PDA

View Full Version : Can you butterfly for 77km in 64 hours?

bitwiz
August 19th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Kingston Woman Swims Lake Ontario and Breaks Two Records
Darren McEwen
Thursday, August 18, 2005 6:34 AM

Marathon swimmer Vicki Keith is catching up on some much-needed rest as she, once again, enters the record books.

The Kingston woman completed her swim across Lake Ontario late Wednesday night.

Kieth swam 77 kilometres butterfly, breaking her old record but fell just short of a plan to swim 80 kilometres.

The 44-year-old woman also set a record for spending the longest amount of time swimming in open water. Keith, who didn't plan to set the record, was in the lake for 64 hours. She made the gruelling trek to support a local charity.

Keith became the first and only person to complete a double-crossing of the Great Lake 19 years ago.

From http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat=1&nid=31022

Isn't it crazy? How does one do fly for 64 hours straight?

FindingMyInnerFish
August 19th, 2005, 10:15 AM
As someone who finds it difficult to do butterfly for 64 seconds straight, my swim cap is off to her! Amazing!!

hmlee
August 19th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I want her to train my fly form!

nkace
August 19th, 2005, 03:08 PM
How does anyone do ANYTHING for 64 hrs staight? WHAT? :eek:

bitwiz
August 19th, 2005, 04:16 PM
That was my thinking. How do you anything for 64 hours straight?
She tried the swim couple of weeks ago, went for 50+ hours, and had to stop due to waves and headwind. Then she goes out again and does it. To raise money for her swim team. Truly an amazing woman.

Maryyyyyy
August 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by bitwiz
That was my thinking. How do you anything for 64 hours straight?
She tried the swim couple of weeks ago, went for 50+ hours, and had to stop due to waves and headwind. Then she goes out again and does it. To raise money for her swim team. Truly an amazing woman.

I bake muffins to raise money for my swim team. :D

Amazing indeed!

Peter Cruise
August 19th, 2005, 04:51 PM
There you go, Mary- bake muffins for 64+ hrs straight! Um, I'll try one of the first ones...

aquageek
August 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by bitwiz
Truly an amazing woman.

Obsessive compulsive and crazy also come to mind.

thisgirl13
August 19th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I'm on my knees thanking God that she isn't my mother, that's for sure.

I can't imagine the strength and arms of steel this woman must have, not to mention brass to even attempt this.

Imagine how she must discipline her kids. And the "when I was your age, we walked ___ miles through the freezing ___ to get to school, and we did it in our bare feet!" Except it's, "When I was 4 times your age, I swam butterfly for nearly three full days, and I did it in a lake."

There would never be a "I can't do this it's too hard" argument her kids could win either.

But bravo! Crazy-brave super lady!

geochuck
August 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Vicki Keith ???? Vicki Keith C.M. O. Ont.
Vicki Keith was described as an unlikely athlete, not apt to succeed in any sport. In school she was last to be picked for teams. No matter how this made her feel, she refused to accept the negative comments made about her abilities.

Matt S
August 20th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Uh, no.

Matt

pmbchill
August 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM
I wonder what she thought about. You would really have to like yourself to converse with yourself for that long. Hopefully she didn't have some lame song in her head. That would be torture! Wait a minute.....speaking of torture, 64 hour of fly. I'd like to know how her arms felt the next day. What an incredible event!

geochuck
August 20th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by pmbchill
I wonder what she thought about. You would really have to like yourself to converse with yourself for that long. Hopefully she didn't have some lame song in her head. That would be torture! Wait a minute.....speaking of torture, 64 hour of fly. I'd like to know how her arms felt the next day. What an incredible event!
Beatles song "It's A Hard Days Night".

FindingMyInnerFish
August 21st, 2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by geochuck
Beatles song "It's A Hard Days Night".

Good choice! ;)

Of course, she might also have tried the traveling song from my school kid days, "100 bottles of beer in a wall.. a hundred bottles of beer... take one down, pass it around... 99 bottles of beer in a wall..." which if she started w/ maybe a thousand bottles might last a bit longer than starting with 100. But all that beer is probably dehydrating. ;)

Also, George, thanks for the background. I was one of those "last chosen" ppl when I was in school--except that even so, I'm still not quite... QUITE ready for 64 hours of butterfly. :eek: But I'm all the more impressed by her resolve and courage. But...BUTTERFLY?? WOW! Just WOW!

knelson
August 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
I wonder how she swam this because 77 km in 64 hours is an average of 1.2 km per hour. In other words her overall pace was 5:00 (five minutes) per 100 meters. She must have taken a lot of rest stops, but I don't know how you can do anything for that long without falling asleep, especially when you're exerting that amount of effort.

