PDA

View Full Version : Momentous Landmarks coming...

Peter Cruise
August 26th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I couldn't help noticing that we are fast approaching 5000 threads and 50,000 threads. This is kind of neat. There are lots of new people perusing the site & I thought we might nominate, or remind ourselves of some of the more memorable and/or contentious thread topics. Here are a couple off the top of my head:

National Qualifying standards for Nationals

Pool measurement errors & effect on top ten compilations

I realize that I have not used the proper thread titles, but in some cases these topics spanned several threads. Have you any others to remember?

I also would like to take a moment to thank our tireless adminstrator/monitors, who have soldiered on doing a yucky job despite severe (at times) provocation & our sometimes petulant & immature (moi?) reactions to other posters. Perhaps they would like to nominate a most annoying thread?

jim clemmons
August 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Perhaps they would like to nominate a most annoying thread?

Or thread poster?

TheGoodSmith
August 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I will do everything in my power to be nominated for this prestigous award one day.

John Smith

newmastersswimmer
August 26th, 2005, 04:02 PM
originally posted by The Evil-GoodSmith

I will do everything in my power to be nominated for this prestigous award one day.

Seriously John......How much power will that really take?....Something in the nano-watt range perhaps....ROTFLMAO!!!

Newmastersswimmer

Frank Thompson
August 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Mr. Goodsmith:

I was wondering when you were going to contribute today. The reason why I keep calling you Mr. Goodsmith is because I really believe there is some good in you. That you do have good intentions despite all things that may be not be good in what you post. I don't know if you could really get this award.

You faked me out by closing your own thread when I though it was closed by the USMS moderators because of highlighing the differences between men and women can be politically incorrect.

I think its still to early in time for you to be considered for this. However keep the posts up about the visiting triathletes, USA swimming being doomed, men against women, foreign swimmers, no USMS records for non citizens, and all USA World team for the best swimmers to kick some booty. Then maybe, just maybe you might be considered.

Now, I not going to saying anything more because I don't want to get myself in trouble. The last time something like this happened I got in trouble. So no reference to anybody else.

Seagurl51
August 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I have two words.....Soap Opera. ;)

newmastersswimmer
August 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
originally posted by Seagurl

I have two words.....Soap Opera.

You mean The real "As the Swimming World Turns"?

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
August 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM
The one and only!

SwiminONandON
August 26th, 2005, 05:27 PM
*sniffle* ... as the swimming world turns ... the good old days ... *sniff*

aquageek
August 26th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
Perhaps they would like to nominate a most annoying thread?

Foreign posted threads excluded.

newmastersswimmer
August 26th, 2005, 11:04 PM
originally posted by Frank Thompson

Mr. Goodsmith:

I was wondering when you were going to contribute today. The reason why I keep calling you Mr. Goodsmith is because I really believe there is some good in you. That you do have good intentions despite all things that may be not be good in what you post. I don't know if you could really get this award.

Yikes Frank! Did you hit your head on something today of somethin?......Keep it together now Frank!!.......Your starting to freak me out now!....J/k of course!....I guess the Evil-GoodSmith may not actually be "pure" Evil to the core?.....i.e. there may actually be a shred of good in there somewhere??....Like I said somewhere else....I actually followed (and agreed with) some of his demented burnt orange stained logic in some of those controversial threads he started.

Newmastersswimmer

Karen Duggan
August 26th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Has anyone ever attempted holding a party via Internet? We could celebrate the 50,000 that way :p

Wanna pick a date and I'll send out the invitations? :)

I know my husband would think I was the quintessential geek if I said, "Sorry honey, but I have to get to the computer for the party!"

Karen Duggan
August 26th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I'd also like to start some USMS Web Awards. Categories include:

most posts

most interesting thread

most responses to a thread

best avatar

best made-up-name/name change -eh, hem Scansy!

person with the best advice

best non-swimming related thread

best poll

and???????????

