PDA

View Full Version : Hour Swim: What Do You Think About?

Bill Volckening
August 29th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

SWIMMER is planning a promotional piece on the One Hour Swim, and we want to know what you think about during the One Hour Swim.

Are you totally focused on your stroke?

Do you try to keep count?

Does your mind wander?

Do you sing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

So, what do you think about whan you do the One Hour Swim?

Please reply directly to: Editor@usms.org

Thank you,
Bill Volckening, Editor
SWIMMER magazine

Kevin in MD
August 29th, 2005, 05:35 PM
50 50 50 50 50 50 50
100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150
200 200 200 200 200 200 200 200

It goes something like that until I get to about 1200, take a drink and start all over.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 29th, 2005, 09:03 PM
i count strokes. Why would I need ot do anything different?

hmlee
August 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Now are we referring to just like....swimming for an hour? Or doing an hour long workout? Because they're two very different things...

jswim
August 30th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Kevin in MD
50 50 50 50 50 50 50
100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150
200 200 200 200 200 200 200 200

It goes somethign like that until I get to about 1200, take a drink and start all over.

ROFL! well at least I know i'm not the only one who has to do that to keep track!
Occasionally (when I don't do as above), my mind will wander to current events, things I need to get done, or sometimes (and i like this the best), I will just let go and feel the water. Try and experience every movement my body is making and what it feels like to mover through the water... heh heh.. I know.. corny or not, moving through water is one of the coolest feelings EVER!

other than that it's... 50 50 50 50 50 -----100 100 100 100...lol

jswim
August 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
ps..

strongbad... how can you type with boxing gloves on? ;)

love it!

Bill Volckening
August 30th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by hmlee
Now are we referring to just like....swimming for an hour? Or doing an hour long workout? Because they're two very different things...

Hi,

We are referring to the USMS One Hour Championship, a USMS long distance national championship event contested each January. The objective is to swim as far as you can in one hour. For more details on past events, visit the long distance section of the USMS web site at:

http://www.usms.org/longdist/ldchamps.php

Bill

PS: Thank you to everyone who has responded. We have received enough material to do the piece, so no need for more responses at this time.

hmlee
August 30th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Huh...learn something new everyday. Never even knew that existed, thanks for the link. :)

ande
August 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM
in the last hour swim i did

which was years ago
circa 1990 maybe

I was thinking about

Why did i take this out so hard?

Ande

Conniekat8
August 30th, 2005, 05:43 PM
First of all, i couldn;t make it through wothout someone counting, not necessarily dropping the lap counter every lap, but just keeping track of it. Maybe dropping the counter in every 10 or so laps.
I start off with hopping in and loosening up first few laps, then building up during the warmup, till I settle into a pace that I feel like I could hold forever.
Then I take account of all the body parts, make sure they're still functioning and in the right places. See if anything is getting too sore or too tight, whether I need to change up the stroke a little bit to not cramp up.
I try to break it up into sets of 500's where I build 1-4, take a 100 moderate breather, then go at it again.
Every 2-3 laps I spend most of the lap trying to figure out whether I miscounted or not.
35 minutes into it I start losiong track which side of the pool I'm at.
40 minutes into it I start contemplating whether to stop and loosen up my goggles or just tough out the headache, and hope I don;t have to go to the bathroom before it's all over.

...50 minutes into it I'm wondering if they'll tell me to stop when the hour is up, or if my pals will just let me swim up and down for a while longer and laugh. ;)

Then when it's all said and done, half the times I forget to actually mail in my form.

mbriones
August 30th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I just keep hitting my finger counter at each flip and listen to my SwiMP3 which I load up with my favorite songs to swim by, such as...Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here (great warm up song), The Kinks Picture book - that one really is great for rhthm, a bit of Sheryl Crow, No Doubt, Train, Nickelback, etc. Before the finger counter I'd go 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
(etc)

Now if my allergies would quit kicking my petooty, I'll be happy. With Convention just 2 weeks away, I know I'm a whuss at this point. Had to lay off swimming for 4 months because my allergies would not leave me alone...

knelson
August 31st, 2005, 01:04 AM
The two times I've done it my strategy was to get into a groove where I could maintain a good pace and more or less zone out. I failed both times! In both cases I ended up thinking about every stroke and that's a loooong way to do that. The one thing I don't want to do is keep track of my yardage, or really where I'm at in terms of time. There's nothing more depressing than thinking you must be getting close to finishing and you look at the clock and it's at 20 minutes!

