PDA

View Full Version : Okay...this may sound odd but...reading material

hmlee
August 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I'm just curious about this one....does anyone else read magazines like men's health/fitness and such? Even though I'm a girl, I often find myself with a little downtime at the club where I swim (and my mother works) after a workout so I'll pick up a random magazine or two.

I think I've become addicted to both of those magaiznes. I feel ashamed....heh.

Anyway, so what if anything do you read in terms of health/fitness periodicals? Do you put stock in the training/nutrition tips contained within these mags?

Kerry
August 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Just so you don't feel too ashamed, I'll admit to reading Women's Health, Shape, Weight Watchers, and Oprah. :o There actually ARE some good fitness articles, amidst all the makeup tips....

jswim
August 16th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Yes, I occasionally pick up a Shape or fitness mag, but I have a subscription to Natural Health. They often have fitness blurbs and a ton of health info to keep me motivated on a healthy lifestyle (Though I often give in to my cravings for things like Pizza and donuts!) mmmmmm... suuugarrrr! ;)

Frank Thompson
August 16th, 2005, 05:26 PM
There is a new magazine called Geezer Jock that is free. They have there own website at www.geezerjock.com and a subscription to the magazine is free. They have already featured some masters swimmers and cover all sports. "We view Geezer Jock as a platform to profile amateur athletes who inspire, to document the good and the bad of the Masters sports scene, and to provide training advice for athletes at any level. We promise that our writting will be entertaining, our subjects thought-provoking and our photography breathtaking." They just started the magazine last year and the issue I saw was pretty good.

bda721
August 16th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I have a subscription to Men's Health and it is a great magazine. I also have one to a bodybuilding magazine, but I prefer MH because it has articles on subjects other than working out. It also has pretty decent interviews with celebs and their fitness routines.

Rebecca
August 17th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Cooking Light is one of my favorites, it has some really good exercise/fitness articles in every issue, and great ideas for tasty food that's not too complicated to fix after swimming in the evening.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 17th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by bda721
I have a subscription to Men's Health and it is a great magazine. I also have one to a bodybuilding magazine, but I prefer MH because it has articles on subjects other than working out. It also has pretty decent interviews with celebs and their fitness routines.

I had a subscription to Men's Health for many years. I dropped it because I thought it was becoming a beauty magazine. I have a subscription to Swimming World and OutSide.

swimlong
August 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I have not been impressed with fitness magazines because their articles all seem so basic. (Swimming magazines aside...)I used to read Runners World every month, but it has become a beauty magazine (you too should look like this sleek, 5'10" 125 pound runner...and wear short shorts like she does...) The articles on nutrition in particular were lame (too skinny? drink juice instead of water to gain weight. too fat? drink water instead of juice or soda to lose weight...)