PDA

View Full Version : No morbidly obsese triathletes (mixing threads)

Boe Clark
August 12th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I'm getting the picture, Aqua, GoodSmith, et al

Your repressed 'Tri-Envy' (ref. S. Freud - 'Electra' complex for more discussion on repressed latent desires and passive aggressive tendencies) stems from being overweight, doesn't it. Come on. Fess up. We'll still love ya.

Well, it is harder to pound the pavement with muffin tops dangling. And the 8"X4" triangle, granny bike seats kind of make you stand out in the bike portion of a tri. All tradeark "one dimensional" swimmer signals. The picture is definitely coming into focus.

Stay strong swimmies. We will love you even if you can't engage in events that involve friction, gravity and sustaining your own full body weight.

By the way, lighten up!! ;-)

tri, tri, tri again

aquageek
August 12th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I have no idea what this is about. I will give you credit for a clever thread. I've found triathletes are generally quite clever. They get plenty of time to talk and create nifty ideas as they put on wet suits, adjust pull buoys, strap on the heart rate monitor, slap on the fins and paddles while real swimmers just keep stroking away.

I don't run or bike and have no desire to do so. That is where your whole argument falls apart.

Blue Horn
August 12th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Actually, I have seen plenty of overweight tris. They are always at the sprint triathalons, but they are there with all of their pretty new equipment.

Hook'em
Blue

gull
August 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Boe Clark
Stay strong swimmies. We will love you even if you can't engage in events that involve friction, gravity and sustaining your own full body weight.

If you'll post a mailing address, we can send you a get well card after you've had your total knee replacements.

Peter Cruise
August 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM
the menace is taking over another thread! Seriously, all of you triathletes out there, we really all love you & as a token of my seriousness, I am offering John Smith's home in Colorado as an altitude-based tri's & swimmers sensitivity training session. John's bubbly personality & total sincerity will bring both sides together in peace & harmony.

jswim
August 12th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
the menace is taking over another thread! Seriously, all of you triathletes out there, we really all love you & as a token of my seriousness, I am offering John Smith's home in Colorado as an altitude-based tri's & swimmers sensitivity training session. John's bubbly personality & total sincerity will bring both sides together in peace & harmony.

am I wrong or is it likely the first and last time the words "John" [smith] and "bubbly personality" have, and will every be combined in the same sentence?

Howard
August 12th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Why do tri competitions often have a clydesdale division?

scyfreestyler
August 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM
One question...what is "obsese"?

aquageek
August 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Howard

Now that's a darn good question.

FindingMyInnerFish
August 12th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by jswim
am I wrong or is it likely the first and last time the words "John" [smith] and "bubbly personality" have, and will every be combined in the same sentence?

Had to read the original post again... in Emily Litella fashion (old timers may remember the SNL skits where she offers editorial replies based on initial misunderstandings... "busting schoolchildren" etc.), I glossed over until the word "bubbly" and had hopes of a nice champagne-fest in Colorado, which of course I'd attend even though I'm not a triathlete (but I did an aquathlon once...might that make me an "aquathlete"?). ;)

But now to my disappointment, it only refers to the host's purported personality and even that has been called into question. Sigh!

Conniekat8
August 14th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by 330man
One question...what is "obsese"?

I think it's a term for a swimmer who obseses about the minutia hand entry while they can't figure out why they can't stop their legs from dragging like anchors.

Conniekat8
August 14th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Boe Clark

Hmmmmm....
Well, who wouldda thunk, swimming doesn't include friction.
No more shaving down before the meet.
It must be the pull of the moon that makes them legs sink.
:D ;)

USMSarah
August 15th, 2005, 12:12 AM
When I think of a triathletes body, I think of a very very slim frame, they look like a stick.

When I think of a swimmers body, I see broad shoulders, smaller waists... muscles not too big but not too small.

Which would you rather have (or look at)?

PS- Aren't the best triathletes usually crappy swimmers?

mattson
August 16th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I remember watching the women's triathlon on TV for the 2000 Olympics. I was surprised that I recognized the top US finisher (Zieger), as we were in the same year in college. She was the top distance swimmer for the swim team. I had no idea that she had become a world-class biker and runner.

Kevin in MD
August 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Howard

The short answer is that triathletes come in all shapes and sizes. Granted, the fastest guys are in great shape but the rest of us can be more ummmm, "generously porportioned."

The long answer is that a guy from Baltimore years ago did some work to show that road race finish times are dependent to a large degree on weight. The upsot being that a guy who is 6'4" tall, built well, weighing 200 pounds will never be at the front of a running race. He might be OK mind you, 17 minutes ofr the 5k, but at most 5k races they will be over a minute off of the front of the race. Anyway this guy did the work and documented it well. So race directors started having clydesdale divisions to let the bug guys race amongst themselves.

It carried over to triathlon from running. It is a common misconception that the clydesdale division is for the fat guys. While we enjoy the clydesdale division! it is not really meant for us. It is for the tall muscular guy in excellent shape who in spite of all his training, determinatioin and attention to his weight, will never be at the front of the race in a major competition.