PDA

View Full Version : May I ask a novice question?

Sheala
August 25th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks for considering to answer it by reading it!

I am a novice, 3 months in and started because I wanted to defeat a fear of water and to switch major aerobic excercise from running (which was damaging to my back) to swimming. I've fallen in love with the sport and I think....I think it might actually look like I'm not longer trying to drown myself while I freestyle. I'm slow (100yds in 2 min 29 sec or 500yrds in 13 min 20s) but I'm pretty steady.

I am signed up for a lap swimming class that will start on the 7th, I'm very excited at the prospect of having a coach to help me work on my techinque. However, until then, what in the world should I be doing with my legs? I'm finding my ankles are getting pretty sore at then end of my work out (I do a solid hour) and I question myself on whether my legs should be straight out and in a scissor motion or closer together w/ my feet doing most of the fluttering.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Sheala

Seagurl51
August 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM
You're whole leg should kick. You're legs should be straight, but don't lock any of your joints. Start your kick at your hip and let if flow through your leg. You're ankles should just carry on the motion. If you're having problems with ankle flexabilty, fins will help you there. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

scyfreestyler
August 25th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
You're whole leg should kick. You're legs should be straight, but don't lock any of your joints. Start your kick at your hip and let if flow through your leg. You're ankles should just carry on the motion. If you're having problems with ankle flexabilty, fins will help you there. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
Good information here. I think I have heard before that you should keep your kick within your own shadow. A kick that originates from the upper leg/hip will generate more power and create less drag that a kick from the knee down.

PS-You are in Wa. now Kyra? First Idaho, then some southern state..Texas I believe, and now Wa.? That is a busy summer!!

Seagurl51
August 25th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by 330man
PS-You are in Wa. now Kyra? First Idaho, then some southern state..Texas I believe, and now Wa.? That is a busy summer!!

It was Texas. Yea it was a busy summer. :) Fun though...tons of fun.:D

jenmik
August 29th, 2005, 11:05 AM
if you buy the freestyle video from www.totalimmersion.net it'll be the best $$ you ever spent, and your entire body will thank you for it.
good luck!