I decided not to do it this past January. Maybe I'll give it another try in 2006. Time makes you forget just how painful it is :)

Kevin in MD
August 31st, 2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by mbriones
I just keep hitting my finger counter at each flip and listen to my SwiMP3

Under rule 102.15.9 in the disqualifications section or part 1 of the rules both of these devices would be illegal.

"Swimmers are not permitted to wear or use any device or substance to help their speed, pace, or buoyancy during a race. Goggles may be worn and rubdown oil applied if not considered excessive by the referee."

I am trying to get clarified whether these rules apply to long distance swims. You can see my post in the officials section. Long distance has its own set of disqualifications and make no mention of these rules but there has been no official statement yet.

I do recall that when the rule was changed to add the word pace last year, the announcement said that long distance swims were not affected, however that was on the old site and I can't find the announcement to positively verify it.

mbriones
August 31st, 2005, 10:16 AM
You mean my SwiMP3 is considered something to help with my pace? It just entertains me while I swim, makes the swim seem shorter. I couldn't imagine swimming for an entire hour in silence. I guess I'm spoiled rotten with my gadgets!!

shoalsswimmer
August 31st, 2005, 10:24 AM
I swam the one hour postal twice this past January in two different age groups. My birthday is January 12th, so I swam it once before at age 39 and again at age 40.

Since you have someone writing down your splits at each 50, no real need to have to count. There is a big pace clock on the wall at one end of the pool, so I knew where I was timewise. My counter would let me know when there were five minutes left and then when there was one minute remaining so I could pick it up.

During my first swim, I thought about -my pace, my wife and kids, planned an anniversary trip with my wife, my pace, why my left clavicle occasionally clicks, NFL playoffs, feel kind of tight - stretch it out, hope I'm holding under 1:25, my counter attaches a picture of a bikini clad female on a kickboard and holds it underwater for me to view on a few turns (thought about that for a while), do I really want to go to work today?, who am I counting for next?, okay, when I get to 30 minutes, it's all downhill from there, swim a hundred hard and 100 easy (did that a few times), came up with a pretty decent college playoff system that utilizes most of the bigger bowl games (BCS is ridiculous), I wonder if I'll at least get 4000 yards in, man, I kinda need to pee. Five minutes - pick it up, now I'm concentrating on form and kicking. I hate distance!

During my second swim 4 days later - why in the world am I doing this again? Pretty much the whole way.

mattson
August 31st, 2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Kevin in MD
Under rule 102.15.9 in the disqualifications section or part 1 of the rules both of these devices would be illegal.

"Swimmers are not permitted to wear or use any device or substance to help their speed, pace, or buoyancy during a race..."

Just put Schoenberg on your iPod. I defy anyone to say that listening to his atonal music will help your pace. ;)

Rowdy
September 1st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by mbriones
[B]I just keep hitting my finger counter at each flip and listen to my SwiMP3 which I load up with my favorite songs to swim by, such as...Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here (great warm up song), The Kinks Picture book - that one really is great for rhthm, a bit of Sheryl Crow, No Doubt, Train, Nickelback, etc. Before the finger counter I'd go 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
(etc)

B]

I don't have a finger counter so I do the 111111111112222222222...50 50 50 50 50 50 50 What was I thinking?51 51 51 51 51 51....

Can't be I ever figure out why I do it or find a good reason not to because I look forward to it every year.

Guvnah
September 2nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
So I replied by email, but I thought I would share it here.

I do math. Specifically, I am constantly figuring out if I am on pace for the goal I set, and if I am not, how much I have to pick it up in the time remaining to reach the goal. (Or, if I am ahead, how much I will beat my goal if I keep my current pace.) Stuff like that.

And I watch the clock. I know the pace I have set for myself, so I check at almost every 50 to see if I kept up or not. If I start picking up a second here or there, it encourages me to try for another and another. It makes an hour pass rather quickly!

Also, if I still have any brain-CPU left given my level of oxygen debt, I might start computing how much more (or less) I will have done than the guy in the next lane given the rate one of us is lapping the other.