PDA

View Full Version : Important Announcement: SWIMMER Sept./Oct.

Bill Volckening
September 1st, 2005, 03:06 PM
Dear Swimmers,

As you may know, the southeast region of the United States is experiencing one of the most devastating natural disasters in US history. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the US Postal Service has indefinitely suspended mail delivery in the hurricane stricken regions (New Orleans, Mandeville, LA, and six ZIP codes on Mississippi coast).

Because of this suspension, we must announce that there will be a slight delay in mailing the September/October issue of SWIMMER magazine, which was already slightly delayed to include coverage of USMS Nationals held in mid-August.

Our printing company alerted us this morning to the USPS notification, which has required them to reprocess the mailing lists and temporarily exclude recipients in restricted areas. The post office will not accept any mailings with restricted ZIP codes until the restrictions are lifted. Our printers are working as fast as they can, but the delay may be lengthened due to the post office having to catch up after the holiday weekend. We expect to mail the magazine next week, and will keep you posted on any new developments. We regret any inconvenience caused by this situation.

Sincerely,
Bill Volckening, Editor
SWIMMER

michaelmoore
September 1st, 2005, 04:28 PM
Our printing company alerted us this morning to the USPS notification, which has required them to reprocess the mailing lists and temporarily exclude recipients in restricted areas.

Bill - this seems like a very lame excuse. Mailings are done in zip code order. You go in and pull out the magazines to the SCFs where the postal service is not accepting mail. You count the magazines, make the changes on your report then submit the magazines to the Postal Service.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that I recieved the my July- August copy of USMS Swimmer on August 5th . And I was NOT alone, there were other members of my LMSC who did not receive Swimmer until after August 1.

I know it is not your fault and I do appreciate the heads up.

michael

SwiminONandON
September 1st, 2005, 04:54 PM
Bill, no worries ... there are FAR more important things going on right now for all of us to worry about than receiving our magazines.

I wish USMS could help in some way... perhaps a goggle, cap, suit, towel drive? We could sent new products down to some of the teams that were hit. I emailed Ashley Tappin (the coach of the U of NO team) to ask her if I could help. Perhaps USMS could help out that team ...

aquageek
September 1st, 2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by michaelmoore
Our printing company alerted us this morning to the USPS notification, which has required them to reprocess the mailing lists and temporarily exclude recipients in restricted areas.

Bill - this seems like a very lame excuse.

The compassion, the caring.

Bill Volckening
September 2nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
UPDATE: Our printers report that 93 copies (in the restricted zones) were pulled from the mailing. We have asked that those "extras" be sent to the USMS National Office so we will have the copies in reserve for those members when conditions improve.

Bill

michaelmoore
September 3rd, 2005, 01:55 AM
Thank you Bill

michael