PDA

View Full Version : Psychological Question

F'ueco
August 24th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Why do I feel more comfortable swimming in the ocean when the water is dirty than when it is somewhat clean?

It seems that when the water is cloudier and I can't see my arms; I don't think about what else could be in the water. But when I can see a little bit, I get nervous about sharks and sea lions and other fun things that might bump into me.

FindingMyInnerFish
August 24th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Probably everyone has their comfort levels set based on all kinds of things--maybe experience or maybe what you heard as a kid or any number of things. A friend of mine CANT' STAND murky water. It's probably as unnerving to her as clear water is to you. Me, I'm not sure. Do I want to see the potential denizen of the deep in time to (ha!) possibly escape? Or do I want to have my last moments (in case escape turns out to be impossible) spent in stress-free blissful ignorance. ;)

Note to self: include shark repellant in swim bag next time....

F'ueco
August 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I also wonder why I don't feel the same way in a swimming pool...

And during races I never feel that way. There were probably more people in the water on Tuesday than there are during most of the races (there was some lifeguard camp for kids going on, so plenty of shark bait out there); yet I still felt uneasy, and unwilling to swim out to the 1/4 mile buoy, so I just swam laps out to the 1/8 mile marker.

Ah well, the water was too warm to do any useful training anyway. 60!

Guvnah
August 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by F'ueco

Why do I feel more comfortable swimming in the ocean when the water is dirty than when it is somewhat clean? ...

I also wonder why I don't feel the same way in a swimming pool...

Frankly, I would have to wonder about ANYone who would feel more comfortable in (the pool) when the water is dirty than when it is somewhat clean ...

Glad you cleared that up for us! :)

sdswimmer
August 26th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I was wondering last night, why I feel more nervous swimming off beaches I haven't been before even if they are clearly safer than where I usually swim. Somehow there are terrible currents or strange beasts in the placid water with 2 ft swell and many lifeguards that will get me long before the 10ft breakers and moving rips on a stormy day at my own beach! I get more jelly fish stings per mile swum, more rips more big waves and bumps by wildlife at "home" but the nerves won't listen!

-rb