PDA

View Full Version : I'm venting... Community Politics and Swimming.

-@^@-
August 21st, 2005, 09:53 PM
The community I live in has 2 High School pools that are closed about 90 percent of the time do to the differences of opinion between the 2 "Pool Directors". There are no public swim times and our Masters Team has not been able to get pool time in over a month. It is really frustrating. Being new to the community I don't really want to make waves but the whole thing just makes me so frustrated. Writing this has actually helped a little.
Has anyone else encountered such an issue? Please share...

USMSarah
August 21st, 2005, 11:34 PM
That's awful you guys haven't had any pool time for a month! However, I'm not sure what you should do... sorry that I can't be more of a help.

Are there any other pools in your area that you can go to? If these HS pools are the only ones you can get into... maybe you guys can talk to the pool managers and see if they'll give you some water time if you guys will help out at any of the high school meets... like be timers or whatever... just a thought.

F'ueco
August 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
What about the option for 6000 swim, 1000 kick, and 4000 pull.

Then you can get down to business.

Matt S
August 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hey, it's been a while since we had a flaming argument. I'll risk an incredibly arrogant, insensitive, and un-PC comment.

One of the most remarkable aspects of swimming is inverted IQ pyramid. To wit, if you look at the masses of "fitness" swimmers and mediocre competitive swimmers, you will find a stunning percentage of doctors, lawyers, professional money managers, engineers, college professors. A cornucopia of people with advanced degrees and notable professional acheivements. Now let's look at the top, the elite swimmers, coaches and pool managers. SOME (not all) of these people are remarkably shallow, self-centered, unimaginative and insecure BLOCK HEADS who clearly reached their "Peter Principle" point when asked to fill out a lifeguarding schedule. Just astounding.

There, in the style of the unnamed one, I have made the stupidly profound (or profoundly stupid, take your pick) statement of the day. Please feel free to flame away; I painted the bullseye on my own backside.

Matt

P.S. In defense of the aforementioned pool managers who are alleged to not get along, what is the reliability of our information? Are we certain there is not a health, maintenance or unavailability of staffing issue that they have worked diligently to solve with scant appreciation from us the nattering public at large?

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Many people think that having something going on in a pool is better than aving nothing going on in it. In many cases that is true. However, in many cases it isn't. This is because of increases in insurance, pay for lifeguards, eletricity and cleaning. We have a wonderful, relatively new high school pool that sits empty at least 90% of the time also. But to have a masters swim team there would cost somuch that we can't afford to use it.

It woudl be nice if the world worked how we think it should work instead of how it can work.

gull
August 22nd, 2005, 10:48 AM
Weren't the pools built with tax dollars? Seems to me the public should have access to the facilities.

Matt, who you calling mediocre?

Karen Duggan
August 22nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Got a couple grand laying around? Endless Pool?

I don't think you're mediocre Gull :p

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 22nd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by gull80
Weren't the pools built with tax dollars? Seems to me the public should have access to the facilities.

Matt, who you calling mediocre?

Our high school pool was built with our education foundation. they own the pool. the mission sttement of the foundationis to raise money and build facilities to be used for the education and physical training of student atheletes. Recently, there has been a growing trend of having pools built by foundations. sometimes the foundation turns the pool over tot he schools, sometimes rthey don't.

Matt S
August 22nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Gull: actually, me. There, I said it. I'm mediocre. I'll never win a USMS Championship (unless, of course, I live to 101 and no one else does, and even then, Tall Paul will still probably beat me up with his substantially larger walker before we get in the pool).

Karen: $2000? Who is your local dealer? They want $18,000+ and I have a copy (a 3 year old copy) of the DVD as proof.

gull
August 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Matt S
There, I said it. I'm mediocre. I'll never win a USMS Championship...

I don't think failing to win a USMS championship means you're mediocre--you're still faster than 99.99% of the population. Personally, I plan to outlast the competition in my age group. It's a war of attrition.

Conniekat8
August 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Matt S
P.S. In defense of the aforementioned pool managers who are alleged to not get along, what is the reliability of our information? Are we certain there is not a health, maintenance or unavailability of staffing issue that they have worked diligently to solve with scant appreciation from us the nattering public at large?

Hearing that those are highschool pools, I'm imagining a school board or administration and liability issues or somesuch zero tolerance policy deadlock somewhere along the way.
It would be interesting to see what the holdup really is.

cinc3100
August 23rd, 2005, 12:29 AM
Well, I remember my old high school pool being closed even to summer rec swimming and lessions for years. High Schools are somethings difficult to deal when it comes to outside groups,particularly if they are adults. Try a Y pool or a public rec pool, if there are any in your area. Even if the team has to go out 20 miles or so. I' m lucky in the Tucson area few of the pools are eitther JR high or high school. The pools are public rec pools and the two high schools workout after the lap swimming period. I'm spoil, sometimes I have a whole lane to myself.

