PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

hmlee
August 18th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Hey all. So I've been swimming this summer in prepartion for joining my University's team this september, but I've just now hit a snag. Normally, I swim at a fitness club where my mom is working part time during the evenings. I've got a good four hours during her shift to get in a nice long swim between 3,500-4,000 yds and then to lift afterwards. Usually, I'm able to do that 3-4 times a week.

This is changing, however.

It seems that this club is doing work on their pool for the next two weeks, and it is going to be closed. This means that by the time they open again, I'll be able to get in one, maybe two, swims before I move back into school!

So in the interim, I've decided that I'll swim over at the local YMCA and then lift weights at my mom's work. Unfortunately, the YMCA has a kind of weird pool schedule, and I've often found that by the time I'm able to start a workout I can swim maybe 3,000-3,500 yds at a time maximum.

Soooooo. My question is, how much will the loss of 500-1,000yds per session affect my overall training? What is the best way to make use of the time that I have at the Y? Should I look to increase my times there from 3-4 to 4-5 days a week to make up for the change? Any advice at all would be appreciated. I really want to be at least somewhat ready for the team in September.

scyfreestyler
August 18th, 2005, 01:05 PM
How about increasing the intensity of your swims? Shorten the rest between sets and push yourself a little harder.

hmlee
August 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Hmm. I suppose I could do that. Is there anything else I should be doing?

knelson
August 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I agree with 330man. If your time is limited what you do in that time becomes even more crucial. Instead of the "nice long swim" you've been doing add more quality swimming where you're getting your heartrate up in the 170-180 BPM range. I'd suggest getting in a 1,000 warmup then a main set or sets totalling about 2,000 then warmdown for the remainder.

Another suggestion is to make up some of the aerobic training you're losing in the pool by using the cardio equipment at your mom's club.

hmlee
August 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Okay sounds good...I should clairify that when I said nice long swim I didn't mean I wasn't pushing myself at all, though. I have quite a few sets that are fast/hard intensity.

Damage Inc
August 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM
You could also try cross training with biking and running. Tri all three.

hmlee
August 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Biking I can do. Unfortunately, I happen to have exercise induced asthma and I can't run more than a short sprint. It's sad I know. I'll never been a iron-something-tri-person like my mother. Just have to content myself with swimming, I guess. Hehe.