Of course we'll have to have a nominating committee, and pick a date to announce these awards as well. Perhaps the night of our geek party? :p

Seagurl51
August 26th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Those are some great ideas Karen. (Hello by the way....been a while :)) I dont' see why we couldn't have a party. We could set up a chat room or something. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Award ideas:

Best rivalry

Longest running thread

Most original thread topic

Most informative thread

Best name for a thread

knelson
August 27th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
Has anyone ever attempted holding a party via Internet?

I don't know, but I'm on another board where members periodically post after drinking a little too much. The results ain't pretty. Apparently when you're drunk your speech and your typing is slurred!

newmastersswimmer
August 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I want to go ahead and start the nominations by nominating "The Meaning of Swimming" for the most creative thread ....as it is full of creative swimming poetry.....poetry that has now been organized into a very attractive and colorful poetry book courtesy of our one and only wonderful Seagurl Kyra!....I think that she (or I?) will be supplying a link soon to an elecronic copy of this book (which I have already received and reviewed).

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Don't forget about the category of most annoying thread/ thread starter......We don't want to cheat you know who out of a sure first place finish now!!

Seagurl51
August 27th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks Jim :o I'm glad you liked it. And you're going to have to post the link...my computer is still being dumb.

Karen Duggan
August 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Kirk,

I love the "not only is their speech slurred but also their typing!" LOL :p

aquageek
August 27th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
We don't want to cheat you know who out of a sure first place finish now!!

Are we going to separate early bloomers versus late bloomers in this category?

Sam Perry
August 27th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Are we going to separate early bloomers versus late bloomers in this category?

I think we need to have a V02 Max subcategory...

hmlee
August 27th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I am officially frightened, lol!

Karen Duggan
August 28th, 2005, 10:45 AM
How about "restraining orders filed" ?

Karen Duggan
August 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I really liked the thread You Know You're A Swimmer When... in addition to the poetry, that would make a good book- limited audience mind you (limited in more ways than one LOL!!! :p)

newmastersswimmer
August 30th, 2005, 05:30 AM
originally posted by Karen Dugan

I really liked the thread You Know You're A Swimmer When... in addition to the poetry, that would make a good book- limited audience mind you (limited in more ways than one LOL!!! )

I believe there were also a couple of spin off threads called something like: "You know your swimming in the South when...."
and "You know your swimming in the North when....." that were also pretty funny....although the original thread you referred to is by far the largest one (it also received a 5 star rating I believe?).
Perhaps the "You know you are a swimmere when...." thread can be classified as the most humurous thread? (or just funniest thread) so that it does not have to compete with the meaning of swimming for most creative thread?

And on that note, (in order to shamelessly campaign for the meaning of swimming as the most creative thread), I will leave a link here to the Yahoo Group where you can access an electronic copy of the poetry book that kyra (AKA Seagurl) put together called "The Meaning of Swimming: A Collection". Unfortunately you will have to actually join the group first before you can access the book (but you only have to fill out a small electronic form to join which takes less time than reading one of my messages...LOL!!). After you join the group, you will find the book stored under "Files" from the lefthand site menu. I hope y'all enjoy it...It looks like Kyra spent a fair amount of time on it!):

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_meaning_of_swimming_poetry_book/

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Maybe someone should volunteer to make the "You Know Your a Swimmer When...." book as well?

aquageek
August 30th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Speaking of knowing your swimming in the South. You for certain know you are swimming in the South when you worry about a hurricane's potential impact on your swim practice schedule.

tjburk
August 30th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Even though he hasn't been here in a while...we need a category for Mooses!!!! And other paranormal activity!!!! LOL ;) :D

Frank Thompson
August 30th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Please don't keep swinging pool cues at bee hives on these forums. It nice here when cetain people stay away but like the pool cue hitting the hive hard, if they come back we will all get bad bee stings.

Seagurl51
August 31st, 2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Maybe someone should volunteer to make the "You Know Your a Swimmer When...." book as well?

There's 323 "You Know You're a Swimmer When..." sayings that would make sense outside the context of the thread. (I got really bored yesterday) If we split the remaining between the North and South threads we could make a desk calander.