and code words used by the other 2. That may be due to the fact that I have not swum competitively since high school and am not familiar with some of the modern terms. Mo has a very good introductory thread in which she explains her drills and terms. Pretty easy to follow after a couple of weeks.

I just print it out every day, lay it in the gutter and let it get soaked while I swim, then wad it up and pitch it in the trash as I leave. Couldn't be simpler.

In about 8 months swimming, with 6 of those on Mo's program, I've lost 10 - 12 pounds, have gained quite a bit of strength and conditioning, and the drills (along with some TI stuff and Emmet Hines' articles) have made me think about and modify my stroke mechanics quite a bit. I have no idea how much faster I am, but that was not my focus when I started. But that may change if I can fit my schedule around my local team's.

SearayPaul
August 12th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Mo's workout are my favorite way to swim. I swim a couple of days a week and her workouts are just right for my time constraints and conditioning. I will shorten up her intervals slightly depending on the set.

Mo keeps me improving in spite of myself. I am not good enough to complete the other coach's workout in the 75 or so minutes that I have to swim each time. I get frustrated when I start something and do not have time to finish it or complete the project to my standard.

When I have a clear stated goal or challenge it is much easier to complete the swim. When I make up my own workout I tend to let the intervals be a little looooonger than they should be. I also find myself doing the same type IM workout each time and this does not give the old body a chance to work different aspects of swimmng.

Thank you Mo for your time in posting these workouts.

Have a great day

Paul

dorothyrde
August 13th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by BillS
I am currently self-coached using Mo's workouts. I think it is a whole lot better to have a workout to follow, even if you modify it to fit your conditioning or time constraints, than to just try and make something up. I don't look at what's on tap until I get to the pool, then just try to swim the workout more or less as written.

Mo's are the least complicated of the 3; I tend to get bogged down in all the acronyms and code words used by the other 2. That may be due to the fact that I have not swum competitively since high school and am not familiar with some of the modern terms. Mo has a very good introductory thread in which she explains her drills and terms. Pretty easy to follow after a couple of weeks.

I just print it out every day, lay it in the gutter and let it get soaked while I swim, then wad it up and pitch it in the trash as I leave. Couldn't be simpler.

In about 8 months swimming, with 6 of those on Mo's program, I've lost 10 - 12 pounds, have gained quite a bit of strength and conditioning, and the drills (along with some TI stuff and Emmet Hines' articles) have made me think about and modify my stroke mechanics quite a bit. I have no idea how much faster I am, but that was not my focus when I started. But that may change if I can fit my schedule around my local team's.

I keep a ziplock sandwhich bag in my swim bag. Each swim day, I stick the work-out into it, and pitch the old. It stays more readable in the gutter that way!

Glad to hear others like Mo's work-out also. I have been building back up to the 3000+ yards per work-out after being a bit lazy this last year. I take turns cutting out the drills, or the desert, but always do one or the other with the main. I also do them a week behind because I start on Sunday, and they are not posted until Monday.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I use Mel's. they are wonderful. I think that robert's are very hard to follow if you aren't accostumed to his abreviations.