Rob Copeland
August 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM
Work with the Pool Director, work with the principal, work with the school board. Find out what specifically are the issues with expanding pool usage and hours, then address solutions to the issues. Why are there no public swimming hours? Put together a business plan that demonstrates the value to the school and school system in allowing your masters team to use the facility (revenue, civic involvement,Ö) and include solutions to the usage issues.

And while most likely the pools were built with tax payer funds, so were the classrooms, the gym and the cafeteria. Just because there are our tax dollars at work, unfortunately doesnít give us the right of access.

Get your LMSC leaders involved. And if necessary have them get the national leaders involved.

Paul Smith
August 23rd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Matt, the only thing mediocre about you is your occasional poor choice of racing attire (bet you thought we forgot the hole in the butt suit at Federal Way).

Besides, anyone that knows me can attest to the fact that I'm simply not a land animal and unless that walker is turbo charged there ain't no way I'm going to catch you.

Side note, speaking of not being a land animal evil-goodsmith decied to try and be a runner last week and came down with a severe case of patella tendenitis......tri geeks take note and fire away! I tried to explain to him all the physics involved with a 6' 3", 210 lb creature with his weight in his upper body (not lower like our bike/run friends) trying to run but alas he didn't listen!

On a serious note, this is one of the most basic factors that impact all the prior discussions about our sport dying, mens/kids swimming declining, etc........if there was ever a place to start a campaign of change this would be it!

Rob Copeland
August 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Paul Smith
On a serious note, this is one of the most basic factors that impact all the prior discussions about our sport dying, mens/kids swimming declining, etc........if there was ever a place to start a campaign of change this would be it! Paul, I absolutely agree!!!!!!!!!

And for those people attending the Masters Swimming Annual meeting next month in Greensboro, NC, Mel Goldstein will be conducting a Club Mentoring workshop addressing this very topic, along with others.

I have heard that Mel puts on a terrific presentation with extremely valuable information. If you are a convention delegate this is a must see event. If you arenít a delegate, find out who is and make sure they present Melís materials on their return. Or contact Mel and see if he would be willing to take his show on the road to your LMSC.

TheGoodSmith
August 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Dude.... I weight 185, not 210 !

John Smith

Paul Smith
August 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
sorry JS, got you confused with Eor (fattest dog I've ever seen)!

TheGoodSmith
August 23rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Eeyore is not fat !

He's just a little tired and possibly depressed after this weekend.

John

FindingMyInnerFish
August 23rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
500 Swim, 200 Kick, 300 Pull 400 Swim, 200 Drill, 200 Kick, 200 Pull (yeah, I know I'm picking more than one) and 64 hour butterfly (okay, let's skip that last one) ;)

+

500 Calorie Muffin, 200 mg Caffine (delivered to poolside...nothing like multitasking!) :D , 300 Second Shower (not delivered to poolside but often delivered to my poolside towel by kids fooling around while waiting for the open rec swim)

= a good time in the a.m.!

As for the pool problem, I can't offer much advice, but I can sympathize. Adult swimming (and adult programs generally) tend to get short shrift if conflicts arise as to who can use what at what time. It's great that kids can get fit and exercise, but I do think also that (1) it's good for kids to have adult role models who care about working out and staying fit; (2) Adults need some fun time too--in fact, probably too few take the time they need; (3) the squeaky wheel gets the grease--sometimes it takes persistence, though.

Good luck, and next time I go to a workout, I'll be looking for those muffins and coffee in btw sets. ;)

Matt S
August 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Oh Tallness,

Yes, most everyone had not seen fit to recall the sartorial spendor of the competitors to the 2001 (I say again 2001) LC Nationals, until you start bringing it up again. Freud would have a jolly good time examing your motivations.

BTW, since when has mediocre become a synonym for "shockingly bad"?

Moreover, I agree wholeheartedly with your serious point. Let us all exercise our creativity and let a thousand swimming programs bloom. Risk adverse pool managers who refuse to do anything more than what they have done in the past (and guess what, as funding cuts take hold, that list gets shorter) are killing us.

Matt

cinc3100
August 26th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Well, you know us Medicroe swimmers don't have that good of speed next to most master swimmers at the meets but compared to the regular folk that workout we don't swim as bad. Take my breast, now when I workout at the rec pool, this woman who could swim faster in the other threes strokes, I could swim breastsroke better. Its just the masters system where former people that were college all americans or national level swimmers make us good bad.

Paul Smith
August 27th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Matt,
I see you so rarely that sadly the last time was the "vision" I was left with.....sorry..but it was kinda funny and Priscilla and I had a good time harrassing you about it!

I would love to see someone like Mr. Whitten put together a guide to saving swimming at this level much as he did for college.

Here in Evergreen the local rec center has been so effective at NOT supporting swimming that a fairly developed masters team has fallen apart and the age group/high school coach finally laft after 18 years. Needless to say there's a decent pool and oppurtuntiy but rec center doesn't see it that way.