PDA

View Full Version : Question for female swimmers regarding suits

Sheala
August 20th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Hello goilz!

I'm new to swimming, having grown up with a very strong fear of water and now, at 30, have decided it's a fear I will defeat!

I've been swimming now for 3 months and I'm having trouble fitting into swimsuits. I'm well-endowed and it seems like no matter the suit (though I've clung to the racerback speedos) the collar of the suit ends up inching lower and lower with each lap. I've tried wearing jogging bras along with my suit to help, but the same problem appears. I end up feeling extremely self conscious of it and it affects my open turns (as I'm trying to discreetly yank my suit back up!)

Is it as simple as getting a suit sized in a "long"?

Is there any specific suit that anyone has had any experience with that is better than others?

Any tricks of the trade?

Where is your favorite place to pick up your suits?

I would truly appreciate any input and the time taken to respond.

Sheala

IndyGal
August 20th, 2005, 09:14 PM
My guess is you need a smaller suit. I'm fairly well-endowed myself, and I've discovered that if a suit fits in the dressing room, then it will be sliding all over the place once I'm in the pool. Suits seems to loosen up by at least one size wet. I buy mine so that I have to struggle my way into it dry, but in the pool I never have to worry about where it's going. :D I also have much better luck with wide straps (or the TYR Dimaxback, which narrower but still supportive) than I do anything with spaghetti-style straps. I bought a thin-strap suit once and it looked great dry, but I was constantly tugging it back into place.

Donna
August 20th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Sheala,

Since loosing enough weight to move out of the plus sizes, I found I have the same problem you do with the Speedo suits. For me the Tyr suits fit better. Just try a few other brands.

Nette
August 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I agree with IndyGal. The speedo suits do seem to have to bo bought in smaller sizes than you think you would wear. I know from experience the smaller the suit size the more uncomfortable the suit can be, but you will recive much better results from a smaller suit.

PeirsolFan
August 21st, 2005, 12:37 AM
It is as simple as buying a long size. You'll have more material to pull up over yourself and the neckline wont slip down.

Another option is to free yourself of Speedo racers (which don't come with a "bra shelf") and use a standard Speedo crossback with one built in. Those are recommended for training anyway.

Sheala
August 21st, 2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks girls!

I'm going to go w/ the consensus and try a new brand of suits in a smaller size.

Where do you purchase your TYR's?

IndyGal
August 21st, 2005, 11:36 AM
I like www.kastawayswimwear.com (although that's partially because they also have a location here in Indianapolis).

hmlee
August 21st, 2005, 01:30 PM
I get all my suits at Keifer....but that probably doesn't help you unless you live up in wisconsin or illinois :(. They do have an online site - kiefer.com - so when you figure out your best brand/size they can be useful for grabbing discounted items!

Mary
August 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Hi, I also live in Houston.

I usually buy on-line (grab bag specials), but I recently bought a TYR suit at the Texas Swim Shop, 11246 S. Post Oak Rd., #102, Houston, Texas
(713) 723-0910.

I also have purchased suits at Lane Four Swim Shop, 6850 Hwy 6, Suite 121, Houston, TX 77083, 281-530-5520. I don't remember what brands they stock but you could call and see.

I hope that this helps.

Donna
August 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM
I get mine from www.swimoutlet.com most of the time. You may also want to try various styles of suits, they each fit alittle differently.

Swimmy
August 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM
I like Aardvark....www.aardvarkswim.com

sanwin
August 23rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
I to am well endowed in the chest, I have always had suits that don't cover in the sides, I really love the TYR suit it is cut high in the chest and arm, Go try alot of suits on , try longer toso in a smaller size

Dennis Tesch
August 23rd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Sheila,

I work in retail swim shop (www.pocolocosw.com) and I have few suggestions for you.

1. TYR makes a great fitness suit that has a shelve bra in it. It looks and feels just like the racing suit, but has the selve bra for more support.

2. YOu can try a Nike suit. They tend to run a little bigger in length than Speedo and TYR, which means if you buy a smaller tighter suit, you should have a bit more room.

Good luck in your search.

Dennis

sdswimmer
August 23rd, 2005, 05:36 PM
You could try a 2pc. I can't stand 1 pc for ld swimming the bottom pulls at the top. I like a workout bikini but others I swim with prefer the tankinis some of which come with a shelf bra.