PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane

Karen Duggan
September 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Just about a week and a half ago a fellow swimmer and friend, Ron, moved to New Orleans (from CA) with his wife and children. His wife's whole family lives there. We haven't heard from him yet and we're getting worried. (Not that we're a top priority right now!) He had talked about trying to workout at Tulane.

To everyone who has friends and loved ones down there our thoughts, hopes and prayers are with you. Soon enough, when school starts, our money will be with you too! I'm the student government advisor and our middle school will hold the biggest fundraiser for the Red Cross ever! We raised $6,000 for the tsunmai. I'm looking for $10-15,000. It's not a lot, but it should help a little bit. I believe we'll also send clothes as well.

What can USMS do, Bill? Or Jim M.? Anyone?
)

SwiminONandON
September 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Karen! I posted a similar thought in another thread. What about a drive not only for the necesities, but what about a drive for goggles, caps, and suits to be donated to some of the now homeless swim teams. Obviously the necesities are more important as of right now, and those needs need to be addressed first.

Down the line though I am think that teams (like the University or New Orleans team coached by Ashley Tappin) will need swim items too (pull buoys, paddles, etc.)

I don't know if there is a way to organize everything or not. I am willing to collect any and all donations, checks made payable to the red cross, and send them down on behalf of the USMS.

SwiminONandON
September 2nd, 2005, 11:43 AM
I'd like to add that we should focus on food, clothes, and money for now and swim items down the line ... but I think it'd be cool if we did a swim items drive in a few months ...

ande
September 2nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
our community is doing a 5 item necessity drive through the Capital Area Food bank, it's important for folks to go through proper channels to make sure items get there and can be used

1. diapers
2. peanut butter
3. tuna
4. bottled water and
5. Granola/Cereal Bars

many corporations offer matching programs for red cross donations, check and see if yours does

FEMA has a detailed listing of charities:
http://www.fema.gov/press/2005/katrinadonations.shtm

ande

Originally posted by SwiminONandON
I'd like to add that we should focus on food, clothes, and money for now and swim items down the line ... but I think it'd be cool if we did a swim items drive in a few months ...

Bill Volckening
September 2nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
Hi Karen,

I'm sure other people will have many good ideas. If there is an effort by Masters swimmers to support hurricane victims, we could print news and information about it in SWIMMER. That's probably the most significant way the magazine can help.

We are finalizing the contents of November/December right now, so any news would need to be in the January/February issue, at the earliest.

Bill

Guvnah
September 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Some ideas for materials to send to the area that I haven't seen suggested anywhere are:

Propane tanks. (Nothing to cook on. And if they could boil water, they could make potable drinking water.)

Shovels. (Once the water recedes, there will be silt and sludge everywhere.)

Toilet paper.

tjburk
September 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/specials/neworleanssatellite/index.html (http://)

Above is a link from the AP that shows the UNO Swim Facility where they had the Southern Masters Long Course Championships last month......looks like the facility made it through the hurricane and is not underwater!

Some advice on sending canned items......add can openers, one of the problems in FL last year was plenty of cans...nothing to open them with! (Non-electric of course!!!)

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 2nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
The most needed is money. If you raise something - raise money then have it go to the Red Cros or other relief agencies. That's there job.

conradical
September 8th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
The most needed is money. If you raise something - raise money then have it go to the Red Cros or other relief agencies. That's there job.

this is dead on accurate.

see:

http://www.firstgov.gov/Citizen/Topics/PublicSafety/Hurricane_Katrina_Recovery.shtml

nkace
September 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
There are many organizations you can give to.

HSUS-Humane Society
ASPCA-Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Noah's Wish
Best Friends

These are animal related sites. Some people who refuse to leave their homes is due to them not being allowed to take their pets.