geochuck
August 22nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
Lake Ontario 77 k could be like swimming 400k wind water currents river flows water temp. The part of the lake were she swam is always warm. The winds are generally westerly which blows warm water to that end of the lake. I have not seen any thing that says these things. Just that she made it. As you swim a long swim the farther you go the bigger the drop off eg you may start at 30 min a mile and end up swimming 1 hr per mile. ( I would start at the pace of the race about 22 min a mile end up depended on the race, have even ended up just trying to get to the finish line) 77k is nearly 50 miles. The 35 mile cross lake ontarioswim, Niagara On The Lake to Toronto could take 10 to 30 or even 40 hrs dependig on Wind direction, water temperature, and the Niagara River current, which is wind relevant. Wind direction can drop the temp 20 or even 30 degrees in less than one hr.

Karen Duggan
August 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Did she use breaststroke kick? I would think that would change things dramatically.
I have a hard time staying focused during the hour swim, so 64 hours is totally preposterous for me to even fathom! And then to do it fly! I couldn't do it, wouldn't want to even, but if someone had a gun pointed at my head... I'd tell them to pull the trigger! Just kidding. If someone had a gun pointed to my head and I had to swim 64 hours of fly, I'd much prefer a breaststroke kick and an inflatable pillow to sleep on :p

knelson
August 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Some people walk in their sleep, so maybe she swims in her sleep! Honestly, if I did swim in my sleep, I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be fly :)

aquageek
August 22nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
Someone needs to explain this to me. 100 meters in 5 minutes is excruciatingly slow. I realize that's an average but at that pace I have to wonder if it truly was a continuous swim. Are you allowed to get out for a few minutes during this thing? Geochuck adds some nice factors that would impact her pace but I would think if you fought all those items, it would be terrilby hard to swim for 64 hours straight.

I'll say it - there's something fishy about this.

geochuck
August 22nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Thought you may like this site. Lots of marathon swimming stuff. Ted is a friend of mine and he has a famous swimming dog http://www.sdogv.com/swim.html

gull
August 22nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
More info about her at this site:

http://www.penguinscanfly.ca/index.cfm?page=swim

geochuck
August 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
She wore a wet suit???? Not a true swim.

Now this is a true swimmer.

From 1956 onwards, Abouheifís triumphs were both impressive and recurrent. He won the Michigan Race (60 km) which entailed 36 hours swimming, pocketing $15,000, a fortune at that time. The list goes on. Abouheif was five times winner of the St. John Lake race in NorthWest Quebec, in icy water. He then won the "Montreal", a relay race which he won alone for about 28 hours because his partner fell ill ( I was in this race). He won the Capri - Naples four or five times and the Rio de la Plata in which he took part at his own cost because of some obscure intrigue in the Federation. This race was the longest of his career (250 km) from Rosario to Buenos Aires - 60 hours of swimming. He says that it would be too tedious to list all the races he won or countries he visited.

gull
August 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
She didn't wear a wet suit. Warning: Tri's should not read the following excerpt.

"Marathon Swimmers can not use wet suits. Wet Suits provide extra buoyancy that can lead to artificially increased speed, or apparent endurance, of the person wearing the suit. Even in the frigid waters of the English Channel, the marathon swimming governing bodies refuse to recognise or monitor swims involving the use of wet suits. American swimmer Ted Erikson, who swam the second two-way crossing of the English Channel in 1965, likens wearing a wet suit in a marathon swim to completing the Tour de France on a moped."

aquageek
August 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by gull80
...likens wearing a wet suit in a marathon swim to completing the Tour de France on a moped."

Great, now all the tris will go add mopeds to their collection of toys.

bitwiz
August 22nd, 2005, 02:32 PM
I don't think she wore the wetsuit, she did it by the marathon swim rules. I could be wrong though.

Some of the stuff Vicki accomplished: http://soloswims.com/keith.htm

geochuck
August 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
As a comparison Abou Heif 60k in 36 hours Swimming crawl could be thought of as slow. But the winds in Lake Michigan that day were North Westerly and made for slow time.

knelson
August 22nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
How about this guy that swam across Lake Superior earlier this month?
http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0508/06/metro-271109.htm

He has now swam all five Great Lakes. However, I think he does crawl and it looks like he wears a wet suit. Wimp! ;)

pmbchill
August 22nd, 2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
Did she use breaststroke kick? I would think that would change things dramatically.
I have a hard time staying focused during the hour swim, so 64 hours is totally preposterous for me to even fathom! And then to do it fly! I couldn't do it, wouldn't want to even, but if someone had a gun pointed at my head... I'd tell them to pull the trigger! Just kidding. If someone had a gun pointed to my head and I had to swim 64 hours of fly, I'd much prefer a breaststroke kick and an inflatable pillow to sleep on :p

Being on the pilot boat WATCHING this event would make me die of boredom!